single jumps | Golden Skate

single jumps

skatechick

Spectator
How long did it take everyone to learn their single jumps? Is it normal to learn your waltz in 15 minutes and your toe loop even quicker than that? Any salchow advice?

Lanie

On the Ice
The back scratch spin is something you have to master in order to do single jumps because that's your in air position. So my coach had me learn that. I'm still working on the waltz, though. :)

As for the salchow, try not to rush through it...take it easy. It's my worst jump.

starshinexavier

On the Ice
I started single jumps in 1993 and I could do up to lutz in 1996 and axel in 1997. Everyone progresses and learns things at their own rate, so it varies between people. There is no set time in which to learn things.

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
I can't give any advice about single jumps bcs I'm not there yet, but the waltz came fairly easily for me, a lot easier than I thought it would. If by "learn" you mean being able to execute a waltz jump from top speed w/ nice height and flow, then I haven't really learned it yet, but I can do a fairly decent beginning one and I learned it in about a half hour. Started by doing it from a standing position holding coach's hands, then stroking into it, then from backwards pumping w/ a step forward, and it took me a couple weeks more to be able to do it from back crossovers.

I have a question too - if you prefer CCW then do you have to learn a back scratch spin? Bcs isn't a back spin just the opposite of your natural rotational preference...? And so you'd do a regular scratch spin to imitate your in air position on jumps? Am I confused or analyzing too much? :confused: (Partly it's bcs I want to start on my single jumps NOW! haha)

Lanie

On the Ice
My coach taught me the back spin position in air for the loop... I get confused really easily, so I think you're right--it would be opposite. :) *blonde moment even though I'm not blonde*

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
Rachel - 'Fraid you're a bit confused. Whether or not you skate CW or CCW, as long as you do both your jumps and spins in that same direction, you would be learning a back scratch spin in order to help your jumps.

So if you jump and spin CCW, your back scratch spin is on your right leg, turning in a CCW direction.

If you jump and spin CW, your back scratch is on the left leg, turning in a CW direction.

Maybe the confusion kicks in if you jump one way and spin another!

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Much to my surprise, I'm a bit of a natural jumper, and I caught on to the half jumps fairly quickly, although getting height and flow came with much time. I have a fairly strong salchow and a decent toeloop, although I need work on that. I haven't tried any other single jumps yet. We're just beginning backspin (coach has explained it once), and she wants to work on that a bit before we try the loop. Everyone is different. I thought I'd prefer toe jumps, but so far, I like the waltz and sal best.

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
No, I *am* confused, probably because I haven't been taught a scratch spin yet! I often get confused because I read so much technical information about skating and analyze videos and stuff before I can even attempt to do the different things I'm learning about! I'll have to think about this some more though, thanks :)

PS: My coach jumps CCW and spins CW! I've never seen anyone do that before her. She modifies her preferences to teach us though, so I don't think my confusion came from that, but maybe it did.

Last edited:

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
Aha! I figured out where I got confused. I was thinking of "forward" and "backward" in terms of rotation (like forward must be CCW, backward CW) instead of what foot you're on (which I already knew I think, I just got confused). Got it! Carry on...:p

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
Rachel - phew. Glad you figured it out. It IS hard to just "read" about skating. I much prefer the videos where I can process what people are doing with their arms, shoulders, hips, free leg, etc. But it's not like there are a million videos out there either. And if there are, then I can't afford them!! :laugh:

You're doing a great job figuring all this stuff out. Carry on!

icedream

Rinkside
i started my singles 3 months ago and i'm on my loop/flip right now. I even land those 2 most of the time. I think singles are pretty easy up until the lutz/axel (not that i would know)