How often to skate | Golden Skate

How often to skate

skatechick

Spectator
I was wondering if anyone had any advice about how many times to skate if you're learning single jumps and how many lessons would be suitable. I've heard a range of things, and I'd like to hear your opinion. Thank you.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Well, as for how much to skate, I say as much as you want to or can. Remember, though, the more you skate (especially when you are starting out) the more sore and tired you will be. When I came back, I did two 1/2 hour sessions a week. Then after about a month I did three 1/2 hour sessions. Then five 1/2 hour sessions. Now (after 1 1/2 years) I do six 1 hour sessions. I'll be doing my first 1 1/2 hour session this fall.

For lessons, it depends on your ability to absorb and remember things. To start, 1/2 hour a week is probably enough, because you will have plenty to work on the rest of the week. I do an hour a week, but that's because I'm doing both MIF's and freestyle. (I'd do more lessons if I could afford it.)

Lanie

On the Ice
I do one 1/2-1hr session with my coach a week and on a public skating day I skate anywhere from 2-4 hours. This fall I think we're increasing the lessons to two 1hr lessons a week.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
skatechick:

You know the old saying "practice makes perfect." It's just like playing an instrument like the piano. One has to practice, practice, practice. As for the lessons, it depends on your pocket book. I think the practicing would be more important than how many lessons per week you are getting. Are you learning ice dance as well? What are you goals? These are all good questions to consider. Remember - the more ice time you get, the better!

Norlite

On the Ice
skatechick said:
I was wondering if anyone had any advice about how many times to skate if you're learning single jumps and how many lessons would be suitable. I've heard a range of things, and I'd like to hear your opinion. Thank you.

You probably heard a range of things because it is different for every skater, depending on your goals.

Are you planning on competing? testing? only skating for fun and/or excercise? Are you an adult skater? Do you plan on advancing to more difficult jumps? What do you ultimately plan on accomplishing?

skatechick

Spectator
Now, I will post my goals.
Yes, I am very interesting in learning more difficult jumps and spins, and I do want to test and compete. Before, I was working with a coach, and only got to practice an hour before the lesson (but I think that was because the lesson was too long). Right now, I was thinking two 1 1/2 practice plus one half hour lesson per week. I'd love to do more, but I'm not sure if I could make it to the rink. Does that sound ok? Any suggestions?

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
Based on your last post, my suggestion would be that you should "plan" out your practices ahead of time.

I use a small notebook in which I have listed my overall skating goals (e.g. compete in adult nationals in April 04), my interim benchmarks (e.g. pass Silver MIF on 8/22), and then I have two sheets for each practice day. I pre-printed them so the first sheet has space for the date, time of practice & length, Primary Goals, Secondary Goals, whether or not I did endurance, flexibility stretches, etc. On this page I write BEFORE I go to practice what I want to work on, very specifically. So instead of just writing "loop," I might right "Check arms on 3 turns into loop; no wobbling arms" or "Smooth out first footwork sequence; no scratching on turns." Since I'm working on an FS program, I also will list how many times I want to run through it WITH music. I will have 3-4 primary things to work on (MUST do these) and then 3-4 secondary things (if there is time). BTW, I practice for 1-1/2 to 2 hours at a time. If your practice is shorter, you'll want less items.

The second page is pre-printed to have all the elements for the Silver & Gold FS tests, because these are the two I'm working on. So if I have done any of these elements in practice, I will write next to them a critique of how I did.

As soon as possible after I'm done with practice, I will write on these two pages how everything went, and my comments for improvement. Then I will also fill out the first page for the next session, based on what I wanted to improve (in other words, setting the goals for the next practice now, so I don't forget them five minutes from now).

I find this to be very helpful, even though at first I had to get disciplined enough to do it.

Also in this book I keep quotes of nice compliments of things people have said about my skating (I use them like affirmations or just to motivate me), I have lists of cool moves or footwork or other elements I'd like to try someday, I might have quotes about eating right or reminders of how to do this or that, and then I have my programs written out in case I want to go back with them.

I'm sure everyone does this differently, but maybe this will help you get the most out of your limited time on the ice.

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
I don't truly think there is a right and a wrong amount. Your body and mind should dictate to you what is adequate. Your coach also should be able to assist in this respect.

My daughter is entering her second year of test stream skating, and her coach has recommended the following shedule:

1.5 hours of dance (2 - 15 min. lessons, and one hour of individual practice)
1 hour of skills ( 1- 15 min. lesson and 45 minutes of individual practice)
2.5 hours of freeskate (3-15 min lessons and 1.75 hours of individual practice)
30 min of instructional stroking
30 min technique class
1 hour of off ice training fitness/ballet

Last season she skated 6 hours a week with only 4 lessons. She did not work on skills at all, and basically just adjusted to being up with the older skaters. In that first year she managed to pass her prelim dances, and is landing her sal, toe loop, loop, flip, and cheating her lutz. She also has a great sit spin, and is currently working on her lay back and her camel spins. With this type of program, her coach expects she will be consistently landing all her single jumps by christmas and should be ready to take her prelim freeskate test in january. She also should be able to finish her junior bronze dances by the end of this season, and possibly also complete her prelim skills.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

ouridol

On the Ice
I totally agree--it really doesn't matter how many lessons/sessions you get with your coach as long as you really practice. Of course it would be nice to have at least 45 min. a week, but the main key is practice. After you feel like you've improved all you can at that rate, you can probably go into really serious training. But always gain from what you have first.

skatepixie

On the Ice
Ive been skating 6 months and Im working on singles.
My summer skating set up was this:

Tuesday-Thursday:
2-2.30~Group Lesson
2.30 to 5~Public skate. I would some times leave at 4 or 4.30. usually this was for reasons out of my control. (My mom skates too and I had boot problems ALL summer long)

I would also have a private lesson once a week. They would be 15-30 min depending on wht my coach could fit in.

Im not sure what everything will be like this school year. Regular group is going to start again in 2 weeks. That session is:

Thursday:
4-5.30~Public Skate
5.30-6~Group lesson

I will most likely do that as well as 1 or 2 other public sessions a week. There are only two other pub sessions that arent during school or on weekends. (I dont skate on weekends due to crowding and other plans)