B.C. Now Has Most Expensive Gas in North America! | Golden Skate

B.C. Now Has Most Expensive Gas in North America!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well "hold on to your wallets" and prepare to pay the dreaded "Carbon Tax" when filling up at the pump in BC. Anyone heading here for the Olympics in 2010 better either leave their car at home or bring lots of cash as our gas prices are likely to be the most expensive anywhere in the North American continent by 2010 Heck, it is the most expensive now. The carbon tax was just introduced a couple of days ago and will drive our already expensive gas prices even higher - not to mention everything else. We now pay about $1.60 per gallon - the tax is a 2.4 cent increase and by 2012 there will be a 7.2 cent increase. Gee, maybe by then we will all be driving "Flintstone mobiles."

Will anyone even be able to afford to attend the 2010 Olympics in BC? "Suppose they gave the games and nobody came."

Here is more information:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=ecea1487-507c-43ef-ab88-5a972898e0b7&k=38130

sillylionlove

Medalist
Geez...I wish I only paid 1.60 a gallon for gas. I just paid 2.89 for gas the other day. Last night the same station was 2.95 and there is no sign of it getting any better. And I live in NJ which has the third lowest gas prices in the nation...until Corzine decides to raise the gas tax to pay for the state debt.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I'm not sure what the difference is now between USA and Canada dollars & cents. Ours was $3.09 the other day and went back down to $3.05. I bought gas a couple of weeks ago and I think it was $2.89 but I had a 10 cent discount (per gallon). Our Kroger store gives a discount for every $100 you buy in groceries in one month. Of course, you have to get your gas from them or the Quik Shop which must be owned by Kroger. If you don't have that much in groceries, you do get 2 cents off. I really hate that they keep track of your buying but if you don't want their card, you pay full price and can't take advantage of their sales. I actually think this outfit is a big ripoff but there isn't much choice. Otherwise, would have to travel more miles to a store. I do get quite a bit of my groceries at Walmart.

redhotcoach

On the Ice
$1.60 per GALLON? Don't you mean a litre???

:) I think ladskater must have mis-typed........gas in Canada is sold by the litre not by the gallon. That would make a US gallon of gas about $6.40.
Prices in other provinces range from $1.07 - $1.20 or so a litre. (that's about $4.28-4.80 a US gallon)

Last time I gassed up in the US - the guy at the next pump was complaining about the high cost of gas -- while I was enjoying saving about $20 a tank!

How about those forum posters in Europe? Last time I filled up in the U.K. - a litre there was the same price as a gallon in the US - or at least twice the price of a litre in Canada.

Last edited:

laceup

On the Ice
I just filled at 111.9 per litre yesterday ... over $50 for my tiny car ... it's a sin!!!

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
It's about $1.14 in Ottawa. My car is a standard, 4-wheel SAAB. Commuting - 20 minutes each way - has been expensive. Rumour says it Ontario will follow BC in adding Greenhouse tax on fuel. The joy of life. ahhhgg!!