Point Your Toes, Please | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Point Your Toes, Please

SkateCynic

Rinkside
As a kid/teen, I danced ballet for 6 years and was a majorette for 5. If I had a nickel for everytime my instructor or coach mentioned pointed toes, I'd be a rich lady now. I guess that has a lot to do with why this is a pet peeve of mine.

I think it's not just about the point of the toe (which does add a finished, polished look to the position), it's also about leg turnout. For example, look at Angela's, Sarah's, and Sasha's layback spins. Not only is the foot of the free leg pointed, the knee is turned out which, when combined with the arch in the back, creates a stunning position during the spin.

Examples of poor toe pointing/leg turnout include Viktoria Volchkova, Yoshie Onda, and Fumie Suguri, Elena Sokolova. I can't begin to count the number of times this past season I wanted to reach into the TV and reposition these gal's legs.

Skatcynic - Think about the turned out knee, too. When I was a kid, people would say, how can you point your toe with your knee turned in like that. Only good ballet lessons could fix that up. I emphasize GOOD.

Joe

SkateCynic

Rinkside
Joe, that was my point :) . The knee turnout is just as important as the pointed toe - whether you're talking about a layback spin, a camel spin, or a spiral. When that knee is aimed at the floor instead of the side, the whole position is ruined. Then again, I guess you could make the same arguments about hand and arm positions, too.

Welcome to GoldenSkate, CynicElle!! Another Cynic in the group ;)

-Cyn

skatecynic - Absolutely! Maybe the "club foot" effect is due to the turned=in knee which also kills the turned out toe. Oh these skaters are just waling through their ballet classes and not learning anything!

joe

S

SkateFan4Life

Sasha Cohen has beautifully extended feet, and her toes are pointed beautifully. Contrast that with Irina Slutskaya - no comparison!