Have we seen the last of Sarah, the skater? | Golden Skate

Have we seen the last of Sarah, the skater?

R

RealtorGal

Have we seen the last of Sarah, the skater?

<span style="color:red;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:xx-large;">?</span>

D

diamondqueen

Re: Have we seen the last of Sarah, the skater?

No, Sarah will be back and in great shape ready to compete. It just would not seem right for US skating not to have Sarah Hughes as part of the competition. She brings a lot to table. Sarah is an important part of what makes the American Ladies the best skaters in the World.

diamond:D

K

Kara Bear

YUP

I wish I could make it big and red. :)

P

Ptichka

I don't think anyone can make predictions about it. I don't even think Sarah can predict this herself. It will depend on how she will feel in college, what her non-skating career will mean to her, etc.

M

mathman444

Kara, can't you make it <span style="font-size:large;"><strong>BIG</strong></span> and EzCode Parsing Error: color=red size=4]EzCode Parsing Error: size=4[/font]

Unless you are running a really old version of Internet Explorer or Netscape, when you type a post you should see "typeface," "color" and "size" right above the dialogue box.
(First check that "ezCodes" are "on," just above that.) Highlight the words that you want big and/or red, select the color and/or size from the drop-down menu, then click on "set font." That should do it.

If you don't see these options, you can do it by hand. For color, type "square bracket" (I can't actually type a square bracket here, because that's a command. LOL.) Anyway, in square brackets put "font color=red" (no quotation marks) or "font color=red size=4" for big and red. Then after the text type "/font" in square brackets, no quotation marks.

Mathman

M

mathman444

OK, let me try that again. I got <span style="font-size:x-large;">BIG</span> right, but I messed up on <span style="color:red;font-size:small;">red</span>.

<span style="color:red;font-size:medium;">BIG AND RED</span>

Mathman

PS. Now if I could just make my picture work.

BTW, if you mess up on ezCodes like I did in my first post, it is tricky to edit them for a correction. Often you lose your whole post and just get a message that says "HTML comments not allowed." If you want to edit your fonts, save the post first just in case.

MM.

T

tharrtell

I'm inclined to say yes, but I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to see Sarah develop further as a skater. The reason I don't think she'll be back is that my take on her this year was that she lost her motivation. She's already won the biggest prize out there - so what's to keep her going? I'm sure she' like a National and World title, but it is worth the work that it will take to get there? She was hungry after 2002 Nats - and after the Oly short - because she felt she was a better skater that her respective placements indicated. As such, she came back with vengeance. She was willing to put in the extraordinary amount of time and focus after Nats to re-work her programs and emphasize her strengths. She put in years of work and has now seen the rewards. What's to motivate her to go back and slave away in practices? Nothing will ever be as amazing as that Oly experience - and she knows that. What's to keep her going?

I was actually surprised by Sarah at Worlds this year. I thought she gave a respectable show at Nationals, but she was flawed and knew it. I expected her to work between Nats and Worlds and come back stronger. In reality, she was in worse shape, IMO. She gained weight (I think, anyway) and her skating wasn't where it should have been. That indicated a clear loss of motivation to me - she wasn't really interested in working hard for the period between Nats and Worlds. How's she going to motivate for a full competitive season.

This is all speculation - based on my observations. I could be way off. There could have been underlying circumstances that won't be an issue in the future. She could find the fire again. I really don't know, but that's my gut feeling.

L

lil icesk8er915

From all of her interviews, it seems sadly like a 'yes'. But I hope we haven't seen the last of her!

M

maxell1313

I think Sarah still has more to give as a skater. I'd say the biggest part of it depends on how her first year at Yale goes. If she enjoys the anonymity and her studies and doing the occasional skating show, then that's what she should do. Whatever makes her happiest is what the main focus should be. But it certainly wouldn't surprise me if she came back next year to throw her hat in the ring for Torino, or to try for the National or World titles. It took guts to compete at Worlds this past year and I totally respect her for that. I especially liked her SP.

D

dewet

I say yes, but hope I'm wrong. This season she was out of shape and she already won the Olympics.

N

nymkfan51

My guess is she will not skate as an eligible anymore. College seems to be a very high priority for her, and besides ... for her to get back to even remotely close to what she was before, will take an enormous committment for training ... and I just didn't see that in her this past year. I am sure she will do shows and specials thoug. I doubt she's done skating totally.

T

thvudragon

Well, in the past, the only time Sarah has ever won was when the competition folded. I don't think we've seen the last of her, but as in terms of a serious contender, no. JMO

TV

S

sk8ing lady2001

I wish Sarah the best in skating and/or life. But you never know, she could be back also. :)

E

eltamina

Oh no, I hope she stays a while.

I watched her COI 02 program

I will never say good bye, so I hope she will keep on skating.

N

nysk8r

I think for now she will at least do a couple of exibition shows like the ones shown on NBC. I'm selfishly hoping that after a semester or so at Yale, she'll re-think her skating career and will want to compete again. Maybe she can lighten her workload or take every other semester off. Like I said, I'm thinking selfishly here. :p

E

Excidra2001

A lot of people were certain that Slutskaya(1998-99) and Elena Sokolova(1998-2003) were done and their skating career would never be the same again. Those two ladies proved many people wrong and I expect Sarah to do the same as well.

L

ladybug

Yale is not going to be a piece of cake. I doubt she will have the time for the commitment necessary to be a true contender and go to school too. I don't expect us to see much of Sarah except in a fews televised shows. Someone mentioned she lost her motivation and I believe that to be very true. Irina got her motivation back but she lives for skating. Sarah now has her "education" to motivate her.

Sorry to say, I think we have seen the last of Sarah the competative skater. :(

J

Jaana

>I don't expect us to see much of Sarah except in a fews televised shows. Someone mentioned she lost her motivation and I believe that to be very true. Irina got her motivation back but she lives for skating. Sarah now has her "education" to motivate her.>

I really think it is rather different to get one´s motivation back if one wishes to win a gold medal at Worlds or at Olympics than for such a person to find motivation who already has won the Olympic gold medal. Especially difficult it would be for skaters who already have won a gold medal or other medals in competitions like their own Nationals, Europeans, etc. before the Olympic win.

Marjaana

J

Joesitz

I'd like her to hang around. I've watched her since Juniors and found her the typical kid doing all the jumps. I've always thought of her as a work in progress. I still do. Despite the win at Olys (and most deservedly), I still do not see her as a finished skater. As many posters have pointed out, her biggest fault was her posture. At this point in time, I should think that fault would be corrected.

However, as many have said, Yale is not going to be easy. I think a year at Yale will allow her to decide between academia and sport. It's her decision. Maybe she can find a way to keep her foot in the door. I'd like that.

Jje

L

LAVENDER

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Well, in the past, the only time Sarah has ever won was when the competition folded. I don't think we've seen the last of her, but as in terms of a serious contender, no. JMO[/quote]

ITA. I think she may come back or try. She may do well or she may win but it will have to be the same way she did at the Olympics. I think that’s one of the hardest things for her. She did say that she was bothered by the fact that she can’t always skate like she did at the Olympics or that the situation won’t always be the same as it was at the Olympics where everyone faltered.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I've always thought of her as a work in progress. I still do. Despite the win at Olys (and most deservedly), I still do not see her as a finished skater.[/quote]

Totally agree. I thought she skated well at Worlds minus the qual round. She didn't look as awkward. She didn't have the jumps either but I actually enjoyed some of her skating.