Dreamy/Screamy Lessons & Practices August 10-16 | Golden Skate

Dreamy/Screamy Lessons & Practices August 10-16

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
Whazzzzzzzzzzzzup with your skating?

Tell us about your incredible (dreamy) lessons and practices and those that made you want to pull your hair out and scream!

Even if you're not skating much this week, come back and support those who are.

See you on the ice!

luenatic

On the Ice
I didn't do too much this weekend. Mainly focusing on getting my back outside 3s. I used the 2 patterns from the MITF class to practice my back BO3s:
1. Inside mohawk, step into BO and do the 3s (alternate directions going down the rink)
2. FI3 and continue to BO3. Regroup and restart the pattern again down the rink. Then repeat this pattern on the other leg.

After a while, My RBO 3s are quite good. I actually had decent flow coming out and a good glide on the RFI. My LBO3s are also improving. I figured out what I did wrong in the past: Not enough knee bend. DUH. Once I fixed that problem, I could do an OK LBO 3. I still need to practice more to get use to it. Over all, I'm very pleased with my BO3s.

Also tried the RBO pivot. I finally could do 2 rev on the RBO pivot, but I completely forgot how to exit! :eek: Even now, I still don't remember it.

Still working on improving my 1 foot spin. It comes and goes. Oh well. But I did try a different entrance into my spin. I'm trying the one Michelle Kwan is using. Landing on a jump on my RBO. Crossed my left foot behind and pushed with the LBO. It changed my right edge to RBI. Then I stepped into the spin. It does look nicer than just a regular back crossover. I'll ask my coach about it.

Lots to learn but it's fun.

Happy skating everyone.

starshinexavier

On the Ice
I'm not the one who skated this, but I still want to share.

I went to my bud's competition yesterday (Sunday) for her long program in Novice ladies. She had a good skate. She fell once, on a rotated 2 axel (it's new for her) and stepped out of a 2 flip. In one part she was early for the music change, and it looked like she forgot what she was supposed to do, then BAM out of nowhere, it was footwork madness. She placed 5th out of 15 skaters. Not bad for her first "real" competition at the Novice level.

While at the competition, I saw a bunch of Wirtzes........ Kris, Kristy, baby Breanne, Sean, as well as Sean's partner, Liz Putnam. I'm getting used to seeing "famous" skaters at these events now. The glamour of it has totally worn off. :laugh:

Going up to Mariposa club on Wednesday to see my friend skate there. Will also get to see all the elite skaters that skate there too. Jeff, Jen, Takeshi, Lenny & partner, and many others. Can't wait!

Cindy, yes, I'm still alive, just BUSY, BUSY, BUSY!!!

Keep up the great skating y'all, and HAPPY SKATING!!!!:D

Lanie

On the Ice
Dreamy - Worked on spins some more and they're coming out nicely.

Screamy - I was doing a forward scratch and it went out of control. I felt falling. I fell on my left hip and left wrist, and hoo boy does it hurt! I'm pretty much bruised up the left side and my legs are killing me. My dad thought I broke something.

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
Dreamy: There were a few good things today... Firstly, I bought Joy's skates for $125. After skating in them for almost 10 hours and feeling great I decided it would be a good investment, and I'll give it a few months and I'm not opposed to buying newer/more appropriate skates and selling these ones if the opportunity presents itself. Anyway, I'm glad I finally made the decision!

Next... today Tricia and I had a lesson. WOOHOO! It was a great one. We worked on crossovers first for a few minutes and I was so happy because mine have improved greatly now that I've been working on two pushes and smoothness and everything. Moved on to turns, briefly. Reviewed two-foot spin and entering from crossovers (I can do the entrance but I can't put it together with a spin yet... I kind of don't step back into the circle I made w/ the back inside edge entrance). Spinning is still bleh for me but it is ever-so-slowly improving. Then Joy looked at our waltz jumps and admonished me for not rocking up on my blade enough before I take off... she said I was taking off from the middle of my blade, kinda. If I focused on bending my knee more deeply it worked much better, so I think that's the key for me. THEN... this is important so it deserves a new paragraph.

We learned the half flip and the toe loop! Now, when I say "learned," I mean learned how to walk through them and kind of hop rather than actually jump, but we were both so excited. Part of me knows that I need to work on basic edges and turns a lot more before these will be true jumps but still, we were dying to learn to do real jumps and I think Joy knew it. Once I got the rhythm of the half flip I was feeling pretty good but I'm still kind of walking through it more than really jumping. Toe loop is also not a real jump and half the time I can't get a good enough 3 turn entering it and I still feel like my body doesn't really know what it's supposed to be doing, but I know that it will grow into something impressive. So, that was our lesson today and then we practiced but we spent too much time talking to Joy about Theater on Ice (I'm intrigued... does anyone know anything about it?) and ISI vs USFSA competitions and other stuff that we didn't have that much practice time afterward but it was a good day at the rink for me :)

Screamy: Just the fact that I am quite scared to vault my body into the air but I guess it's somewhat temporary. And I have to work a bunch of extra hours in the next few weeks before I leave for school (I work at a public library) and that cuts into my skating time! Bah!

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Glacierskater is checking in! I did not abandon you all last week...I was gearing up for my test session yesterday (Sunday). Okay, I had very teary practice on Friday and Saturday. Just nerves and frustrations. I was really worried about not passing...epsecially after realizing how much it costs to test.

We got lost on the way to Tulsa...and the whole rink knew it when we got there. They were all patiently, and graciously waiting. Then I got grief about getting lost because I have been there before. Just a bad start. But, I PASSED!!! I got jelly loegs the minute I got on the ice, and did not skate my best. I missed my salchow the first time, and was passable on everything else. I made the mistake of just doing the salchow again without being asked and got nicely admonished for it. My judge was very nice. They all were. I got a very nice on my spiral. The next test is going to be harder. I will be testing for Bronze in the spring. We have a competition in October, and then Christmas show practice for the rest of the year.

LUENATIC:
Excellent work on the back 3's. They take some getting used to, but are really nice in footwork...especially when you get past the point of them throwing you to the ice unceremoniously. I am working on a dance step that has back 3's in it, and I find that the knee bend and the checking of the arms is the key.

LANIE:
Excellent work on the spins...maybe invest in some wrist pads. I think that I have messed my wrist up by falling on it too many times. When you start to do more jumps they will come in handy then. Spins are fun.

RACHEL:
Good news about the saktes. Sounds like you gave them the run through that they needed. I think that half flips are fun, and had the toe loop in my test this past Sunday. Keep on working on them and you might want to invest in booty pads for future full rotation jumps. I have heard of Theater on Ice...what is it?

I will try to explain the difference between ISI and USFSA.
Basically USFSA is the more official and stricter skating institution. They are the ones that the big girls (Olympians test with).

ISI is for recreational skating and they are not as strict as the USFSA. I will give you more info on this...I need to log right now because I am at work. I will send you a message.

Glacier

singerskates

On the Ice
At Public (unwatched= no skate patrol) Skating Today:

After coaching my friend's son on some basic skating skills because he desperately needs them for power skating for the first hour today, my other friend came to watch me skate. This is what she saw me do.

Dreamy:
Tried doing another LBI spiral into a salchow and was only successful on the first attempt in my program. I must have been nervous the second time today because there were some public skaters just behind me where I was going to land the salchow.

She diffinately can confirm that my forward spins are twice as fast as last year and have 6 revs.

My friend also said that I'm now jumping 4 inches to 5 inches off of the ice in my jumps as oppose to March/April where I only got a centimeter off of the ice. Also had this light flowy waltz jump that just floated down from 6 inches one time and the landing was so soft, I didn't even feel it and the exit was awesome. (Got to keep this a secret from my coach because then she'll have me try axels as soon as I get back on club ice.)

Screamy:
Now if I can just stop over rotating on my salchows and toe loops and check harder that would be great. It seems my hips just want to keep on going around. Just wish this would work for my loop, flip and lutz.

But at the moment, my spins are on vacation and love to travel just like I do in the summer. LOL Now really my friend said that I'd do 3 revs on the spot and then my right shoulder would come up and I'd do the other 3 revs travelling. I think that's because last year I was only doing 3 revs until just before COS Adult Spring Skate and my head says to me, "It's 3 revs. It's time to get out." I have to train my brain to want to keep in possision(sp) until the end of the 6 revs.
Only got one rev on a back spin that turned out to be a 1 rev backspin combo 3 rev forward spin. LOL. Oh well, I'm on vacation. LOL

Brigitte

Yazmeen

On the Ice
kudos to everyone on good skating this week, and CONGRATS GLACIER!!!! Good for you!!!!

Dreamy: More progress with one foot spin today. Started to get the hang of bringing the foot in and speeding up. I think I hit 5 revs with one.

Screamy, but fun: Started BACKSPIN!! :eek Rachelstarlet: Since you brought this up in another therad, its definitely different. You have to get backward via "folding" (coach's term) around like a FI3, but keeping your freefoot in front. You definitely realize you are spinning backward instead of forward even though its the same "direction" (CCW for me) as the forward spin. Very weird and somewhat scary. I seem to have the fold part and I got around a little--not bad for the first tries.

I'm too exhausted to post more. Hugs to all and skate with joy!!!!

Yaz

Glacierskater

On the Ice
It's me again! I skated today for 2.5 hours before the long haul of a 12 hour night shift 0700 to 0700. We had Christmas show tryouts today. I do not skate well under pressure. I really don't skate well under interpretive pressure. Everyone wants a solo, yada, yada, yada...I elected no solo. I am not so great a skater that I think that I need to grace the world with my mediocre quality under pressure skating. If no one is watching, I can do really well. I also nailed a fellow female adult skater today right in the arm. At least I think that it was the arm. We had to make up foot work and I was practicing it and BAM, I nailed something. It was her. I said sorry and kept going...so stressed about doing this footwork in front of everyone, I did not go over to her afterward. Then I had to sprint to change for work. Now I am at work lamenting over the fact that I was less than gracious. I must seek her out tomorrow and apologize profusely. Maybe it was a lesson learned. I skated around this individual several times last week when I was practicing for my MIF and had to start over repeatedly. I don't think that she realized that you have to complete the sequence to fully benefit from the practice of the move...for example: it does me no good to do just 2 alternating 3 turns for my test. It requires 4 to 6. If I have to stop after doing 2 because someone skates in front of me and does not bother to look where they are going, it does not help me get the flow right. And it did not happen once, it was for about 2 hours in a row. I just think that it is lack of experience about what it takes to test . At any rate, I will apologize. Okay, I am off my soap box.

I did many, many, clean loops and flips today. Then I got tired and fell many, many, many times. I am noticing a pattern here. I need to get some wrist protectors. They are sore from falling today. I will keep on working on the jumps to get them consistently every time. I figured out that I have been jumping from the back of my blade. Today I transferred my weight to the front a bit and it helped. I will be back on the ice tomorrow to practice more.

SINGER:
I have also been over rotating my salchows. I tease my coach that I am just prepping for my doubles. In truth, I am not checking my arms going into the jump, and it is impacting my check out as well. I have been fighting my spins too. I like the entrance of the spiral into the jumps. That is a neat idea. Must try.

Okay, I am signing out of this post...I am a heel for impacting a fellow skater and feeling so bad about it. I hope that she is there tomorrow. Anyone seen CINDER?

Cinderella on Ice

On the Ice
Sorry that I haven't had much of a chance to post and to cheer for everybody's good work so far this week.

Starshine - Thanks for the email update, I was worried about you, and then here I see yu've posted and I must have missed it! Bet your bud was glad for the support, especially in light of her great placement for her first Novice competition! I loved your description of her "footwork madness." I'm writing that in my skating journal as a goal. Some day, somewhere, someone will be applauding my footwork madness!! :laugh: Hope all is going well with getting ready for school. Are you missing the ice at all?

Lanie - Ow ow ow. Glad nothing was cracked. Could we rename that the Death Scratch Spin?

Rachel (a/k/a Jumping Girl) - Phew, glad you made the decision and so far, so good. Seems like you'll quickly get your $125's worth out of those babies. Speaking of ... give a girl some "new" skates and suddenly she's leaving the ice. How fun that you're working on your half jumps. Keep remembering to bend those knees--on takeoff AND landing!

Glacier - I was gonna put out the APB on you like I did on Starshine! Glad you're back--you were missed. And YIPPEE for you for passing your test, you PREBRONZE Baby, you! Will you be testing both MIF and FS in the spring? Don't stress out over the girl you hit--you did say sorry, I'm sure she was fine. Also, about the wrists (remember I am currently wearing a cast on the left one): I was taught that you don't put your hands out to stop a fall. In fact, the reason my fracture is so "good" is that my hand came down AFTER my butt and body. I'm just worried that maybe you are trying to stop your falls? You might want to ask your coach about this, because maybe things have changed in the 345 years since I last skated.

Singer - Isn't it satisfying when someone from the "outside" can confirm your progress? Woo hoo on the higher jumps. And don't worry, those spins are almost done with their vacation jaunt and will be back with you soon.

Yazmeen - Maybe you could loan Singer your new high-rev spins! And good luck on the backspin. I can do flying camels, but my backspin sometimes still comes and goes.

OK, my hubby wants to get some dinner, so I'll have to post later about my practices yesterday and today.

Cinderella on Ice

On the Ice
Screamy - Hmm, yesterday's practice sure had its ups and downs (mostly mentally, not physically). I've been under a lot of work stress lately and have had several late nights. So I was worried that I'd be too tired to get in a good practice. Then something made me late, and I only had 50 minutes, and that made me cranky (have I said before that I am SO not a morning person???). After warm-up, I decided to start with the spin elements. But after a shaky camel and a shakier camel/sit, I switched to the jumps to try to get my legs more flexible. I had a little more success there (good flip, good loop, good lutz, ok flip/loop), so I went back to the spins. My centering just seemed off (and, I think, my concentration).

I did a program run-through and felt like it just stunk. I flubbed a couple of the mandatory elements (for no good reason), my timing was off, and I was NOT HAPPY! So I pulled it to pieces, worked on each individual piece, did one more run-through (slightly better, but nothing to be proud of). I then foolishly allowed myself to get into mind games about how just-not-ready-for-testing I am. Whooeee, I was even making myself sick just to "listen" to me.

So I went back to the individual elements and did everything once, forcing myself to complete it, whether it started out good or not. That gave me some confidence that even with a shaky start, I can pull off something decent. Then I did 10 minutes of endurance power skating and left the ice.

BUT ...

Today's practice was so much DREAMIER. First, I had gotten a little more sleep. Second, I forced myself not to dawdle and I got to the rink on time. Yay, 80 minutes to practice! Then I warmed up only half the elements once before doing the program to music. Voila, much much better. I think it would have passed. That gave me the confidence to work extra hard on the camels (oh gee, if only I had been using my abs yesterday, they would have held fine). I made sure my shoulders were back on the regular sit spin and the sit part of the camel/sit (gee, more revolutions, no scratching). And I consciously checked my arms on the double 3 entry into the loop, the two footwork sequences, and the jump landings (gosh, no wobbling).

Ay yi yi, apparently the skating (good or bad) is all in my HEAD! My body knows what to do, as long as my Big Fat Brain doesn't interfere. Tomorrow is a rest day, but Friday afternoon I have almost 2 hours of ice time, and I'm going to lay out a plan to rebuild my confidence in my elements, my program, and myself.

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
Screamy: Toe loop still daunting; two-foot spin still kinda bleh. I ripped all this skin off my finger with my skate lace (was pulling it really hard) and had to go get a band aid and felt pretty silly - some people get hurt jumping, I get hurt tying my skates! Oh well. I was really tired today and for the last 45 minutes or so I felt like my feet weighed 20 pounds each... I've made it through 3 hour long sessions before w/o getting so burned out but I've been working a lot and not sleeping enough or eating well enough so that's probably why.

Dreamy: Caught on to spread eagles and Ina Bauers today a bit more than I had before. I'd messed around with inside spread eagles but couldn't manage a good turn out (even tho I have a decent turn out off ice)... it clicked more today and although I still can't get them in a straight line I started extending my arms in pretty poses and felt really nice and stretched out by the end of the session. Let's see... attempted a few back 3s even though I haven't really been "taught" them yet, and managed a couple scratchy ones w/o falling all over. Speaking of falling I think I'm getting better at it. I fell a few times today (once while stopping... d'oh) and didn't get hurt, that means I gain more courage to try scarier things. Glacierskater, I do need to invest in some extra padding (I say extra because I already have some "natural padding" back there haha) and I'd be more brave about jumping. Great job on your test by the way!! I can't wait to start testing and competing. Guess I have to be patient... :) Spent a lot of time socializing today. I only have two weeks left before I cross over the mountains to go to college and I'm really going to miss everyone at the rink! Thanks for all the kind words everyone - the encouragement really helps and I really need to stop being lazy and give some encouragement back! Haha. Well I will when I let you all know how practicing on Friday goes. (I mentioned that so I will be accountable for it... it's hard to get to the rink three days a week! :))

Cinderella on Ice

On the Ice
Rachel - I don't know if this counts as encouragement, sympathy, or maybe just stupidity, but last Friday at skating I was so bummed that my cast was preventing me from tying my skates correctly, I kind of just yanked at them and ripped my right hand pinkie finger to shreds, on the outside of the finger, right where that top joint bends. :rolleye: The lace sliced right into it, and it's now a nasty (amazingly painful) mess! So you are not alone. I notice that both fingers have been developing callouses at that joint from the lacing. Most people get them on their feet. You and I need to wear bunga pads on our hands! :laugh:

starshinexavier

On the Ice
Today, I was up at the Mariposa Club in Barrie, watching my bud practice for her next competition. We watched her 2 sessions, then stayed for the elite session. I got to see Jeff Buttle again! :love: There were a lot more guys on the ice this time, compared to the last time I went. Me and my friends had a nice time gazing at them, since most were quite nice looking! ;) We then went to Wasaga Beach and went mini-golfing, and go carting. Then, later at the restaurant, one of the girls from the elite session we watched was waitressing there. We got a pic with her there, and people were looking at us like we were nuts. The only bad part was when we got stuck in traffic after a van got smooshed by a transport truck on the high way. Tomorrow, I get to head back up to Barrie, to see some more practicing and pick up my bud, then we're off to her next competition. I'm very excited for it!

A little off topic, I've found a new coach for when I move off to University. I've only spoke briefly with her on the phone, but she's young, and really nice. I'm looking forwards to being able to work with her for this upcoming season!

Cindy: I don't miss the ice at all right now. See above for my reasons..... You will be ready for your test, just have faith. You nailed your bronze, and will do the same for silver. Keep working hard, like I know you do! When's your test again?

Glacier: CONGRATS for passing your test! All your hard work is certainly being rewarded! I'm soo proud of you!

Rachel: those toe loops will come. They just sometimes take a while to come back to town after summer vacation. I hope your finger is better real soon. We've all done that before, so don't be embarrassed at all. Good work with the bauers and eagles. They're tricky, but when you get them, it's very rewarding!

Singer: Awesome news about your spiral and super huge jumps. Doesn't it just feel like you're flying now?

Yaz: Great news about the 1 foot spin. It will help with the backspin. Keep patient when working on your backspin. They take a while to master, but I know that you'll be able to do it!

That's it for me. I'll keep you posted on how my bud does in her 2nd Novice competition. Until then, Happy Skating! :)

icer

Rinkside
Hi Everyone!

Screamy: Too busy to skate! Work, guests, life! Finally got to the rink last night. Can't make progress if you don't put in the time.

Dreamy: BUT it's late summer and at the public session after my lesson, NO ONE was there (well, there were a few people, but it was almost empty). So I was able to practice simple moves BIG and really feel like I was skating- nice deep edges, was really able to work on sitting over my skate as I was going fast, was able to work on things like Mowhawks at speed. So I was feeling pretty powerful- AND it translates into the things I'm tentative about- good stong waltz jumps when I'm not afraid of running into people! And there was room to do one waltz jump after another after another (Yazmeen's suggestion- usually the ice is too crowded to really do it, though). The FI 3's are still tentative, but I'm working on them and if I keep them really small, I can do them in combination - FI3, step forward, cross-over, then the other side.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Screamy: Me--the way I feel today. When I woke up this morning, the left side of my head felt like it was filled with cement--awful sinuses, headache. By the time I got my skates on at the rink I just felt like I didn't want to go out there, and I NEVER "don't want to skate!!!!"

Got out on the ice and warmed up a bit. Coach wanted to work on spinning again. I tried a few two foot spins, and the results were pathetically hilarious. They just wouldn't work--I stumbled, couldn't get my feet in, nearly tilted backwards a couple of times. She was astonished, because she said I was going into them just fine. I just felt awful, off balance and odd. Even just skating, period, was tough at first. My head felt like it was on another planet and I didn't feel balanced (Didn't help that I also desperately need a sharpening, too).

We worked on long entrance edge outside threes and on edges, and after a bit I started to feel better. Waltz jumps and sals were a little shaky at first, but they got better, and I did my sal/waltz combo pretty well. We were talking about the entrance to a sal and the one foot spin being similar, so I halfheartedly pushed off in to a one foot spin, and to my relief, spun a couple/three revs. When I came out of it, my head THROBBED for several seconds, so then I knew that the old sinuses were to blame. By the end of the session I could do gentle, slow two foot spins, so at least I'm relieved to know it was a sinus/balance issue, not me losing my precious spins!!!!:eek: I'm getting a badly needed massage this evening, then its a light dinner and off to dreamland for me. Work has been very stressful and I think I'm a bit run down. Luckily, I don't have much planned this weekend and have a long weekend break at home next weekend to rest and recover. I HATE WHAT THIS WEATHER IS DOING TO MY SINUSES!!!! Nearly 100% humidity and rain for over two weeks, and Allegra can only do so much. Its been a lousy summer weather wise.

Cinder: Chin up!!! You're amazing to me, skating with a cast. You're doing great--even when you think you're not!!

Rachel: Toe loops take time. I can do a basic one, but I've asked to go back into the harness to really get the feel of the "leap" and the push off better.

Singer: Whoo hoo on the jumps!!!

Have a good weekend, everybody!!!! :)

Lanie

On the Ice
Dreamy -- The crossover problem has been solved. My posture has improved, I no longer drag like I used to, I'm smooth and secure. Coach and I were jumping up and down and hugging nd high-fiving; it was really funny.

Screamy -- Nothing.

In other news I got my standardized scores back for school and I'm going back to school in a few weeks...yuck!

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
Screamy: Having trouble w/ motivation lately. When Tricia's with me, or when I know I'll see people at the rink that I know or like to talk to, then I'm fine, but today was a morning session w/ no music and everyone seemed grumpy and it was just hard to push myself. Which, I got to thinking, seems kind of bad, because my motivation to skate should come from within, right? Not from outside sources. I dunno. I'll have to think on this some more. Anyway I stayed an hour and 45 minutes. Tried to work on spins but I think I have a mental block on spinning or something. I'll have to ask Joy to work on this with me some more rather than just reviewing it very quickly. Plus I really want to pick my foot up and just make it a one-foot spin.... do I have to master it on two feet before I move to one? I just feel compelled to pick up my right foot. Hm. Oh yeah the Ina Bauers and spread eagles that I worked on Wednesday didn't come back today. My legs were sore from working out on Thurs... stupid elliptical machine, lol.

Dreamy: Worked on half flip and it's got more of a real "jump" feeling... still feel like I'm walking through it more than really attacking it, but it's okay. Worked on inside three turns and was happy with the progress I've made on them in just a week. Also I like not being the worst one at the rink anymore :) There are usually a couple people who are more beginners than I am now.

PS: Yazmeen you reminded me that I have a gift certificate for a massage that I need to do before I leave for school... oh how good that would feel on my sore legs & ankles! I'm with ya, sister :laugh:

Cinderella on Ice

On the Ice
Screamy - I had a very hectic day at work but, thank goodness, I made sure that I was "almost" on time for skating, because the Zamboni Guy hit the ice at 2:46 and usually he doesn't bother us until after 3:00.

Dreamy - But at least I got in 1 hr 20 mins of practice. For the first 20 mins I was the only person on the ice! After that, two other girls showed up, but they stayed waaaaay down at one end for most of the practice, so I was totally in heaven. Hubby came to videotape and I worked really hard and long on the spins that have been causing me centering problems this week. Mostly camel/corkscrew, camel/sit, sit.

I also worked out two rough patches of connecting moves where I discovered that my arms are just bouncing around like separate little Tiggers (sheesh). I did the sequences over and over to try to get "calm" arms. I think this is a key item for me to work on generally. It's why I'm often not fully balanced.

And I added something new that I've never done before called a Twizzle, which looks like a simple little twisty turn while you are skating, but it's oh-so-cool to the music. For example, you're skating backwards, doing crossovers, and you've got one leg just sort of stretched way out to the side to get your power. When you bring it back in, you kind of close up your whole body so it is one long straight line, arms at the sides, and you quickly revolve 180 degrees and then continue your crossovers. Very cool looking. Very deceiving and hard to do, because you must have everything aligned and not "throw" yourself into it. When I did it right, it looked great in the program. A little surprise element that adds interest.

Speaking of the program, I ran through it twice and was surprised that the second time was even better than the first. For the first time, I feel like MAYBE I am starting to get the hang of this Silver program! It really IS a situation of mind over matter.

All in all, I had quite the sweaty practice (when I reviewed the videotape, I kept thinking I needed a director to shout MAKE-UP and have that girl with the giant powder puff come out and pat me dry!

Today I'm heading off to some super sweaty racquetball and then my off-ice jump training and sport cord drills, followed by stretches. I have to start paying more attention to my hip "turning out" stretches because it's time to learn to do spread eagles on the ice.

Rachel - Congrats on becoming a "real" skater. You have now learned that skating and self-motivation require discipline. No matter how much you LOVE to skate, there are times when it is extremely difficult to push yourself to get in a fruitful practice (or to get out of bed and on the ice at all!). Even on my best days, I think I still get better practices in during my lessons than when I am alone. It's all in your head. You have to shut off the "I'm tired, I'm cold, I don't feel like doing this, I'm sore" voices. This is why I like writing in the skate journal, because I use it like it's a mandate of the things I must do. I just go down my list and start doing them, and I find that my attitude perks up and before I know it the Zamboni's on the ice and I'm thinking, shoot, I wish I had more time out here.

Lanie - Congrats on the crossover breakthrough. They are such an integral part of everything you do.

Yaz - Ugh, my head hurt just thinking about doing (of all things) spins while having a huge sinus attack. Glad you made it through o.k. and hope you are feeling much better today.

Icer - I hear you on the beauty of having the ice to yourself! Bet you were waltz jumping with abandon!

Starshine - School and new excitement are just around the corner--good luck! Thanks for stopping by here because you always brighten our days. You're going to be an awesome coach!

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
As for the motivation thing: I was talking to my mom today and she reminded me that, duh, I really am still truly a beginner. I'm learning things fairly quickly (slower than some, but still pretty quickly) and I forget when I see some older adults who are at a similar level as me that they have been on the ice longer and have developed their own sort of routines and rhythms and discipline, whereas I haven't developed that yet. Does that make sense? I think it does. ANYWAY, I just wanted to share that thought. And also two more things that I forgot to add yesterday:

- I don't know if anyone remembers but a couple months ago I was complaining (and sort of wondering) about how there are very few upper level skaters at my rink... which I understand now is because I skate public sessions and there's a rink close by w/ only private ice. But I'd still like to see some really exciting skaters every now and then. Yesterday Ikaika Young (http://www.usfsa.org/team/dance/younyoun.htm) was there giving a lesson, and he, along with his sister, got 8th at Nationals in dance last year (not sure why they didn't compete this year) and won Nationals in the novice division a few years ago. Anyway that was pretty cool - he was really fast, and I don't see people doing ice dance very often anyway, and he wasn't too hard on the eyes either :). It was neat.

- I was visiting my grandma in the hospital last night (knee surgery - nothing serious) and in the elevator I remembered how I read somewhere about practicing your jumps while the elevator is going down. So I took off my purse and tried it - if only I could get that height on the ice! It was so fun. I was worried some doctor would come in though. Anyway you should try it if you can :)