Dreamy/Screamy Lessons & Practices August 10-16 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Dreamy/Screamy Lessons & Practices August 10-16

Lanie

On the Ice
Dreamy - I did some sit spins. They're coming along. The scratch said goodbye. I showed my friend Linda some stuff; like the mohawk into the salchow and mohawk into the waltz my coach is teaching me.

Screamy - I was doing a Charlotte spiral and I got out of it fine. Whew, I thought. I usually fall on those. And I lost my edge and crashed. On my hip. And oh my GOSH goes it HURT. I don't know if I should go to a doctor or not; I'm limping a little bit. I didn't break anything but I'm sure I bruised my hip bone, or at least did something really nasty. :( Should I go to the doctor? I'm afraid I'll get a blood test or something if I do, auugh. I'm such a baby.

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
Lanie - Yowch. Sorry to hear about the nasty fall. Sometimes skating is like a jealous brat. Your mind drifts and you forget to pay it your full attention and BAM SLAM to the ground, it reminds you.

If you're truly thinking a doc is in order, I can tell you that the orthopedic docs do not routinely take your blood. They might, however, take x-rays. So if things aren't well in a day or so or you're really worried that you might have chipped or cracked something, get your butt (and your hip) over to an ortho doc. Don't let a fear of needles delay you in getting help for something that if treated incorrectly could stop you from skating forever!

On the other hand, if it is just a bruise, it will definitely hurt you for awhile, maybe even a week or more. So listen to your body and do what your stomach tells you is the right thing to do.

Rachel - your mom is a smart cookie. "They have been on the ice longer and have developed their own sort of routines and rhythms and discipline." That is exactly what I was talking about. The time to develop these good habits is now, while you are beginning. I went to a party last night where there were several adult skaters from my Friday afternoon practice. They were (nicely) saying how they all want to skate like me (I just happen to be the most advanced of us). But then they were talking about everyone's practice habits, and one of the girls admitted she's just a fluff skater, out to look pretty (her words). They talked about how "intense" (my word) I am when I practice. I'm friendly as can be, before & after practice, but during our $12 for 80 mins time, I am totally focused on my skating. They agreed that I often work harder than two of them combined, and I come out of practice all sweaty and disheveled, while they still "look good" and haven't really exerted themselves. They were saying how they realize that the only way for them to make improvements more quickly is to take their practices up a couple of notches. I was saying that they should do so only if they're motivated to—that's it's no crime to just get out and casually enjoy, but then that's why it has taken some of them three years to break through and learn a jump. It was a very interesting discussion of what we want to get out of our skating and doing the thing that's right for you. So that's something that you'll be deciding as you "mature" on the ice.

In the meantime, you've been very focused and made a TON of progress for such a short time. Make sure you keep reminding yourself of that (again, a journal could be helpful) and surround yourself with people who understand that and support you (like mom).

Hey, I've always been a little curious. How come Tricia never joins us on the board here?

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
Cinderella - My friends and I laugh at Tricia for being internet-challenged; we'll email her and then ask her if she got it, and she'll tell us that her email account expired because she didn't access it for 30 days or something (this has happened more than once). Plus she doens't like to write. So that's why I can't get her to post here, but maybe I'll pick on her again :).

singerskates

On the Ice
starshinexavier said:

Singer: Awesome news about your spiral and super huge jumps. Doesn't it just feel like you're flying now?

No, it doesn't feel like I'm flying yet. It just feels right and light. I rather like floating down to the ice. Still want to jump even higher so that one day I can do double jumps. Now when I can jump like Jeff or Elvis, that will be flying, probably when I'm in heaven but not on this earth. LOL

Saw how Jeff did at Summer Skate on the COS site. Too bad Elvis had to pull out. Hope he's feeling better soon.

Nope, never sliced my fingers to shreds yet. Hope I never will.

Everyone take care and quit hogging my ice. ROTFLOL It's mine, mine, mine, mine, all mine. LOL :D

OK, I'll share. ;)