New Sasha Cohen Article - Meet the champions, then watch them skate | Golden Skate

New Sasha Cohen Article - Meet the champions, then watch them skate

I think Coral Springs is a suburb of Fort Lauderdale, a very bustling city and much of a retirement town for Newyorkers. It will be hot and humid much of the time so being in an ice rink will be most pleasant. However, January and February will ease up on the heat so one can do things without looking for air conditioning. (If I sound like sour grapes, it is)

Joe

Fossi

Final Flight
I can't imagine why Sasha would even consider returning. IMHO she isn't even close to being competitive. She couldn't seal the deal when she WAS competitive. She'll be fighting an uphill battle. But, I'll watch if she does come back just to see where she places.

dizzydi7

On the Ice
New Sasha article

I can't imagine why Sasha would try a comeback. It seems to me that it will be an uphill battle that may be impossible to climb. Interesting that she hasn't watched any competitions lately. Perhaps she should. As much as I love Sasha's skating, realistically, I believe a comeback would be a disaster. For one thing, it's likely she would be plagued with injuries trying to keep up with the current ladies.

It was fabulous when she skated competitively. I will always remember her wonderful contribution to the sport. In my opinion, there has been no one like her in the past and no one who has her wonderful perfect form and uncanny ability to be in position before the first rotation on her spins. She is one of a kind.

Thanks for the memories, Sasha.

Dizzy

R.D.

Record Breaker
There is one quote in that article: "as for the new crop of skaters, I haven't watched the latest competitions." I think if she was serious about it, she WOULD watch and evaluate whether she could be competitive in the new environment. Therefore I propose that she is just bluffing- putting off the inevitable- she won't come back but is being vague about it to keep her name out there (and why? you're headlining a major skating tour so you'll get press anyway).

I came down on MK for being vague about her decision to come back in 06 and I never heard the end of it. Now we see the same thing happening here- and by all means I won't single Cohen out- ALL of "yesterday's" skaters are pulling this stunt. Plushenko, Slutskaya, Kwan herself to name a few.

But in the event that they truthfully don't know, I apologize for any generalizations in this comment. However, they should know the end is coming quickly, if not already passed, and they probably should just admit it for the sake of their health, jmo

bekalc

Record Breaker
I suspect a lot of the skaters don't want to admit it to themselves that they aren't coming back.

As for Sasha, I agree that it's silly she isn't watching the current ladies, if she wants to come back. I wonder though if she's heard that now top contendors do 3/3's in the short program...?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sick of this discussion- post deleted.

Last edited:

ChrisH

On the Ice
I'd like to see Sasha skate in the grand prix. :yes: I see that there is a rule about having to have a top 75 seasonal best score to get an invitation, but I imagine that Sasha could get an exception for Skate America considering that she is a former Olympic silver medalist and US champion. There would still be enough slots in the grand prix for our best skaters to get two invites and a few others to get one invite.

2.2. Invited Skaters/Couples

e) If any slot(s) remains open and if all skaters/couples as defined in paragraph 2.2. a) and b) above have been selected for one (1) event, the host country may select any skater/couple with a top 75 seasonal best score to fill the open slot(s).

j) A maximum of three skaters/couples from the same ISU Member may compete in the same category of any individual event of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating.
http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=579

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
please don't start another "sasha's prospective return" thread.

I am glad to hear she is working with Mr. Nicks again. That's all I am going to say.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd like to see Sasha skate in the grand prix. :yes: I see that there is a rule about having to have a top 75 seasonal best score to get an invitation, but I imagine that Sasha could get an exception for Skate America considering that she is a former Olympic silver medalist and US champion. There would still be enough slots in the grand prix for our best skaters to get two invites and a few others to get one invite.

Sure, the USFS could invite Sasha to Skate America 2008. But right now, she can land only 2A and 3S. She says she would start training in June if she decided to come back.

In what universe can a skater who's been doing exhibition skating for two years and has lost all her harder jumps (loop, lutz, flip) be ready with two new programs and 5 consistent triples in just 4 months? I'm not even sure she could be ready in 7 months.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"A dazzling, balletic skater with many titles to her name."

:confused: How does 1 National title and 1 Grand Prix Final title translate to "many titles"?

rtureck

Final Flight
"A dazzling, balletic skater with many titles to her name."

:confused: How does 1 National title and 1 Grand Prix Final title translate to "many titles"?

They must be counting the Skate America, and Skate Canada. They never said many major titles. I hope she does not skate competitively again. Whenever Cohen was in competition, she looked like deer under headlight.

ChrisH

On the Ice
Sure, the USFS could invite Sasha to Skate America 2008. But right now, she can land only 2A and 3S. She says she would start training in June if she decided to come back.
Okay. June of this year, right?

In what universe can a skater who's been doing exhibition skating for two years and has lost all her harder jumps (loop, lutz, flip) be ready with two new programs and 5 consistent triples in just 4 months? I'm not even sure she could be ready in 7 months.
I'm not expecting much, just making it to the 2nd group for the free skate at Skate America. Even if she is totally committed to a comeback, I don't think she'll be strong enough technically to make our Worlds or Olympics teams. Sasha's presence alone, however, can't but help our skaters improve their presentation skills.

Besides Sasha's 5 Grand Prix wins (Jenny Kirk was robbed at Skate America 2003), Sasha also won titles at the 2005 Campbell's Classic (phone-in), the 2004 Marshall's Figure Skating Classic, the 2003 Campbell's Classic, the 2002 Whitestrips Challenge, and the 2001 Finlandia Trophy.

Plus, she tied with the Haydenettes to win the 2004 Michelle Kwan Trophy/Reader's Choice Award.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

I do not know what lead you to believe that just because sasha is not attempting the lutzes, loops and flips in shows means that she lost them.

Also, she never said she would be coming back for 08-09. she said she would announce this year if she was coming back for 2010. not for 2009.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Sasha doesn't return in 2009, she might as well forget about the Olympics.

Sasha has to re-establish herself with ISU judges. The last time they saw her (Worlds 2006) she was far from impressive. If she made her 'comeback' attempt at the Olympics, the judges would likely see her in the same light they saw Boitano, Browning, Witt and Torvill/Dean in 1994: they got no special treatment or brownie points, even though all were former World and/or Olympic champions. Sasha is neither.

And that is assuming Sasha would even make the US team, which is definitely not a given. There are too many ladies who can do 3/3 in SP and FS, and several of the ladies have spirals and spins as good as or better than Sasha's. Chances are some or all of them will be even better two seasons from now.