Globe&Mail Story About Witt's Final Performance | Golden Skate

Globe&Mail Story About Witt's Final Performance

kittyjake5

On the Ice
Thank you for sharing. Kat has had a long and wonderful career. Sheesh she is 42, she sure does not look it. I hope that it televised in the U.S. Her last skate was to Carmen, awwww I wish I was there in person to see that.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
So fitting that she skated to Carmen. Must have been great to see that live. Wish her well in her future life!

mememe

On the Ice
It was a very good show -- I got to see it in Germany and really enjoyed it. Very well-put-together and interesting. Kat was wonderful -- she didn't jump much (well, she didn't jump at all, I think all she did was one single axel) but she's still got "it" and can really sell a program. Brian was outstanding, still has the Tano triple lutz, toe loop, salchow and big double axels and appeared to be having a ball. Caryn was good, Steven was good, and Lang & Tchernyshev were excellent, too. Also had Ryan Bradley, who was a lot of fun. Then had a couple of young German dance teams and a pair team. There was lots of ensemble work and most of the solos were fairly short and fit into specific ensemble themes. Really well done. Nice use of big screens and lights on the "set," too. Katarina skate a lot! She did a piece of her Where Have All The Flowers Gone program (very effective -- she was in a beautiful black dress) back-to-back with Brian's Imagine, which was a great segment. She also did some Carmen (when I saw it, this was in the middle of the second act, not the final program) to some guitar set of the Habanera -- she was VERY good and really sold this (and the set was very effective, with the big screen showing clips from her Olympic Carmen and Carmen on Ice, then going into leaping flames -- which also were "leaping" up some columns of lights on either side of the screen). The music built and she matched it in emotion and performance, too. This was back-to-back with Boitano's Nessun Dorma, which was introduced with clips of the two of them in Carmen, another really effective grouping. They also did a Pirate ensemble number with Kat and the guys -- this was SO much fun! From what I gathered (the voiceovers were, naturally, all in German, and I only understand a bit of German), they talked about Katarina's "programs in pants," highlighting her Robin Hood, Man of LaMancha, Amadeus, etc., then said she always wanted to be a pirate and so now she was going to be. It used music from Pirates of the Carribbean and the guys all came out and played "pirate" for awhile (lots of sword fighting and swashbuckling going on, very cute) then Kat came out as the "captain" and they all did things together. That was really fun. Kat also did a couple other solos -- she skated about 6-7 times.

Overall, a great show and the audience really loved her -- she got huge ovations, as did Brian and Lang & Tchernyshev, in particular.

Suska

Spectator
The german channel PRO7 ( don't know if anybody can see it ) will show the highlights on monday, March 24th at 7pm!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Then video clips should be available shortly thereafter!

Thanks for the great review of the show.

mememe

On the Ice
Here are some clips:

*The part where they show highlights of some of her programs, including some photos from when she was younger-
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vNYwOSw6GHc

*The Carmen piece-
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sVnY96TDpG8

This one wasn't on the show, but this is one of my favourite Katarina programs to Sag Mir Wo die Blumen Sind-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mO_m70Trqw

Thanks for the links.
"
Actually, Sag Mir Wo die Blumen Sind" was in the show -- Kat did it in the first half. The first part of the program was on the screen, it was a clip from her Olympic performance of that program. After the first three jump passes, when it slowed down from the fast-paced opening music, the video stopped and Katarina was on the ice in a very lovely black dress and she did what appeared to be most of rest of the program (without any jumps) there on the ice live. The choreography looked very similar to what she did in Lillehammer, as I remember it, at least -- it was probably changed a bit to accommodate the lack of jumps, but the footwork and spins looked pretty much the same. She ended it in the same pose as at the Olympics, and the screen had the saying "Wann wird man je verstehen?" ("When will they learn?" but I'm not sure I have the exact German words). It was a really wonderful part of the show.