Suguri has her never ending story | Golden Skate

Suguri has her never ending story

sorcerer

Final Flight
TBS-TV here just finished broadcasting the "Nagano Memorial", a figure skating show commemorating the 10th year from the Nagano Olympics. Many medalists from that past event regathered from Japan and abroad, plus some contemporary eligible skaters like Nana.
(BTW Surya did her back flip as expected.)

Among them of course Shizuka's skating stood out, but Fumie also performed with charm, relaxed and vivid, her usual gala number from "Chicago", with jumps, a triple and a double, flawless.

In the back-stage interview, being asked a bold question of her prospect for the Vancouver Olys, Suguri affirmatively said that she aims to make her next season a step to reach the Vancouver games, and that she'd put her high goal in that Olys.

I felt that it was not a make-belief reply to the interviewer, but her real-belief in herself....a belief not necessarily of succeeding in it, but of being able to persue to the very end.... I am quite moved by her courage.

paralegalmkfan

Rinkside
I love Fumie ~ she seems like a genuinely kind person. I hope she goes for it, and regardless of the outcome, will walk away from her sport feeling good about her accomplishments. Personally, IMHO, she got jobbed at Turino, but that's just me.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I love Fumie too. She is a special skater and I hope she sticks around.

R.D.

Record Breaker
You know, one has to hand it to her for sticking in the game so long, even when things aren't perfect. She could have easily "taken a year off" or "pseduo-retired", clinging to the false hope of a possible "return" or "comeback". No, she's willing to just keep fighting the fight. Personally, like all of the previous-generation skaters, I think her time is over, but if she thinks she can do it, let her try. Nothing wrong with that.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Kudos to Fumie for sticking it out and keep fighting. Her time or not, it is all good for her as long as she sees the purpose in skating competitively and feels good about it. Everything is in the state of her mind.

Thanks for posting this.

Kanbate Gudasai, Fumie San.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the info. I alway enjoy hearing about Fumie.

summervie

Rinkside
[strike]Any movie with Godzilla is better than a movie without Godzilla.[/strike] Any figure skating competition with Fumie is better than a competition without her. Go Fumie!

summervie

Rinkside
:biggrin: you're comparing fumie to Godzilla????????? :)

Well, hardly. Fumie is better. :) ("Fumie Suguri is faster than a cheetah, meaner than a Tyrranosaurus Rex, bigger than a sperm whale, and as hungry as the state of Texas. We mention this because fifty of them just enterd the plaza and spotted you".) :laugh:

But, 'jokes' aside, of course Fumie is unique (in many things), and I am really very glad that she will be here at least for two years more.
Go Fumie! :)

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
My Love, My fate, you will not fade away.....:rock::rock:

- from Janice

Ah Fumie...........................:love::love::love:

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
Thumbs up for the Fumie-love. :love: I'll be rooting for her till the end. It really says something about her perseverance and resilience that she's sticking it out, even with the rough season and a half she's had. Here's hoping it clicks again for her next season.