Michelle: Will she or won't she? | Golden Skate

Michelle: Will she or won't she?

Will Michelle stick around for Turin?

• YES, she wants one more shot at the gold.

Votes: 34 61.8%
  • NO, she'll be 25 and technically behind the younger field.

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Maybe--unless she decides to take life in another direction.

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters

Pookie

Final Flight
I think she will stay for one more try. I think her competitive drive will stay alive if she continues to do fewer competitions like she has been.

icenut84

Final Flight
I reckon she will. She's taking it one year at a time, competing less, and I think that's good for her. There's only 2 more years till the Olympic year, so I reckon she'll go for it, even if she doesn't want to commit herself to it yet by making a statement. It'll be incredible if she wins!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I voted she try one more time.

Dee

Germanice

On the Ice
Of course she will! But too bad - if she follows her usual Olympic trend, she won't be even on the podium in Turino! :D

Anke

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm going to turn in a different direction by saying Maybe. I reckon even she doesn't know yet (or maybe she does but is keeping it to herself) but personally, I would rather her not but if she wants to let her try.

:) :rolleye: :)

I agree with RTureck. For the life of me I can't see anything remotely approaching "desperation" in Michelle's attitude toward the Olympic games, nor anything in her words or actions that would cause anyone to want to invent such a feeling and ascribe it to her.

If Michelle does compete, I am sure that she will do so with aplomb and grace, whatever the outcome.

Mathman

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
If she wants to stay and that fits in with her life I'd be thrilled to see her go out with one last Olympic experience. But, I don't think it really matters anymore in terms of winning or not. Sure, I'd be elated to see her with Olympic Gold (And I'm sure she would too), but she's more than shown just why it is she has such an enormous fan base. An Olympic Gold wouldn't make me respect her skill and attitude anymore than I already do. Although, a secret part of me would love to have her in Turino just to annoy her detractors....the Gold Medal Hungry Kwan vows to skate until Olympic Gold or forced retirement! LOL..no, honestly, I feel she'll be there. I think she would have retired already if she really felt Turino wasn't in the cards.

kayskate

Rinkside
I said "other", b/c I think if she decides to compete in another Oly and try for the gold, she may have to take a new approach w/ her training and technical content. The field is only getting tougher in terms of technical skating and she will have to add more difficult jumps to her programs if she wants to contend for gold. If she decides to commit to a new approach, she will go for it. But (IMHO) she would have to commit to doing things somewhat differently.

Kay

mzheng

Record Breaker
She may be or may be not. She'll evaluate how competetive her skating is year by year...

I'm going to say if she is there, she will DEFINITELY be on podium.

dizzydi

On the Ice
I voted "yes" because I think Michelle plans to go for another Olympic try. However, I think a lot will depend on the competition at that point. I think she is using an excellent strategy......keep eligible and size-up the competition. Shortly before Turnio she can determine her chances of standing on the podium. I think if Michelle feels she has a chance to beat the competition, she will go for it.

There is a lot of talent developing among the ladies right now, however, injuries can play a big role in who is still standing by Turino. Some of the ladies who are burning themselves out practicing the triple and quad jumps may be history by the time Turnio rolls around. There is always a chance that a special little dynamo is yet to show up who will walk away with the Gold.

Michelle is a very smart and experienced competitor. I expect her to stay eligible and not make an announcement regarding her bid for Turino until the very last moment. If she goes to Turnio, it will be to win or to at least stand on the podium. It won't be "for another Olympic experience" like she may say to the press.

Dizzy

lavender

Record Breaker
I think she would like to try or win but I don't know if she's as interested as she use to be because maybe she feels that winning gold may not be in her cards after the last 2 times. The wins were so weird that I would start to think that it's just not meant for me. So I will go with maybe she will try.

From little girl to mature lady, MK, will always be the "best" for me.

Imo, she is now a mature lady and has already been making decisions for herself vis-a-vis Frank and Lori. I believe she is mature in other ways besides figure skating, too. I see her as moving on at some point. When? I think it will be soon.

Joe