Anyone Else Just Skating For Fun? | Golden Skate

Anyone Else Just Skating For Fun?

bondgirl

Rinkside
Anyone else out there just skating for "fun"? It seems like everyone on the rink is training for Nats/Adult Nats/Tests etc... I think I may be the only one at my rink who is a "practice skater." Is there anyone else, or is everyone competiting (or hoping to)?

gkelly

Record Breaker
I take tests and enter competitions when it's convenient -- for fun. I also practice some skills that I enjoy practicing but would not need for any tests or competitions in the immediate future.

I don't have enough money or competitive drive to focus my skating on achieving results.

bondgirl

Rinkside
I admire you for getting out there and preforming. :bow:
So...you would be someone who, generally, is a practice skater, (but competes/tests occasionally).
Maybe I should have worded it differently. I didn't mean to imply that the "testing/competition" skaters weren't having fun.

bondgirl

Rinkside
Yes, I think most skaters test in order to compete (since they have to) or to have a standard to train up to (as you do). Also, if you have a coach, he/she probably encourages it.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Also, if you have a coach, he/she probably encourages it.
I'm coachless now, but my recent coach introduced the idea of testing and let me decide what I wanted to do and when. No pushing. I just like the challenge of testing. I haven't competed yet, but that would be up to me too.

Jcookie1982

Rinkside
I skate for fun because its a little too late for me to go to the Olympics :). I do want to test however, and possibly compete someday, just so I can have goals to work for.

Kypma

Final Flight
I started out to taking figure skating lessons for fun in September 2006 and am now working towards passing my Preliminary freestyle elements at the end of May, as well as the Dutch Waltz. I think I enjoy the idea of having a goal placed in time (ie. not just "some day") and working towards it. That being said, not sure how I'll react to the actual tests!:p

Kypma