What Sort of "Spender" are You | Golden Skate

What Sort of "Spender" are You

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
While I was at the Mall tonight, I was thinking about people's spending habits so it got me thinking about a good topic for LeCafe. Are you an impulse buyer? Sometimes I can be. It would seem lately I am. Are you "the last of the big time shoppers" - cheap or are you a "daddy warbucks" buyer - buy the item no matter what the cost.

I am usually looking for bargains. I thrive on bargain hunting! Usually, I can find them too!

Lately, though, I have not been such a "spend thrift" as I usally am. My Scottish blood usually keeps me out of debt, but I must admit I have been in the Mall a little too much lately.

Now that my work has slowed down, I will have to examine my spending habits a lot more, stay out of the malls and count my pennies!

Pookie

Final Flight
My shopping habits depend on my financial status at the time. I don't use credits cards so if I can't pay cash, I don't buy it. I use to be kind of an impulse shopper but I cured myself of that.

Our income kind of goes up and down. When it is up, I get to spend more on nicer clothes and more on what I would consider luxuries. I think it makes me appreciate it a whole lot more. I'm also very good at tightening the budget when I have to.

But I do like to go to yard sales at any time.

aly*cutie

On the Ice
Hey if I got the money, I'll go out and spend it ;) But sometimes I can find really cool clothes at such a low price, I have to look again! I like things that look good, some stores are way too expensive. But I have enought money I will spend it own somthing really cool at a more expensive store, but if I don't got a lot of money, then I will look in other stores, And still love all of it :)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I am very unusual -- I HATE SHOPPING!!! I mean really-really-really hate it!!!!! There are some exceptions, though. When I am in NYC, I love going around to little shops, as well as to all the "antique" flee markets. Also, when I go to Mexico, I love shopping in the outdoor places.

I think it is also very frustrating for me to shop for clothes -- I am under 5 feet, and it's very hard to find my size.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Ptichka:

You are unusual! I hate grocery shopping the most. You would not have trouble finding clothes here. I am only 5"1. I buy from the petite dept. if the store has one. There are also petite stores here as well. Sometimes I have to buy something regular and have it altered. I hate ill-fitting clothes.

We have so many short women here, from China and Phillipines, it's easy to find clothes. Shoes are another story. They don't seem to make many under size 6. My mom takes a 5 1/2.

The only time I hate clothes shopping is when I know I can't afford something! I also love shopping in Victoria. There are a lot of interesting stores to choose from.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I love finding bargains and I almost never buy anything full price. I used to joke and tell people that my "colors" in clothing was anything on sale. I don't like to shop for clothes, and only do so to replace an item worn out. When I do shop, I try to shop for the entire season, so I don't have to go back. I DO love to shop for books, houseware items, knicknacks, furniture............42

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I like to shop:) However I don't like to pay full price for anything. I always like to see how cheap I can buy something that is good quality. When decorating my house I look for things at discount stores to expensive stores to compare prices. I usually only buy clothing when it is on sale. I picked up a pair of cute red pants the other day. Original cost was $28., I paid only $9 at a nice department store. Shoes are the only thing that I don't mind spending money on especially my athletic shoes-quality counts in those.

Lad-I agree with you on the shoes. I wear a size 5 1/2 too and a lot of places don't carry that size!

Yazmeen

On the Ice
My husband jokes that I map out my shopping at Express and New York and Company like a General planning a war to take maximum advantage of my coupons and "fast" cash certificates!! I'm definitely a cheapskate who hunts for bargains, and I love outlets. I never pay full price for just about ANYTHING.

Lad: I sympathize with you on petite issues. I'm just a hair under five foot four, so I'm right on the "tall" end of petite. I've learned NOT to buy any short length pants that might shrink in the wash (jeans, cottons/rayons) because they always seem to end up about an inch too short!!! Shoes are also my problem. Like your Mom, I usually need a 5 and 1/2, and shoe stores won't stock many small pairs. I depend on an Easy Spirit outlet and a Famous Footwear locally that seem to stock smaller shoes. I can get away with a six in sandals, thank goodness. I've also learned to raid the children's department! I have loafers, docksiders and a new pair of sneakers that are all kid's size 3 or 3 and 1/2. They're great, and the support is better with a wider toebox. Ironically the sneaks are by Danskin and they're called "Freestyles." How perfect for a skater!

Lcp88

On the Ice
I don't mind spending a lot of money on clothes if I know I'm going to wear them a lot. For example, I was at Express yesterday (its a bit expensive, but they fit me well) and they had their "tagless mini-tee's" that usually go 2 for $20 at the regualr price of 1 for $16.50. I went ahead a bought it just becase I know I'll get my money's worth out of it.

I definatly prefer book shopping to anything else- my friends joke that I know the inventory of Borders better than the sales people:D .
Laura

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I love shopping!! And I'm a super bargain finder...its a result of always being a poor student, or right now a poor ex-student.

I have trouble finding clothes, but not because I'm tiny. 5'10 with monkey arms...everything is too short. If I get something to fit in length, its too big in girth. I have loads of trouble finding shoes because I have extemely wide feet. So all the little girly sandals that I love, I can't wear. Nope, its old lady shoes for me.

I also like buying things to decorate my aparment...which is a problem right now. I don't have one! I bought a papisan chair last week (super good sale) its sitting in my parents tv room right now.

So right now I'm trying to avoid malls. I need a job first! :)

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Just went shopping today for my sons school supplies and ended up buying him a pair of shorts that were on sale for $12.99. When I went to buy them they rang up for $3.49!!!!!! Now that's a bargain:D

Ladskater

Record Breaker
dlkksk8fan:

Now that's my kind of bargain! I love it when that happens. I got a suit tonight at Sears that was marked down an additional 30% for each piece. So instead of $24.99 each, it worked out to $17.00 each! It's a really stylish suit too. Not bad, eh?

Lucy25

Final Flight
I love to shop! Clothes, shoes, jewelry, books, you name it. Sometimes I just like to look for hours and not buy anything. I like bargains, but I also like "nice" clothes. I never have been able to afford them until now. I love finding designer stuff on clearance. Like today at Marshall Fields I got two DKNY skirts. One was originally $228 :)eek: ) marked down to $45, and the other was originally $198 :)eek: ) marked down to $39. They were incredible bargains and were listed as part of their spring collection, but they are really heavy so I plan to wear them to work with a sweater this fall and winter. Who in their right mind would spend $200 on a skirt?!?! Even if I were a millionaire I wouldn't. It is sinful, IMO. Anyway, I have also found two Ralph Lauren sweater sets at 70% off. I can't pass up those kinds of bargains. Then again, I have no children to support so it is a little easier for me.

My biggest pet peeve with shopping is that I am always pressured to apply for that department store's credit card. They don't take no for an answer too well. I feel like carrying a card that says "I'm not interested, thanks" and just handing it to the cashier.

kzarah

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
On the Ice
I hate shopping, particularlyl for clothes and groceries. When I go to the store, I know exactly what I need and I go right to that or those items. then I am out of the store. Little Lulu on the other hand loves shopping. Once a month I taker her to pet co to get her claws clipped. When we are done with the claw clipping, I put Little Lulu in the shopping cart . She rides in the baby basket. We go looking at the birdies and the fishies. Then, we go by the kitty toy department and Lil Lu reaches from the cart to grab the toys that she likes. She only gets one toy.
Daniel and Little Lulu

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
CHARGE!!!!

Lucy25 said:
My biggest pet peeve with shopping is that I am always pressured to apply for that department store's credit card. They don't take no for an answer too well. I feel like carrying a card that says "I'm not interested, thanks" and just handing it to the cashier.

Often when I hand my purchases to these dept. store cashers, I say up front, "No, I'm not interested in a store credit card." AND THAT'S BEFORE THEY'VE EVEN ASKED! I've also been known to answer that "Do you want a Sears credit card?" with "No, I'm not interested in paying 20% interest on these purchases, but thanks for asking." That shuts 'em up real fast. One Sears clerk told me they are REQUIRED to get a certain amount of customers to take out a credit card each and every month and she hoped she didn't get fired over it because she hated asking people!

I absolutely LOVE to shop for clothes, although truthfully I don't do it too often. I would NEVER pay full price for anything, which is why I'm a Ross-aholic. I usually make out like a bandit at that store. I need casual suits, and I always find them at Ross for unbelievable prices. I turned Mr. RG onto that store and now HE raves about their bargains! Their kids section is lame, but for some reason, I went there last weekend and found RG Jr. a lot of stuff, including two lined jackets for "winter" (Ha! Ha! We don't really have a winter--but you know, those slightly nippy months coming up soon...) I paid $185 total and walked out of the store with four HUGE bags of clothes for myself and RG Jr. I was absolutely THRILLED!
:love:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Lad-good deal for that suit!

and Lucy even a better deal!!

Daniel-spoken like a true man:laugh: At least little lu lu knows how to shop:)

RealtorGal-I love shopping at Ross (I sound like a commerical:laugh: ) Yesterday I found my youngest son a QuickSilver collar shirt for $12 there, but you are right the kids department is lame. Unfortunately the Ross by my house isn't as good as the one where I use to live.

Lucy25

Final Flight
Re: CHARGE!!!!

RealtorGal said:
Often when I hand my purchases to these dept. store cashers, I say up front, "No, I'm not interested in a store credit card." AND THAT'S BEFORE THEY'VE EVEN ASKED! I've also been known to answer that "Do you want a Sears credit card?" with "No, I'm not interested in paying 20% interest on these purchases, but thanks for asking." That shuts 'em up real fast. One Sears clerk told me they are REQUIRED to get a certain amount of customers to take out a credit card each and every month and she hoped she didn't get fired over it because she hated asking people!

I absolutely LOVE to shop for clothes, although truthfully I don't do it too often. I would NEVER pay full price for anything, which is why I'm a Ross-aholic. I usually make out like a bandit at that store. I need casual suits, and I always find them at Ross for unbelievable prices. I turned Mr. RG onto that store and now HE raves about their bargains!

I wish they had this store by me! I have never heard of it, though.

I was at a department store not too long ago (Kohl's) and overheard two cashiers talk about how many applications for credit cards they had gotten that day. Yes, they do have daily quotas and the store would have a quota itself.Long ago I used to manage a B.Dalton bookstore. We had Bookseller card quotas and would literally get in trouble if we did not sell a certain number of them. I hated it and was always getting repremanded for not pushing the customers hard enough!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Wow. I hadn't even thought of them having quotas for credit cards. I don't really use them that much. Actually, when it comes to taking your bills out of your checking account, I prefer using the credit card because I can see what they're doing before I have to pay for it and that way I can know ahead of time before I have to worry about it coming out of my checking account.
I have never had very good luck with Ross'. Most everything I have purchased from them hasn't held up very well. I usually try & get mine from Dillards when they have their 75% off sale prices. I don't pay full price very often. Usually, if I do, it's when something comes up andI have to get it then. My daughter's birthday is in April and you have to pay full price then.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
One Sears clerk told me they are REQUIRED to get a certain amount of customers to take out a credit card each and every month and she hoped she didn't get fired over it because she hated asking people!

I used to work at Sears and this is true. I hated that part of my job. Lucky for me, I worked in hardware , where most of the customers were regulars who used their card anyways. But if I did get someone to join up for one, I got a 3 buck bonus and a pat on the back from my manager.

diver chick

On the Ice
I am a poor student so tend to keep an eye on spending and generally go for bargains. I hate shopping with a passion so unless I don't know what I am looking for I avoid the shops and buy online. I have a credit card for the more expensive items like my dive kit but I always ccarefully budget and work out how long it will take to pay back before using and also keep the limit fairly low so I can't get myself into manageable debt.