Really good, long Morosov interview | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Really good, long Morosov interview

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Thanks Pitchka - I do indeed learn more about Russian names. What about yours. I'm sure it is a diminuitive of a larger name. Am I correct?
Well, my real name is Maria. It has probably more diminuatives than any other name. The most common one is Masha (and its variations -- Mashka, Mashen'ka, etc.), but there is also Manya (Man'ka, Manechka), Marusya (Marus'ka, Marusechka), and many others. Other than Masha, the other basic forms are mainly used in the rural areas.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
"No, Sasha came to Tarasova with both programs done."

That's news!

Everyone had been talking all season about the new programs TT had created for her.

curious

Final Flight
Yep. Tarasova got all the credit for something she didn't do. I wonder if that was the reason Nicky and TT split up.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
Saying Tatiana Anatolievna is equivalent to saying Mrs. Tarasova in English. This is THE polite was of addressing your elders.

Thank you so much for explaining this. I had always thought that using the first name and patrynomic was a sign of being "in" the circle, as in, "Tatiana, Anatol's kid," not of being formal. That certainly sheds new light on Plisetskaya's use of the form throughout her autobiography.

Hockeyfan - You have read Plisetskaya's bio! I haven't finished it yet but so far she has had an incredible life in the book. I hope it explains why she never skipped out on the Soviets (they were not nice to her family) when others were seeking assylum when touring western countries.

She was and is my favorite Bravura ballerina of all time.

Joe