Proper jump technique website...could this be real? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Proper jump technique website...could this be real?

skatergirl45

On the Ice
I watched some of the videos.
This is Micheal Weiss's website. It is very basic stuff but it is good information for some one who wants to learn about jumps.

Thank you for posting!

backspin

On the Ice
I like the Michael Weiss videos--they're really well written, very clear & easy to understand for the lay person.

I agree w/ others about the other jump website; interesting, but not sure it's really the info we need to be telling the kids when they're learning the jump. As someone said, you're still rotating once or twice, regardless of how much rotation happens on the ice vs. in the air, it still has to be the full rotation.

I can only accept jumps-by-definition. Once the jump is done by definition then I can praise the jumps for any special attributes. Attempts imo, should not be scored because, for me, the jump wasn't valid.

The above differs from the ISU but then I do not feel I have to agree with them.

Joe

mskater93

Record Breaker
In what way does it differ from the ISU? I haven't seen one person at the Jr/Sr level get a UR call for a 3Lo that takes off practically forward.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
The important thing, in my opinion, is to do the best that you can do. What will you feel better about in the long-run, quickly learning how to do a single cheated loop with only a quarter rotation in the air or taking your time and finally nailing the technique and landing that loop perfectly executed? If you cheat your jumps in the beginning, you are only cheating yourself and setting yourself up for disappointment down the road when the cheats stop working and you find it out it was the correct technique that you needed all along. Then you are stuck going back down the road of relearning your jumps.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I am pretty sure almost all coaches are teaching the flag on the loop these days (which is technically taking off forward).

skatergirl45

On the Ice
hello!

I had a lesson with a different coach this week and she too, applied his techniques. Except, I was working on teh double toe and she told me to pivot on the ice before I took off and not take off until I am forward. I could not grasp this concept because I beleive that doubles are 2 times around.
Also, we were exaimining my take off edge of my double sal. I could clearly see that I did not take off until I was forward.
Eventhough, I see another coach using his methods I still don't beleive in them because they do not help me.
This really gives off how mental this sport really is. How we need to think of a jump as 2 rev when it isn't and people tell us it is not.............

icedancingnut31

On the Ice
The guy on the site was filming at my rink today. I did a waltz jump to show off and landed on my butt lol.

no toepicks

Spectator
interesting topic, but the isu rules all

so after reading the posts, I found it interesting that noone has been mentioning the isu and where they stand. The isu looks at the landing from the perspective of the take off and judge when the skater has landed. if there is more than a hook, its cheated. if there is even a little less than a hook then its cheated, based on 08/09 results. therefore, a 1/4 turn for a loop, while may seem clean, is not.