Posing for "Playboy" Magazine | Golden Skate

Posing for "Playboy" Magazine

S

SkateFan4Life

A few years ago Katarina Witt created quite a stir when she posed for a December issue of "Playboy" magazine. The issue was a sell-out, and Kat was mobbed by fans wherever she went, asking her to autograph the cover.

As a non-American, Witt wasn't held to the cutesy-cutsey,
little "goody two skates" persona that seems to have been the expected criteria for American women figure skaters.

Can you imagine the hullaballo if Dorothy Hamill, Peggy Fleming,
Kristi Yamaguchi, Tara Lipinski, or Michelle Kwan posed for "Playboy?" Granted, Hamill, Fleming, Yamaguchi, and Lipinski have all left the eligible ranks, so the USFSA could not do anything but perhaps shake their heads in astonishment.
However, an American eligible figure skater who did such a thing would, well, probably be banned from further participation in any USFSA-sanctioned competitions/events.

Just a little food for thought. I'm certainly not encouraging anybody out there to follow Witt's lead in this undertaking. I'm not a prude, but honestly, I think that's a bit much.

:eek:

Rachael

On the Ice
Tanja S and Maria B both posed for European playboy. Maria was still Olympic elgiable.

Antilles

Medalist
Didn't Tatiana Navka and Viktoria Volchkova pose nude for a Russian publication a year or two ago?

Panther2000

On the Ice
Frankly, Kat Witt has always been a sex kitten. Even during her skating days. So when she decided to pose for playboy. I said, what took her so long. A woman has every right to do that if she chooses. However, I find it do nothing for the sport or more important. Women sports. It only reinforced alot of the male sterotypes regarding the women to begin with. She did it for one reason only. MONEY She tried to break into acting here in the States. That went nowhere. So the next best thing was posing Nude in order to get attention. :rolleye:

I don't think that it hurt the sport too much. But, it did not help the sport at all. Posing nude, tell me how is that going to help the sport? What bring the old diry men into the arena so they could drool all over the little girls coming up. Yeah, that will help:rolleye:

She did it for the attention that it would draw to her. Face it. her skaiting days are almost over. She can barely jump anymore. Not talking tripes here. Even her doubles are shaky. She can only do tours. in which her being a double olympic champ. She is no longer drawer of the tours. Its not her that puts butts in the seats. It is the younger & fresher skaters.

Like I said, I really have no problem with posing nude. But, if it is in an artistic way. But, playboy is not artistic at all. It is SMUT But, I don't see any American skater doing that. Not even Nicole Bobeck or tony posed nude. & They were never these so called ice princesses that people keep saying.

Frankly, I hate the term ice princess. Just because, theses ladies, girls were brought up with manners, & thaught how to be lady like. Doesn't mean that they are cold princesses. Remember, we are only seeing them when they are on ice. They are more themselves off the ice & away from the cameras.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
as an 18 year old American girl in a culture where girls are allowed to dress in very little to go to school... I lose a lot of respect for any woman who thinks that playboy is a good way to make a living...

it's disgusting

Last edited:

skatepixie

On the Ice
if youre gonna belive in womens rights, that implies the right to do what she chooses in matters like this...

Norlite

On the Ice
Ahh......so much that could be said.....

Toni,

Particularly because of the fact that you are an 18 year old American girl......... I am saddened by your use of the word "slut" particularly as it applies to how young girls dress. It is understandable that in your opinion, these girls are dressing inappropriately, that's fine, and I agree to a certain extent, (being the mother of two teen-age girls myself, who constantly have to monitor what my girls are wearing :\ )

But please, let's stop using words such as slut, and b**** and wh*** and all other names such as these used only to describe women. These words were invented solely to keep women down, ashamed and embarrassed about themselves. There are no comparable words for men, is there? Ever wonder why? Why aren't we calling young boys names that makes them ashamed of who they are, labels them and makes them confused about their sexuality.

Just think about it next time you want to call a girl a vile name (which is usually of a sexual nature) for behaviour that could just as easily be call inappropriate. Really, I was hoping that we as a society, and the younger members in particular, had moved away from this type of name calling. :cry:

Last edited:
I think publicity agents suggest to their clients to pose for Playboy because it boosts a sagging career. I believe in the case of Witt that there was a new Oly champ, and her endoresements were lagging.

As to the Russian ladies posing and the French boys in the steam room picture, is just a European thing. Americans are far behind the Europeans in Au Naturel.

Joe

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
I saw that Kat Witt issue and the pictures were tasteful, not gross at all, she has an absolutely incredible body. Merely posing nude, in the way Kat's photos were done, is not gross, nor does it make her a slut. I didn't look at the rest of the mag so I have no clue what their photos usually look like, but Kat's were tastefully done. I don't really understand why the US is so uptight when it comes to nudity, other countries are much more laid back about that sort of thing.

Panther2000

On the Ice
Joesitz & I agree in the purpose of doing these types of pictures. Publicity. It's sad but true.

Norlite

On the Ice
Panther2000 said:
Joesitz & I agree in the purpose of doing these types of pictures. Publicity. It's sad but true.

I really can't imagine what other reason there would be for being in any magazine that is sold to the public as entertainment, be it Playboy, People, IFS, Vanity Fair or House and Garden.

S

SkateFan4Life

In my view, Americans are quite puritanical when it comes to nudity. Europeans are a lot more relaxed about this subject, and they have no problems with sunbathing in the buff, etc. Nude beaches dot the Riviera, and folks who engage in that behavior are considered to be perfectly normal and modest.

Not so here in the US. There is one nude beach about twenty miles north of me, which has consistently received bad press in the media, and it seems to be considered a place where "not nice" people go to sunbathe.

As for Katarina Witt, I agree with the posters who wrote that she posed for "Playboy" for the money. She had taken acting lessons and had hoped to carve an acting career in America, and that never panned out. A pretty face and attractive figure can take you only so far - if the basic acting isn't there - forget it.

I agree with the young lady (18 year old) who wrote about girls her age who dress like "sluts" to go to school. Please! I work in a large corporate building that has a very relaxed dress code. My side of the building, at least, tries to present a professional image, and all of the women come to work looking like ladies - business suits, dresses, pantsuits, slacks and a nice blouse, etc.
The men wear suits or slacks/shirt and tie. We do have a business casual day on Friday - but we can't wear blue jeans, tank tops, sneakers, etc.

The other side of the building, however, is filled with young women - some of whom dress as if they're ready to go to a bar instead of the office. Skin-tight pants, platform shoes, low-cut, tight sweaters showing plenty of cleavage, etc. YUK!
:eek: :eek:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
As to the Russian ladies posing and the French boys in the steam room picture, is just a European thing. Americans are far behind the Europeans in Au Naturel.

Joe, I disagree about the Russian ladies. Russian culture is NOT European. For example, topless beaches are just as rare in Russia as they are in the US. However, Russia IS a coulntry in cultural transition, looking for its identity. As to what the verdict will be -- the jury is still out.

Thanks for the info Pitchka. As you know my knowledge of Russia is very limited. However, I'm ok with Africa and looking forward someday to the first Botswana World Champion.

Joe

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life:

Funny you should mention that; I saw a old talk show program from Canada (Dina Petty) with Phillipe Candellero; she asked him if we would consider posing nude for "Playgirl" Magazine. The ladies in the audience seemed to think it was a great idea!

Lucy25

Final Flight
Well, as one of the prudish Americans, I simply do not see the purpose of posing nude except for men (and I suppose some women) to get their thrills from it. I don't see it as "art", and the people looking at the pictures are not having art discussions over a glass of wine.

That said, I do think there is a big difference in Kat posing nude and the others listed in the original post. There is a HUGE physical difference. I don't think seeing Tara and the others nude would get much excitement out of the average man reading (looking at) Playboy. No offense to those skaters, but they hardly have much of a figure. I can see why Viktoria's pictures would be successful for the same reason as Kat's.

IDLERACER

Medalist
I would just like to put in my two cents worth by pointing out that I heard that Katarina's photos were so heavily airbrushed, that to this day, it's a matter of conjecture as to how much of those snapshots were really her and not the handiwork of some photoshop ace.

That being said, I'd also like to mention that I've also heard that if Lipinski were to do a similar spread, she wouldn't be the first cast member of "7th Heaven" to've done so.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Norlite said:
Toni,

Particularly because of the fact that you are an 18 year old American girl......... I am saddened by your use of the word "slut" particularly as it applies to how young girls dress. It is understandable that in your opinion, these girls are dressing inappropriately, that's fine, and I agree to a certain extent, (being the mother of two teen-age girls myself, who constantly have to monitor what my girls are wearing :\ )

But please, let's stop using words such as slut, and b**** and wh*** and all other names such as these used only to describe women.

I wasn't describing women in general...

I have changed my choice of words and I do apologise. I realize this is a touchy subject and I'm sorry to those I've offended. I didn't mean to in anyway.

Reta

Spectator
OK, well since this conversation is heading towards the difference between the European skaters and the American skaters. What American skaters do you see posing for a spread of some sort, be it nude or just sexy pictures. I will think of some and get back.