Skaters that could use improvement? | Golden Skate

Skaters that could use improvement?

S

SkateFan4Life

OK, this is not intended to start a "bashing" thread, but there are a few skaters who I really do not enjoy watching for various reasons.

Perhaps my all-time "least favorite" skater is Michael Weiss. Honestly, this guy is 27 years old, and he's still trying to figure out how to skate a clean long program. I am so sick and tired of watching him splatter over the ice with botched quads, missed triples axles, etc. His choregraphy is abysmal, and his musical selections are pretty lame. Always stuff that has been skated to a gazillion times.

Ugh!! OK - this really isn't meant to be a bashing thread, folks, but I'm sure there are a few skaters out there who you aren't exactly thrilled to watch, either.

:eek: :eek:

mpal2

Final Flight
Anyone who remains coached by Mishin. I didn't enjoy Alexei's programs until he moved to Tarasova. Don't get me wrong, Mishin creates some technically great skaters, I just don't like the style he puts on them. I wish I could enjoy their skating more, but I just can't get into it.

dewet

Final Flight
SkateFan, I agree about Micheal Weiss. And some of the US pairs, not exactly thrilling either.

Rachael

On the Ice
Michael Weiss
B/S
Yags
Plushy
Todd E
S/D
Tara Lipinski
Sasha Cohen
Torvill and Dean

Last edited:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Petrova & Tikhinov - I don't understand their marks most of the time. How they consistently place on the podium at Worlds and other events is beyond me. They are eratic and often flat and uninteresting. But...I will say this...they aren't without hope. There is talent there. They just need to pull it all together, incorporate some interesting choreography, choose some fitting music, and add more excitement to their presentation. Also it seems stamina is an issue with them. Perhaps a training regime overhaul or a coaching change is necessary.

As for Michael Weiss, the macho-super-skater attitude wore thin for me seasons ago. He has talent and could be a contender. He just needs to quit telling everybody else that, realize it for himself, and get the job done.

dewet

Final Flight
I was surprised that Petrova and Tikonov placed third at worlds. They were slow and there were some errors. I hope they'll have better choreography and music next season.

Germanice

On the Ice
Without further comments, let me just say I find most of them ... uhmm ... pretty ... unexciting ;):

- Michelle Kwan (... just in case you haven't already noticed it :D)
- Todd Eldredge
- Elvis Stojko
- Nancy Kerrigan
- Timothy Goebel
- Jenny Meno / Todd Sand
- Maria Petrova / Alexei Tikhonov

Anke

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Michelle Kwan is probably my very least favorite skater at the moment

Lanie

On the Ice
I really don't like Mike Weiss, just because I want to tell him to shove it already. I also do not like Tara Lipinski. Never have. Petrova and Tikhonov are horribly boring.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Tara Lipinski--she just sets my teeth on edge.
Oksana Baiul--the "great artistry" here completely escapes me. To me she was always just a histrionic mess.
P/T: Yawn
Surya Bonaly: Her personality is fun, but oh my, the lack of basic skating skills--Yuck.

diver chick

On the Ice
Michelle Kwan, while I have great respect for what she has achieved she just never sparked my interest.

Michael Weiss, first saw him when he was fourteen and thought yeah I could like him but since hitting senior ranks he has become my bathroom break.

mpal2 I agree Mishin is technically great but artistically not so great. I always thought that if Mishin and Tarasova could get over their differeces they would make a great team.

Petrova and Tikhonov, much preferred both with their previous partners.

there are a few more but can't think of them just now.

aly*cutie

On the Ice
well I like all the skaters, but out of my favorites, Irina probably is my least favorite out of them. She's a great skater but she just needs to smile and have more presentation so I can watch her and smile back.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
While I'm an Irina fan I do agree about Irina's presentation... she really lacks a lot of emotion in her skating... *runs and hides from fellow Ira fans*

Antilles

Medalist
Michael Weiss
S&P
B&K
Tara Lipinski

I won't go into reasons, there's no need to bash. They're all fine skaters, they just do nothing for me.

Kathleen

Rinkside
I don't care for Sarah Hughes at all....there are just so many things that need to be fixed with her skating.

Timothy Goebel doesn't do it for me either, although his quads are great. He just doesn't have any style, kwim?

Have to agree about Petrova & Tikhonov as well..blech

S

SkateFan4Life

Maria Butraskaya was one of my least favorite skaters. I could not stand to see her perform in those costumes with the panty so far over the hip that, well, her fanny was practically exposed.
Talk about distracting. Yuk.

Butraskaya's skating was usually so clunky, awkward, and forced, with shaky landings, little if any artistry, and usually one or more splattering falls or miscues. Yuk.

Sometimes the judges gave her scores that really were far, far higher than she deserved. How she managed to win a few of the medals she won during her career is quite beyond me - guess the rest of the field was equally weak.

:eek: