• 1992 - Viktor Petrenko / UKR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1994 - Alexei Urmanov / RUS

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 1998 - Ilia Kulik / RUS

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • 2002 - Alexei Yagudin / RUS

Votes: 39 54.2%
  • Others - yeah, Dick Button, Manfred Schnelldorfer, what-do-I-know?

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters
Well, it has to be Uncle Dick. While I only saw newreel clips, I remember them, and he could hold his own today. Imagine, triple jumps in 1949 - well over a century ago, and the fastest spins in the west!

Joe

icenut84

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Imagine, triple jumps in 1949 - well over a century ago, and the fastest spins in the west!

1949 - well over a century ago? Dick must be reeeeeally old! :laugh:

Lee

Rinkside
I really wanted to say Yags, but Boitano was damn near perfect that night in 1988. As much as I'm not a fan of his, there's no denying the quality of that skate in Calgary.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Watch out what you say about old! Dick was born the same year as I was! :laugh:

shine

Record Breaker
I don't understand why people think as highly of Alexei's Oly performance as they do. It was not a perfect performance and I know he was capable of better presentation. I'd say it's Boitano's followed by Kulik's.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
shine said:
I don't understand why people think as highly of Alexei's Oly performance as they do. It was not a perfect performance and I know he was capable of better presentation. I'd say it's Boitano's followed by Kulik's.

LOL, I think that in these polls skating fans just vote for their favourite without considering whether the Olympic permormance REALLY was that great. Of the choices given here, I agree with you about Boitano and Kulik, their performances are the greatest.

Maybe some people base their vote on the scores Yagudin got? It is true that he got many 6,0´s, but the question is to consider, were they really deserved and WOULD he have gotten them for that Olympic freeskate performance of his if he e.g. would have been the first to skate in the final group like Boitano and Kulik did? Yagudin gave a better performance in 2002 Worlds (as far as I remember).

Marjaana

Last edited:

Pookie

Final Flight
I chose Boitano of those that I have seen. I've never been a huge fan but he was fantastic that night.

All that Jazz

Rinkside
Jaana said:
LOL, I think that in these polls skating fans just vote for their favourite without considering whether the Olympic permormance REALLY was that great. Of the choices given here, I agree with you about Boitano and Kulik, their performances are the greatest.

Maybe some people base their vote on the scores Yagudin got? It is true that he got many 6,0´s, but the question is to consider, were they really deserved and WOULD he have gotten them for that Olympic freeskate performance of his if he e.g. would have been the first to skate in the final group like Boitano and Kulik did? Yagudin gave a better performance in 2002 Worlds (as far as I remember).

Marjaana
Oh yes, skating last is such an easy ride, if you only skate well a bit, you get all the high marks for nothing! ;) Did somebody even consider what it means to skate last in the most important competition of your life? How nerve-racking, almost unbearable the waiting is until you enter the ice again? Being aware all your competitors skated well before? Being aware you're first after the SP and these are the Olympics?! Under this cirumstances Alexei did a great job. It is true, he didn't skate with his usual fire, even quite conservative, but he kept his nerves and still delieverd an outstanding performance. Some people should ask themselves if their idol would have been able to that in the same situation as well. Maybe it was their "luck" to skate first? ;)

Last edited:

curious

Final Flight
is easier to skate last when you know theres no possible way you can't win because your main rival fell in the short program. Yagudin did what he had to do to win,good but not his best. I agree he skated better in 2002 Worlds.

NanSinger2

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Well, it has to be Uncle Dick. While I only saw newreel clips, I remember them, and he could hold his own today. Imagine, triple jumps in 1949 - well over a century ago, and the fastest spins in the west!

Joe

I would love to see that newsreel clip! I sure wish that skate channel would get going!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yags is the one fresh on my mind... I don't have any of these performances on tape :(

mike79

On the Ice
I used to think Yags but now I've flip-flopped so I voted for Kulik. That was absolute perfection on ice. I still think that Yags' was nearly as good.

I think Boitano's was spectacular (one of my all-time favorite skates) but if Orser had skated perfectly I think Boitano would have won silver. It came down to 1/10th of a point, with Orser flubbing the landing on a 3flip and doubling a 2nd 3Axel.

icenut84

Final Flight
Tonichelle said:
Yags is the one fresh on my mind... I don't have any of these performances on tape :(

Try going to the tape-trading section of this site. There may well be someone who could make you a copy of these routines, and any others you're interested in. I'd be able to (I have all of them back to Boitano), but I live in England and use PAL format. It's worth a try though.