2008-2009 Programs by Discipline | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2008-2009 Programs by Discipline

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I dunno, Caroline does have personality when she's happy with how she skates... I think she suffers from the thinking that a stone cold face = maturity... just like a lot of the pairs skaters out of Colorado (?) think an open mouth = drama

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think that Caroline is very capable of facial expression. Her short program last year had a lot of personality. that's why i suggested similar, upbeat music for next year. If she continues to skate to slow classical pieces, getting into a character will be harder for her.

She will never match sasha, but nobody can.

lmarie086

Medalist
I think that Caroline is very capable of facial expression. Her short program last year had a lot of personality. that's why i suggested similar, upbeat music for next year. If she continues to skate to slow classical pieces, getting into a character will be harder for her.

She will never match sasha, but nobody can.

The slow, classical pieces thing she's got going is not what I want to see from Caroline. Loved her SP this past year; I thought it added some real fire to her skating. I think she should leave the slow, classical pieces until she's really developed her sense of presentation. Right now, like you said, it's hard for her to get into the character of it.
And well, I don't want her to match Sasha. I want her to be Caroline Zhang.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Facial expression? She was grinning up a storm at Nationals during her stunning long program.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
1. What has the Stasi to do with Schindler? Granted, we are talking about two totalitarian regimes here - but come on, there is a difference between the Nazi-regime and the DDR.

Wasn´t Stasi a kind of follow-up to Gestapo, a combination of KGB and Gestapo?

Last edited:

discoduck

On the Ice
Regarding Schindler's List. It is beautiful music, one of my favorite John Williams compositions. I think a lot of people are afraid to use it because of the subject matter of the movie it came from which is a shame.

rain

Record Breaker
Regarding Schindler's List. It is beautiful music, one of my favorite John Williams compositions. I think a lot of people are afraid to use it because of the subject matter of the movie it came from which is a shame.

I agree. This is a stunning piece of music all on its own, and doesn't HAVE to tell any kind of story of the Nazi death camps. I'd love to see someone perform to it just as a great piece of music, rather than strictly as a movie theme.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
The thing is, it has been used, by several skaters. Carolina Kostner skated to Schindler's List in the LP in her senior debut season (2003), Sergei Davydov used it this past season, as did Tamar Katz, who represents Israel. Slutskaya skated to it (possibly as an exhibition rather than competitively), and so did Paul Wylie and Katarina Witt at the World Pro Championships (according to Youtube).

Meli_Huber

On the Ice
Yeah!!!!!

Great music for the both. Thank you Ingo Steuer for this choice. :rock:

I think we will see a great programm to the music. It´s really perfect for this team!!!

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty

I tried to convince my coach that I just HAD to skate to Schindler's list. She said no. :cry::cry::cry:

TtonyV7

On the Ice
Talking about the music in general, Schindler List is a very nice choice.

Galina Manianchenko skated it as a SP one year.

This is one piece of music for a skater like Poykio could really do magic with. You need deep edges, elegance, and smooth transitions to pull this music off. Something that Poykio proved in her Munich program.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The thing is, it has been used, by several skaters. Carolina Kostner skated to Schindler's List in the LP in her senior debut season (2003), Sergei Davydov used it this past season, as did Tamar Katz, who represents Israel. Slutskaya skated to it (possibly as an exhibition rather than competitively), and so did Paul Wylie and Katarina Witt at the World Pro Championships (according to Youtube).

better that than the bazillionth program to Swan Lake!

and it's not like people skate to it every season, we get a break from it... and no one has skated it the same as anyone else. It's such a versatile piece that everyone gets something else from it.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
better that than the bazillionth program to Swan Lake!

and it's not like people skate to it every season, we get a break from it... and no one has skated it the same as anyone else. It's such a versatile piece that everyone gets something else from it.
Well, it's better than another Swan Lake, I'll give you that -and infinitely preferrable to a hip hop version of Swan Lake :cool:. But I feel as though I've heard Schindler's List enough in a skating context. Others are of course welcome to disagree. And to get back to the original post (I think), I don't think it would suit S/S's style at all. If I had to pick skaters it would work for, I'd say Laura Lepisto or Sarah Meier.

lmarie086

Medalist
Here are some more that I read about at fsuniverse

Kiira Korpi's new long program: "Agatha" by Kerkko Koskinen
Laura Lepistö's new short program: music by Karl Jenkins
Jenni Vähämaa's new long program: West Side Story, "an unusual version"
Susanna Pöykiö: can resume training on ice next week, plans to have a new short program if there is enough time

I wonder what they mean by an "unusual version" of West Side Story.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Here are some more that I read about at fsuniverse

Kiira Korpi's new long program: "Agatha" by Kerkko Koskinen
Laura Lepistö's new short program: music by Karl Jenkins
Jenni Vähämaa's new long program: West Side Story, "an unusual version"
Susanna Pöykiö: can resume training on ice next week, plans to have a new short program if there is enough time

I wonder what they mean by an "unusual version" of West Side Story.

I am SO SO happy somebody is skating to Karl Jenkins.

As for "an unusual version of West Side Story", it seems that most skaters have different versions. Nobody chooses the traditional versions from the movie.

MissIzzy

Final Flight
I am SO SO happy somebody is skating to Karl Jenkins.

Me too, but the question is, is it one of his "vocals as instrument" pieces? Sure, Fumui Suguri got away with skating to one of those a couple of years ago, but it would still make her vulnerable to overzealous technical panels, methinks.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Me too, but the question is, is it one of his "vocals as instrument" pieces? Sure, Fumui Suguri got away with skating to one of those a couple of years ago, but it would still make her vulnerable to overzealous technical panels, methinks.
That's a good point. But I really hope what happened to Joubert at Worlds will not cause skaters to abandon vocal music completely. We need more musical variety, not less!

antmanb

Record Breaker
That's a good point. But I really hope what happened to Joubert at Worlds will not cause skaters to abandon vocal music completely. We need more musical variety, not less!

In all fairness Joubert used music with vocal lyrics, it was definitely not the voice used as an instrument.

Ant

Buttercup

Record Breaker
antmanb said:
In all fairness Joubert used music with vocal lyrics, it was definitely not the voice used as an instrument.

I'm not sure why you state that as though it's fact. It didn't sound like there were lyrics to me, or to the judges at Skate Canada, French Nats and Europeans. Why would Joubert, J.C. Simond and Kurt Browning knowingly break the rules? And surely the French federation would have tried to avoid this problem if it was as obvious as you suggest?

I think in a situation like that, a skater should be given the benefit of the doubt unless it's really glaring. Maybe there can be some way to certify music at the start of the season - waiting until Worlds to stick him with a deduction was unfair.

Last edited: