2008-2009 Programs by Discipline | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2008-2009 Programs by Discipline

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Joe, I think it is possible to stay away from these more obvious choices - as I see it, several of the top men have done just that, if not for their entire career, then at least in recent years: Jeffrey Buttle, Brian Joubert and Johnny Weir seem to make musical choices that suit their own style without trying to trot out Nessun Dorma, Malaguena or Romeo and Juliet in an attempt to put their stamp on it (or Sheherazade, for that matter). Another example IMHO is Carolina Kostner, who stood out so much more this season with the Riders on the Storm SP than she would have with some of her past choices. Also, as far as I know, none of those four skaters has ever done Carmen :cool:.

I do agree with your point that it's very difficult for someone skating to a classic choice of music to truly innovate, because, as you note, often there already is a more or less definitive version by someone else. I wish skaters would take more risks in their choice of music. I understand wanting to have something the audience can get into, but I find it very difficult to get into Carmen, Tosca or Swan Lake for the bazzilionth time. What can a skater possibly bring to those that we haven't see before? It would take a lot of originality and seriously brilliant choreography and interpretation to really make for a memorable performance when you choose something like that. I wonder if part of it is that some skaters, especially in the ladies, are very young and probably not that familiar with classical music and movie scores, so they just go ahead and pick what they already know from figure skating.

bekalc

Record Breaker
So, Yuna did land triple Lutz-triple Toe?
I have never heard her practicing it before.

I've heard of her practicing it before. Supposedly in an article written by a Japanese person last season before the season started, he saw Yu-na do one. Also I remember some Korean fans said she did it once at Korean Nationals. I think the issue is that she gets no added points for doing it. Maybe it's not one hundred percent consistent. But really no added points. Mao didn't get any extra points for upgrading either. But maybe it will make a difference in the minds of the judges, and perhaps they are thinking plus 2 goe.

Joe, I think it is possible to stay away from these more obvious choices - as I see it, several of the top men have done just that, if not for their entire career, then at least in recent years: Jeffrey Buttle, Brian Joubert and Johnny Weir seem to make musical choices that suit their own style without trying to trot out Nessun Dorma, Malaguena or Romeo and Juliet in an attempt to put their stamp on it (or Sheherazade, for that matter). Another example IMHO is Carolina Kostner, who stood out so much more this season with the Riders on the Storm SP than she would have with some of her past choices. Also, as far as I know, none of those four skaters has ever done Carmen :cool:.

I do agree with your point that it's very difficult for someone skating to a classic choice of music to truly innovate, because, as you note, often there already is a more or less definitive version by someone else. I wish skaters would take more risks in their choice of music. I understand wanting to have something the audience can get into, but I find it very difficult to get into Carmen, Tosca or Swan Lake for the bazzilionth time. What can a skater possibly bring to those that we haven't see before? It would take a lot of originality and seriously brilliant choreography and interpretation to really make for a memorable performance when you choose something like that. I wonder if part of it is that some skaters, especially in the ladies, are very young and probably not that familiar with classical music and movie scores, so they just go ahead and pick what they already know from figure skating.
Excellent post and said much better than I did.

Ms.Anthrope

On the Ice
Don Q - Has any other male or female done this better than John Curry?

I think a few number of skaters have skated to portions of Don Quixoti. Tanja Szewczenko did skate to Man of La Mancha in 1994, which is based on Don Quixoti. Does that count? :biggrin:

Last edited:

Ms.Anthrope

On the Ice
I've heard of her practicing it before. Supposedly in an article written by a Japanese person last season before the season started, he saw Yu-na do one. Also I remember some Korean fans said she did it once at Korean Nationals. I think the issue is that she gets no added points for doing it. Maybe it's not one hundred percent consistent. But really no added points. Mao didn't get any extra points for upgrading either. But maybe it will make a difference in the minds of the judges, and perhaps they are thinking plus 2 goe.

A poster from YuNa's forum found a protocol for JGP Sofia Cup of 2005/2006 season where YuNa did 3 Lutz - 3 Toe in her LP.

http://www.isufs.org/results/jgpbul2005/jg...s_FS_scores.pdf

I think a few number of skaters have skated to portions of Don Quixoti. Tanja Szewczenko did skate to Man of La Mancha in 1994, which is based on Don Quixoti. Does that count? :biggrin:
Many have skated to it including Irina and Sarah Hughes, but were any as memorable as John Curry? That was my point.

TtonyV7

On the Ice
Plenty of skaters have done Don Q.

I don't prefer females to skate for some reason. Just don't quite work for me.

The best interpretation I've seen since John Curry was Takeshi Honda SP version, especially his 2002 Olympic performance of it. Loads of energy and well presented.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
ewwwww, I hate Yu-na's LP music. It's the long, boring, stringy music again. I'm so disappointed at her music choice. What is Brian Orser thinking???? Yu-na's SP music is better. Still, Mao has even better SP music in Claire de Lune. Mao's camp is smart - they always pick music that are easy on the ears. Scheharaz- whatever - I don't even care to pronounce it right, is AGAIN, the galling, schizophrenic cat- like string music. I'm SOOO disappointed. Why can't she skate to something like Madame Butterfly or Oblivion Tango - something romantic that suits her style?? Does anyone know Brian Orser or David Wilson's email address so I can tell them what I think?

The sections I heard sounded good and the choreo looked good. What I saw got a verble wow from me, which if you know me dosn't hppen very often. I think this years long will be much better than last years

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
The best Don Q for me since John Curry was Alizah Allen's in 1997. Even though there were falls, she skated to the music. She was an instrument for the story, and the story was a vehicle for her skating.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The best Don Q for me since John Curry was Alizah Allen's in 1997. Even though there were falls, she skated to the music. She was an instrument for the story, and the story was a vehicle for her skating.

I thought Scott Hamilton's Don Q was pretty good..... though it was completely tongue in cheek :rofl:

Skye

On the Ice
There are skaters who managed to fix their wrong edge take off, and (IMHO) the best lutz jumper in history flutzed until the age of 17.

I, as well as Ant, am really curious to know who this skater is. IMHO, the best lutz jumper in history is Don Jackson, the first to ever land one.

KayMil01

On the Ice
Yukari Nakano skated to Don Q back in 2006-06 I think...I remember that year was the first I've ever seen her skate.

kandidy

Final Flight
No,that was two months before, the Japan Open 2008, and this is fan made vdo inserted with fan selected song.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Apparently when Yu-na did her 3 lutz/3toe.. It was more of an ad lib thing.. She was trying her first 3 flip/3toe in competition and well she couldn't get enough to get the three toe, so when she went for her 3lutz, she tacked on a 3 toe. LOL!!!! So apparently "she can" do it and has been doing it for some time. But she doesn't plan on putting it in her program because she doesn't get any extra points for it. but who knows someday if a similar situation happens we may see a 3 lutz/3toe from Yu-na.