2008-2009 Programs by Discipline | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2008-2009 Programs by Discipline

It's about your choice of words - you said "prodigious wedgie" (I have to admit that didn't know what prodigious means - but my dictionary says that it means "erstaunlich, wunderbar" - so wonderful or astonishing - correct me if my dictionary is wrong about this)
This is actually a pretty cool word. In the original meaning (Latin), a “prodigy” was a prophetic sign. Like if a two-headed calf was born when Mars was on the cusp of Capricorn, that meant the Huns were about to invade, so you better make an offering to the gods right quick.

So from that, prodigious meant monstrous or unnatural. Gradually this morphed into something that was unnaturally good (she was a child prodigy on the violin), or unnaturally big.
Fourclover said:
...made her look like a clown with poor taste.
As opposed, that is, to a clown with good taste. :)

Ginask8s

On the Ice
If someone has an ill fitting trunk on a dress they must want it that way. Anybody who sews can make that correction . I'm sure Kostner must like it that way for whatever reason. She must have girlfriends and a mother to tell her how she looks for godsakes!

The only person who looked good with a trunk like that was Maria Butraskaya(sp) I'm sure hers was deliberate. In gymnastics, you get deductions for stuff like that.

Actually, if Kostner uses the music of the 4th Act of SL, it could be interesting to watch. It's quite sumptuous, and it may work for her.

lmarie086

Medalist
I just browsed on isu.org and found these, but I'm not sure who they came from originally. Sorry if I'm repeating anything that's already been said here.

Ryan Bradley:
SP: Elvis Presley Medley
LP: Western Themed Medley
(not a big fan of those choices but oh well)

Brandon Mroz:
SP: Till Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks by Richard Strauss
LP: Medley to one of Bach's solo Cello suites
(I'll have to look his SP up because I've never listened to it.)

Emily Hughes :
SP: I've Got Rhythm
LP: Gone with the Wind
(love love LOVE GWTW, but has there ever been a well, good program to it?)

I think those are the ones not mentioned yet.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

oh. please. not another sing sing sing! Not really her style either. the tango was good. she should just use that.

Emily Hughes :
SP: I've Got Rhythm
LP: Gone with the Wind
(love love LOVE GWTW, but has there ever been a well, good program to it?)

good choice for her keeping last year's SP. it suited her and she only skated it twice i think. Gone with the wind is a great piece of music, and i agree that nobody has ever skated to it well, but i can't feel that she would be the one to do it. Still, i have heard worse choices. Frankly i am very surprised that she is planning on competing this season with an ivy leauge university and such a deep american ladies field!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I just browsed on isu.org and found these, but I'm not sure who they came from originally. Sorry if I'm repeating anything that's already been said here.

Brandon Mroz:
SP: Till Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks by Richard Strauss
LP: Medley to one of Bach's solo Cello suites
(I'll have to look his SP up because I've never listened to it.)

Till Eulenspiegel is an interesting choice, at least thematically.
http://oaks.nvg.org/till.html
I could do with a merry prankster program from Brandon. I hadn't heard it before, and there it was on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdljBugBiN4&feature=related
Till Eulenspiel Part I

Till Eulenspiegel Part II
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdljBugBiN4&feature=related

Medusa

Record Breaker
Frankly i am very surprised that she is planning on competing this season with an ivy leauge university and such a deep american ladies field!

Perhaps she just enjoys skating and competing very much and wants to give it another shot. And why not - she has absolutely nothing to lose, nobody would be surprised if she doesn't qualify for Worlds - but maybe she makes the Top Five and the 4CC team.

I am very much looking forward to her, she is refreshing.

Doris - Is Mroz the first one to skate to Til Eulenspiegel? There are a couple of ballets to it but none really memorable.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Joe, I don't remember anyone using it before. The comedic nature of the piece is not everyone's cup of tea--

I wish Klimkin had tried it--I can see him doing something similar to his Petroushka number to it.

JewelInTheSun

Rinkside
Savchenko/Szolkowy: SP 2008/2009

Hey..
At a show from Chemnnitzer EC Aljona and Robin presented their new SP for the coming season. It's to music from "Lost in Space".
Here is a video with the first impressions on that program:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIiBl6bscmU

And here are some pictures of the new customes:
http://www.paarlauf-fanclub.de/reso...naRobininChemnitz_Autohaus_Hirsch_Hyundai.jpg

http://www.paarlauf-fanclub.de/resources/AR_Ch_mitC_hp.jpg

What do you think of this new SP? I think, it's seems very special. Surely more than e.g. Asoka..

I liked the little girl synchro team at the end!

So, are they supposed to be robot aliens, like Kerr and Kerr last year?

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
If someone has an ill fitting trunk on a dress they must want it that way. Anybody who sews can make that correction . I'm sure Kostner must like it that way for whatever reason. She must have girlfriends and a mother to tell her how she looks for godsakes!

The only person who looked good with a trunk like that was Maria Butraskaya(sp) I'm sure hers was deliberate. In gymnastics, you get deductions for stuff like that.

Ok. So its ok to create a system or style of dress specifically for young women to wear while perfoming athletic routines and then deducting points from them if a judge sees more of the thing the uniform was designed to highlight... hmmm... what is the message? its ok to have your bottom showing but only if you don't get a wedgie in the process? So bizarre the things people do to their children...

Also, I'm sorry but I can't ignore the fact that few have discussed the merits of Carolina's skating... and then we wonder why young people today are so sexualized and blame Hannah Montana.... the hypocricy is a bit much...

:disapp:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Ok. So its ok to create a system or style of dress specifically for young women to wear while perfoming athletic routines and then deducting points from them if a judge sees more of the thing the uniform was designed to highlight... hmmm... what is the message? its ok to have your bottom showing but only if you don't get a wedgie in the process? So bizarre the things people do to their children...

Good point. Really good point. We could let them skate in ankle-long skirts - problem solved!

By the way, what's the meaning of the word "fugly"? My dictionary turns out to be utterly unreliable and now even incomplete!

kittyjake5

On the Ice
By the way, what's the meaning of the word "fugly"? My dictionary turns out to be utterly unreliable and now even incomplete![/I]

American slang - means not just ugly but really, really, ugly. That is my understanding. In my experience I have heard this word used more by the younger generation, no offense meant.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
Those costumes....are.....welll...interesting...and I will leave it at that!!

The shiny material is unflattering. She has such a great figure and it does not make her look good. He looks a bit husky in his. Kind of looks like show program outfits.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also, I'm sorry but I can't ignore the fact that few have discussed the merits of Carolina's skating... and then we wonder why young people today are so sexualized and blame Hannah Montana.... the hypocricy is a bit much...

:disapp:

Carolina's skating was discussed in great detail after her silver medal at Worlds. Her speed and huge 3F+3T were praised, but the sloppiness of her other jumps and her telegraphing were major complaints. It seems some like her skating a lot, and others don't like it---a lot.

Many did wonder why such a tall girl wore her skirts so short, and that's how the issue of her wedgie came up.

oleada

Record Breaker
I kinda like the costumes. Pink and purple are the best colors EVAH. ;)
(but S/S can do very little wrong in my eyes!). I don't like Alyona's haircut, however.

I'm intrigued at what their SP is like. You can hardly accuse this team of being unoriginal!