2008-2009 Programs by Discipline | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2008-2009 Programs by Discipline

feraina

Record Breaker
Caroline Zhang is only 15. She has plenty of time to try different styles if she wants to.

Yeah, no kidding! She just turned 15 last month, and hasn't even qualified age-wise for senior worlds yet. I can't believe that people are already complaining that she's not branching out! I mean, how many 15-year-old girls have already mastered interpreting even one type of music, as Caroline has done so comfortably with soft, lyrical pieces?

In terms of artistic presentation and musical interpretation, she has a ways to go, but that's not what she needs most to improve on right now. What she really needs is to get those triples fully rotated, get the flutz fixed, and add more speed to her skating. These are shortcomings that, if delayed, may haunt her for the rest of her skating career, whereas she can more easily improve on the presentation later on, when she's in her late teens and early 20's, and won't be able to add new technical skills easily anymore.

She states in her goals for the new season that she wants to pay more attention to the details of the choreography. That's admirable, but really, I hope that she will work on her speed and flutz more than anything else.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Caroline did 'Spanish Gypsy" for her SP last year, a departure from her balletic style which worked very well. I expect her too play to her strengths and work in her comfort zone as she takes on the challenge of seniro lady and 3/3 and flutz.
We should not forget Michelle's first year on the seniro circut... bubblegum pink dress, very simple choreography... other than the jumps she looked like anybody else.

I saw very little "spanish" or "gypsy" in Caroline's program. Yes, she branched out a little in her music, but it was the same old skating as every other program she has ever done. I was excited when I first heard that she was doing a Spanish Gypsy program, but she never really reached her potential in terms of really bringing character to the piece. I was hoping she would challenge herself again, and mabye bring a little more life and energy and personality out, but instead she seems to be crawling right back into her comfy little shell. I guess I just want to see her live up to all the hype that surrounds her is all.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I saw very little "spanish" or "gypsy" in Caroline's program. Yes, she branched out a little in her music, but it was the same old skating as every other program she has ever done. I was excited when I first heard that she was doing a Spanish Gypsy program, but she never really reached her potential in terms of really bringing character to the piece. I was hoping she would challenge herself again, and mabye bring a little more life and energy and personality out, but instead she seems to be crawling right back into her comfy little shell. I guess I just want to see her live up to all the hype that surrounds her is all.

I would recommend adjusting your expectations cosiderably then. Zhang hasn't even finished growing yet. Most of the girls/ladies who compete rarely branch out or start to explore different types of music until they have finished growing and know that the elements have settled down and will not need to be adjusted following growth spurts etc.

If it aint broke don't fix it. Zhang's style works for her, brings her good PCS and she can more or less hit th elements in the programs. Why would someone take a risk with different music they stand a chance of failing to interpret when for all she knows, next year she might grow and lose her triples and never be at the elite level again. If she qualifies through nationals for a spot, it might be her first appearence at worlds. I'd stick to tried, tested and successful for my first appearence at worlds, wouldn't you?

Ant

MKFSfan

Medalist
Yeah, no kidding! She just turned 15 last month...

In terms of artistic presentation and musical interpretation, she has a ways to go, but that's not what she needs most to improve on right now. What she really needs is to get those triples fully rotated, get the flutz fixed, and add more speed to her skating.

antmanb said:
Why would someone take a risk with different music they stand a chance of failing to interpret when for all she knows, next year she might grow and lose her triples and never be at the elite level again. If she qualifies through nationals for a spot, it might be her first appearence at worlds. I'd stick to tried, tested and successful for my first appearence at worlds, wouldn't you?

Exactly what I was thinking so thought it was worth repeating. Thank you!

lmarie086

Medalist
I agree with the quotes in the above posts. Caroline is only 15. It's very unrealistic to expect her to all of a sudden break out of what she is doing right now. Sure I would have liked to see her go a different way maybe, but she and her team are doing what is suitable for a 15 year old. As it's been said, I'd prefer to see her do what she knows best for know so that she can build up her strength and fix her jumps. After that's out of the way, then that will be the time to explore different genres.
And as it is, I do like the music she's chosen. Both are beautiful pieces.

Wrlmy

Medalist
La bayadere will be significantly different from the past programs of hers unless she chooses Act II. JMO.

feraina

Record Breaker
Sleeping Beauty could be different, too, depending on her selection. In Angela Nikodinov's 2001 LP, there is a stretch in the middle when it's quite fast and dramatic. I'd love to see what Caroline what look like skating to that kind of music.

I have no problem with these girls using Grande music of the Opera and Ballet as long as they don't pretend to be all grown up and portraying the heroines. They just don't have the right feel for it. However, if they allow their own personalities to show in these big musics, then ok.

TtonyV7

On the Ice
Hmmm. Spartacus.

I feel half and half on this one.

Fast parts, Wagner will be OK. The famous Adagio....holding my breath. Hope she's matured and proves me wrong.

Great piece of music nevertheless. One of Kwan's must under-rated programs.

lcd

Match Penalty
Spartacus... plays to her strengths - bold, confident, athletic. What would make it truly powerful though, is if she were able to choose some cuts that haven't been beaten to the ground, and maybe show some ... I don't know... vulnerability. I think the audience would really embrace her then.

lmarie086

Medalist
From fsuniverse:

Amanda Evora & Mark Ladwig
SP: Santorini by Yanni
LP: Pas de Deux by Tchaikovsky

Brooke Castile and Ben Okolski
SP: selected songs from Memoirs of a Geisha
LP: Clair de Lune

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
According to the icenetwork website:

Naomi Nari Nam & Themistocles Leftheris:love:
SP Music: "Bombay Awakes" by A.R. Rahman
FS Music: "Samson and Delilah" by Saint-Saens

inskate

On the Ice
Patrick Chan:
SP: "Roxanne" by the Police (Lori Nichol)
LP: "Cello Sonata" by Rachmaninoff (Lori Nichol)

I can't wait to see what he will do with "Roxanne". :)

Andalusia

Final Flight
Hmmm. Spartacus.

I feel half and half on this one.

Fast parts, Wagner will be OK. The famous Adagio....holding my breath. Hope she's matured and proves me wrong.

Great piece of music nevertheless. One of Kwan's must under-rated programs.

She's not using the same piece of music as Kwan did in her 2005 SP. Ashley is skating to the soundtrack of the movie (I'm assuming it's the famous one by Stanley Kubrick and starring Kirk Douglas), Kwan skated to the music from the ballet.

victoria90

On the Ice
I don't know if this has already been posted

Elena Glebova
SP: 'Songs My Mother Taught Me' by Antonin Dvorak
LP: 'Carmina Burana' by Carl Orff