2008-2009 Programs by Discipline | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2008-2009 Programs by Discipline

battersea

Spectator
Mao's new programmes

Mao's new programmes were announced like this:

SP:Claude Achille Debussy - Clair de Lune
LP:Aram Khachaturian - Masquerade

Can't wait for seeing her programmes from now!

Wrlmy

Medalist

Looks like great choices. Clair de Lune will be similar to her Nocturn program, and I'm excited about Masquerade!

TtonyV7

On the Ice
Very impress with the Claire de Lune. One would think it would be used more. Cynthia P. did a decent job with it. But Lu Chen was magical with this SP.

Masquerade... Well it's not Carmen or another opera!! Honestly, This can be a very interesting program, depending on how it is choreograph (music is heavy, so it will take some craft to make this program successful).

Krisztina Czako skated to a very nice guitar / rock version of Masquerade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1tOf8uW1A&feature=related

Elena Sokolova is another lady who used this program, was "OK" but was to heavy to her.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am SO tired of top-echelon skaters choosing overused music. "Clair de Lune" is a pretty tune but overdone, and there have been far too many "Masquerade Waltzes" recently.

I had hoped Asada would have chosen more challenging pieces.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight

Wow, no Chopin for Mao this year. That's surprising. I hope Masquerade works out for her though. It seems to deviate a little from her typical music choice.

Wow, no Chopin for Mao this year. That's surprising. I hope Masquerade works out for her though. It seems to deviate a little from her typical music choice.
There are 4 parts to Masquerade. We don't know if its the waltz part. If not the waltz part, it should be interesting.

YuNa should try one of Michelle's musics. JMO

merrybari

Final Flight
Frankly I have no problem with skaters using so-called "over-used" music. It's over-used because it works.

Good music is good music and only seems over-used to us fans. It's new to each skater that selects it. Each skater brings their own style and interpretation so everything old is new again. They have to choose music that works for them and, in this day of the CoP, music that will help them garner as many points - style and technical, as they can get. The tried and true "tunes" help them to do just that.

When I get tired of the music, I just turn the sound down and watch the skating.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I am SO tired of top-echelon skaters choosing overused music. "Clair de Lune" is a pretty tune but overdone, and there have been far too many "Masquerade Waltzes" recently.
Is it overused? I had thought it might be but I honestly can't rememeber anyone doing it in recent years - though I admit I'm not very familiar with the North American skaters so maybe some of them used it. I get the feeling it's not overused so much as memorable, i.e. the music is well-known and it sticks in people's minds when it is skated to.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Oda's new program

I'm not sure if it has been posted already.

Nobunari Oda :

- SP-Khachaturian's Masquerade
- LP-Warsaw Concerto

Medusa

Record Breaker

I had hoped Asada would have chosen more challenging pieces.

I don't know if the skate music list works properly - but if it does then Clair de Lune has been used about five or six times in the last 15 years (on an international level). I wouldn't call that overdone. The Khachachurian doesn't seem to be that used either.

Except for the fact that apparently Oda is having the same for his short.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I'm not sure if it has been posted already.

Nobunari Oda :

- SP-Khachaturian's Masquerade
- LP-Warsaw Concerto

I guess there is a great affection for Masquerade in Japan! I think it is a great choice for Oda....i still have doubts about it for Mao.

I bet that there will be 10 girls at my rink next year skating to it. :rofl:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The information listed about Oda is wrong. The "Masquerade" music is Verdi's
"Masked Ball", not Khachaturian's.

But the Khachaturian "Masquerade Waltz" was used just last season by Domnina/Shabalin and Jeremy Abbott, to name two. DomShabs won the GPF and Europeans with it. No doubt Asada is using it because her new coach, Tarasova, suggested the music to DomShabs, and probably suggested it again to Asada.

Such originality (rolleyes).

goldenpleasures

On the Ice
I don't think Masquerade Waltz will suit Mao at all - it's too robust and driving. There is plenty of unused music with more delicacy. I do wish skaters would come up with some different music instead of relying on old chestnuts that often don't suit them.

Last edited:

MissCleo

On the Ice
Well the Masquerade is a suite. Mao may do other parts of the Masquerade Sutie., not just the waltz. Or maybe not. Who knows?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I don't think Masquerade Waltz will suit Mao at all - it's too robust and driving. There is plenty of unused music with more delicacy. I do wish skaters would come up with some different music instead of relying on old chestnuts that often don't suit them.

Well the Masquerade is a suite. Mao may do other parts of the Masquerade Sutie., not just the waltz. Or maybe not. Who knows?

Right. as i mentioned in the Mao thread, I hope, (and assume) that Mao is using other pieces from the Suite. there are some very soft, lovely selections.

Wrlmy

Medalist
yuna's Lp (i Think It's Lp Anyways) Is Scheherazade. Cynthia Phaneuf's Lp Music, Which I Know, But Can't Place It At The Moment, Is A Similar Style To Last Years Lp. Cynthia's Footwork Sequence Is Nice And yuna Has Some Really Good Edgey Choreo.

Yay!

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
There are 4 parts to Masquerade. We don't know if its the waltz part. If not the waltz part, it should be interesting.

I just listened to the suite. The ''Romance'' section is lovely. I hope she does pick a section from there.

YuNa should try one of Michelle's musics. JMO

Scheherezade is a lovely piece. I'm just really glad she's not using her Ms Saigon LP anymore, I felt that it really didn't suit her style.

lilybear

Rinkside
Yuna's LP (I think it's LP anyways) is Scheherazade. Cynthia Phaneuf's LP music, which i know, but can't place it at the moment, is a similar style to last years LP. Cynthia's footwork sequence is nice and Yuna has some really good edgey choreo.

To larson,Michael, Rumberry

For 2 hours, we watched Yuna training but not talks..just looked sullen..
the program is gorgeous! The excerpt from `Tsigoineruwaizen` by Sarasate as previously being talked here
The two musics are good choice! I can't wait to see Yuna's new programs!!!:rock:

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I can see Yu-Na skating to sherezade. I do not think it is the best choice, but not the worst either .