Women are freakish about skating | Golden Skate

Women are freakish about skating

K

Kara Bear

Re: Women are freakish about skating

This is why I hate reading articles by male sports writers....ARRRRRRGGGGGG. I am not freakish!

Anyways, thanks for the article Bluechick. :D

P

Piel

<span style="color:fuchsia;font-family:verdana;font-size:large;">Sounds like a challenge ladies....</span>

:D :D :D :D :D :D

K

Kabooke

A challenge the ladies are definitely up to!:smokin:

S

Shallah.K

what is freakish about being a female skating fan?

It is not like we go to skating events and wear giant foam cheeses or other such objects on our heads nor do we go to subzero competitions wearing little more than paint in our teams colors to prove how fanatically we support our favorites. Heh. Maybe male sports writers would take skating more seriously if skating fans did act like male fans of stereotypical male sports :p

M

mathman444

Re: Namaste

Off topic -- Has anyone else besides me been curious about Shallah's signature, or does everyone else but me already know what it means?

I looked it up, and this is what I found out:

"Namaste" (nah-ma-stay): A sanskrit word from the Hindu religious tradition translated roughly as "I bow to the divine in you," or "pay homage to the inner light in all living things."

Namaste, Shallah.

Mathman:)

M

mathman444

Re: Freakish

PS. OK, now I've actually read the article. I think that the author is using the word "freakishly" in the sense of "unusual to the point of being one-of-a-kind." He is saying that other women's sports cannot attract the very large crowds of female fans that are evident in ice skating. I don't think that he is saying the figure skating fans are cheeseheads.:lol:

Mathman

S

Shallah.K

Namaste Mathman

I usually get asked at least once about my signature at every board and list I post at. I like it as it honors the divinity within everyone and also reminds me to think about that divinity every time I use it, even when I am in strong disagreement with another poster!

B

Bleuchick

Re:Names

Thanks for the description. I would also like to know the origin of Shallah.:)

Let us hope that this columnist never attended SOI last year and saw the Studz number. Or maybe he did. Or a friend did. I remember seeing some ladies going nuts about the Studz number. Never mind the drink(maybe beer :p ...it gotta be beer) spilling here and there or the bottled water almost falling out of the hand. Women screaming amd clapping hands. Are these women freaks? I say no. Beside, who had time to think about that when THE number was going on:cool:

T

tharrtell

Female pro sports

Irritating as it may be, I think the guy has a point. Sports are a business - if a particular league can't support itself, who's going to pony up the money? I can think of better causes to subsidize.

Sports are a wonderful outlet for females of all ages. They can provide a positive, self-esteem building experience that will help women in all facets of their lives. However, even if women's professional sports aren't taking off, women do have an effect on the world of sports. Look at your local 10K, traithlon, or even marathon - the ratio of female participation in these events has skyrocketed in the last 10 years and is increasing at a significantly higher percentage than male participation. We'd just rather actively participate than sit in front of the TV with a beer and chips and watch;)

S

Shallah.K

Shallah is my selfchosen nickname

I got it from a past life regression.

P

Ptichka

Re: Shallah is my selfchosen nickname

This guy totally misses the point. We do not only watch Ladies skating -- we also watch men, pairs, and dance. And -- guess what! -- those have men in them!!!

T

terisalyn

Re: freakish audiences

Ummm, grammar point here...."freakishly" is modifying "large" not "women"; the writer is saying that the statistical distribution of the audience is freakish, not that the people in the audience are freakish! Good thing too, cos I'd have to go off on him!

But most men do see women's sports as a "watered-down version" of men's sports. But I still think anything that gives women the same extra opportunities to get into college as men is a good program. And that's the main point of the Title program- it's not so much about promoting women's sports as it is about giving women the same opportunities to earn athletic scolarships as men have had for years.

P

Piel

Re: Skating yes. Basketball and soccer?

I think the point was that women support FS in a big way but do not support woman's basketball and soccer in that same way. The challenge then is that if women want to keep pro bball and soccer than it is up to woman to support these sports ...... men are not going to do it for us.

Piel

P

Ptichka

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>And that's the main point of the Title program- it's not so much about promoting women's sports as it is about giving women the same opportunities to earn athletic scolarships as men have had for years. [/quote]
I could never understand the athletic scholarship thing in the first place. If college is about education, what on earch does athletic ability have to do with it! Let's see, most athletes graduate with "physical education" degrees -- and to be a good athletic instructor one has to be much more than just physically strong. Hmmm...

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The challenge then is that if women want to keep pro bball and soccer than it is up to woman to support these sports ...... men are not going to do it for us.[/quote]
I watch the sports I like. That's why I watch FS (men AND women), gymnastics (men AND women); occationally tennis (men AND women). I never watch bball or soccer (neither men NOR women). So it would be weird if I watched a sport I don't like just because women play it.

T

tharrtell

I'm all for athletic scholarships. Yes, college is for education; however, it's fun to have a big sports program. I'm a UCLA alum, and while my education is what's allowing me to make a living right now, I was there in 1995 when we won the NCAA basketball touney. It certainly added to my college experience.

As to Title IX. Women definitely deserve the opportunity to play college sports. There are two problems with Title IX, though. (1) There is no women's sport that requires as many scholarships as football (Title IX has to do with the number of scholarships being the same as overall college male/female ratio - and most colleges have slightly more females than males.) and (2) there are two sports that actually make money - football and men's basketball. These two sports are subsidizing all others. So, once again it comes down to money. Women aren't going to pay for something that doesn't really interest them.

Now, maybe if there was a professional figure skating league ...

L

Linny

Participation in high school sports (or music programs or any number of extra-curricular activities) benefits the players in a thousand different ways that have absolutely nothing to do with skill in the chosen sport, or even going on to college sports or professional sports.

Personally, I hate the whole classification of fans by gender. There are plenty of guys in the audience as well as on the ice at every major competition... and there are plenty of gals in the audience at football, basketball, whathaveyou sports arenas. If 10,000 people attend and only 1,000 of them are women, does that mean that the ticket sellers don't want the profits made from selling those 1,000 tickets?

Anyone else see the movie "Bend it Like Beckhem" and get fired up for woman's sports of all types? Not just for the value of the game, but for all the other benefits?

Regarding Namaste: In the LivingArts video Yoga series, the host "Suzanne Deason" uses that greeting at the beginning and end of each workout.

Linny