Compulsory Low-Technical Program? | Golden Skate

Compulsory Low-Technical Program?

S

SkateFan4Life

I would like to see the ISU discard the qualifying round from the World Championships. In my opinion, this phase of the competition could be discarded and replaced with a compulsory
"low-technical" skate.

I would love to see all of the skaters who qualify for Worlds perform a three-minute routine with single and double jumps.
No triples, no quads. Just singles, doubles, a few required spins, and footwork. Let's see them show their mastery of the basic moves, jumps and spins.

In my opinion, any singles skater who qualifies to compete at Worlds should automatically qualify to skate in the entire competition. Let them ALL skate the compulsory low-technical program, the short program, and the long program.

Granted, this would entail preparing an additional program; however, given its less demanding nature, it could be done and performed with limited wear and tear on the skaters. At the very least, they would not be faced with the prospect of skating their long program twice, and perhaps blowing it the first time and not qualifying for the short program.

If the field remains at 30 skaters or so, that's the way it is. The judges may feel bleary-eyed at judging yet another phase of the competition, so why not bring in a separate judging panel to score just the "low-technical" skate?

I would absolutely LOVE to see the men and women perform routines reminiscent of the golden days of skating - with just singles and doubles.

Just my two cents, of course.

I believe we discussed this before. It was a proposal to drop the QR and institute a Compuslory Presentation Score which would limit the triples, quads and contortionist spins. This would allow the judges to concentrate on which skaters know how to skate.

Joe

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life:

Actually, not a bad idea. I too find it redundant for skaters to perform their long program twice. I miss the old days when figures counted.

NanSinger2

On the Ice
I've always thought the QR was a cheesy way to limit the participants in the final two rounds. Those skaters who worked hard enough to qualify for world teams must feel really cheated if they don't make it through. Allowing them the opportunity to gain experience from the entire competition would likely be their best chance for growth.

icenut84

Final Flight
Wouldn't that just be exactly the same as a short programme, only easier elements? It'd still be preparing 3 programmes.

What about a kind of "moves" competition, where they all have to perform certain specific elements (not to music)? They could even announce the elements at short notice, to ensure the skaters, in training, work on getting their repertoire as big as possible. For example, they get a sheet of paper saying something like (for ladies):

Double axel-double toe
Triple loop
Double flip-half loop-double salchow
Change-foot camel spin
A detailed step sequence that everyone learns (to compare ability)
LBO catch-foot spiral

etc.

What do you think? I think that could be interesting. They'd change the elements every competition.

NanSinger2

On the Ice
I just had another thought about this...in gymnastics, all the participants have to perform the same routine in the floor exercise for some competition. Wouldn't it be interesting if this was implemented for figure skating as well. I think it would be interesting to see the different styles side by side.

Any thoughts?

S

SkateFan4Life

Joe, If this topic was discussed on this board before, it was either before I starting posting/reading here, or I just did not notice the thread.

It's been a bone of contention to me for some time that the qualifying round results in a early exit for a number of well-trained
and talented figure skaters. For heaven's sakes, when you qualify to compete at the World Championships, you should be able to stick around for the entire competition!!

A compulsory routine of singles, doubles, and other "simple" moves would give the judges and the audience the opportunity to see which skaters actually have mastered the basics of good edges, line, and execution of the moves.