Takahashi splits with Morozov | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Takahashi splits with Morozov

Michelle's/Morozov's Tosca at 2004 U.S. nationals was also a masterful performance -- her eighth national title. :yes:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
[I've been biased against him since GPF 2006 in Russia, which I attended and sat pretty close to Brian during the men's LP. The way he mocked Daisuke during his skate made me want to escape from the arena. I just don't have much admiration for the athlete who mocks a fellow competitor.

ewww. I'm sorry to hear Brian would be so immature and unsportsmanlike. Since I'm liking his skating more and more, I hate to find reasons to like his persona less and less.

inskate

On the Ice
Does anyone know for sure whether any of these Japanese skaters actually decided on their own to train overseas or switch coaches without the encouragement from their federation?

I know for sure that it was Midori that suggested Mao to find another coach and they together egreed it would be the best decision. Both of them spoke about it in interviews, and Midori also mentioned it while commentating somebeody's performance (I think it was either Mao's or Kanako's).

It was also Shizuka's decision to go to Morozov before Olympics. Morozov spoke about it and admitted that initially he did not expect her to win. :D

In some other situations (Shizuka to TAT, Miki to Morozov, Nobu to Barkell) JSF were the ones who suggested (or made) the change.

But, going back to the original topic, I just found a translation of Daisuke's blog entry on his fan forum:
http://daisuke-takahashi.megabb.com...e-s-blog-was-updated-05-10-2007-t437.htm#3647
In the 3rd part he speaks about the coaching change! A short exceprt:

Many of you may already know, I decided to part from Nicolai Morozov who had coached me for three years.
I got lots of kind messages from you caring about me, but TAKAHASHI is ALRIGHT!!
(...)
This time, I made the decision by myself. And I have no regret!! I just want to go forward!!
I appreciate Mr.Morozov because he taught me many things and gave me chances to experience a lot for these three years!!
Without him, I could not raise myself up to here.
(...)
Even now I still respect him and like him so much!!
(...)
From now on, Nobunari will take lessons from Nikolai, and will come back next season. He will be stronger through a hard
work with Mr.Morozov, so I am looking forward to competing for a medal with him!! I will do my best so that I would not be
beaten by him!!

I suggest reading the entire blog entry on the forum (I didn't want to just copy all the translation here...).
But it looks like Dai made the decision on his own in order to try new things and try and become a better skater. Again, he speaks well of Nobu (many athletes could learn from those two how to be a classy rival). Good luck to him! :clap:

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
[I've been biased against him since GPF 2006 in Russia, which I attended and sat pretty close to Brian during the men's LP. The way he mocked Daisuke during his skate made me want to escape from the arena. I just don't have much admiration for the athlete who mocks a fellow competitor.

ewww. I'm sorry to hear Brian would be so immature and unsportsmanlike. Since I'm liking his skating more and more, I hate to find reasons to like his persona less and less.

I didn't see the images, but from the thousands of interviews I've seen and read of him he generally is very sportsmanlike concerning his adversaries, even though he doesn't always agree with the scores (typical French!!!). Possibly he was laughing because he made Daisuke tremble with his three quads. I'll try and find a vid.
I once saw an interview in which Brian was saying how much he admires Daisuke and what a nice person he is, so I'm a little surprised that he would laugh at him out mockery.
As for his immaturity, that is Brian's big problem, it's what led to his awful olys. Saying that he gains in maturity every season.

calica

Final Flight
Well, the problem basically is that apart from the fact that nobody to seen the images because they are not recorded, we would have to know that he was doing and that he was speaking to say if towards mockery or not of Dai-chan, without being provided with the predisposition of the person who saw it (I do not even say that the person who saw this is lie or something like that, but sometimes there are gestures that we misinterpret)
I am going to put you a case, of 2006 in the Grand Prix in Saint Petersburg. I read of the fan of other skater that Brian was very antipathetic because one night that they all were having dinner, she were waiting for other skater to give him a gift, and he was looking at her rarely.She thought that is was antipathetic and that was envious of her skater.
My friend who was there , mentioned to me that it is true that he was looking at her very much because she was very beautiful, also she was dressed and made up very elegantly, and it is very strange in France that the women go to a simple dinner as if it was "new year" party.:rofl::rofl:

Last edited:

sorcerer

Final Flight
My gutt tells me that Takahashi & Morozov split happened or at least was in process prior to Morozov taking on Oda.
According to Sports Hochi on 7th, Dai said in that press interview that he was "(very) surprised" to hear that Nobu signed a contract with Morozov, and that he talked with Morozov a week ago on the phone to tell his determination to split for this coming season.

DragonPhoenix

On the Ice
Translation of Daisuke's blog entry on his fan forum:

excerpt

Quote:

I got lots of kind messages from you caring about me, but TAKAHASHI is ALRIGHT!!
(...)
From now on, Nobunari will take lessons from Nikolai, and will come back next season. He will be stronger through a hard
work with Mr.Morozov, so I am looking forward to competing for a medal with him!! I will do my best so that I would not be
beaten by him!!

Daisuke Takahashi sounds full of fire and determination. It's great !! :agree:
What a fantastic talent he is. He's one of my top favorites. I liked Morosov's prgrams for him but I think Daisuke will be fine and I'm looking forward to see his new programs.

Go Daisuke :rock:

vlaurend

Final Flight
I know for sure that it was Midori that suggested Mao to find another coach and they together egreed it would be the best decision. Both of them spoke about it in interviews, and Midori also mentioned it while commentating somebeody's performance (I think it was either Mao's or Kanako's).

It was also Shizuka's decision to go to Morozov before Olympics. Morozov spoke about it and admitted that initially he did not expect her to win. :D

In some other situations (Shizuka to TAT, Miki to Morozov, Nobu to Barkell) JSF were the ones who suggested (or made) the change.

But, going back to the original topic, I just found a translation of Daisuke's blog entry on his fan forum:

Thank you! I followed the link on the fan forum and found Daisuke's original blog (I'm bookmarking it!). He is so positive and has such a generous and mature attitude regarding his journey in this sport. He continues to impress me as both a skater and a human being. I liked the attitude he expressed here:

事実、離れる事になりましたが、チャンピオンになるには、まだまだ他に経験しなければいけない事が沢山あるんだと思います。神様からの ワン モア レッスン ですね!

As it turns out, we are going to be going our separate ways, but I think I have a lot more things I need to experience in order to become a champion. This is just one more lesson from the gods!

Last edited:

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Thank you! I followed the link on the fan forum and found Daisuke's original blog (I'm bookmarking it!). He is so positive and has such a generous and mature attitude regarding his journey in this sport. He continues to impress me as both a skater and a human being. I liked the attitude he expressed here:

事実、離れる事になりましたが、チャンピオンになるには、まだまだ他に経験しなければいけない事が沢山あるんだと思います。神様からの ワン モア レッスン ですね!

As it turns out, we are going to be going our separate ways, but I think I have a lot more things I need to experience in order to become a champion. This is just one more lesson from the gods!

He handles the press very well, and thinks carefully before he says something, which is a very important and good quality for him to have, since the amount of media attention elite Japanese skaters get is overwhelming.

His sportsmanship and attitude reminds me very much of Michelle Kwan's. He really does have the heart of a champion.:clap:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Kenji Miyamoto choreographed Dai's Bachelorette EX this season, I think it's great!
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vnv6koSwoDM
The internet connection finally cooperated and I could watch it. Pretty cool stuff. Are you sure Miyamoto did the choreo? If so, Dai can go to him with my blessing for his competitive progarms, too :agree:

The music works well, too. I've been thinking that Bjork's It's Oh So Quiet might make a fun dance exhibition (unless it's already been used), nice to see another of her songs used to good effect.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
He handles the press very well, and thinks carefully before he says something, which is a very important and good quality for him to have, since the amount of media attention elite Japanese skaters get is overwhelming.

His sportsmanship and attitude reminds me very much of Michelle Kwan's. He really does have the heart of a champion.:clap:

I couldn't agree more. He thinks but isn't hypoctical.

discoduck

On the Ice
I really enjoy Daisuke's skating and I hope he has a great season! Hopefully he will find a coach who will help him build on what he learned from Morozov.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I also hope that he will have a great season! :agree: I look forward to seeing something new from Daisuke next season.

nippponophile

Rinkside
Dai has an arsenal of Tech elements. All he needs is a winning choreographer.
over and out.

Joe

Actually, I think all he really needs is some more confidence/mental fortitude. You can read so easily on his face how he's feeling right before he takes to the ice - he looked soooo tense before the free at 2008 Worlds, and look what happened. Dai is has more natural artistry than most, wonderful expression, all the technical elements.. a good choreographer always helps, of course (hello, Miyamoto), but in the end, as Dai acknowledges himself, it's where he is mentally and confidence-wise at competition time that determines his result. Others can help him with this, but ultimately it's up to him to be able to call on his inner strength to be able to deliver when it counts.

Having said that, I believe his decision to move on from Morozov was the best one for him. That Dai did it so graciously, without berating or blaming anyone, but instead thanking his former coach, encouraging his rival and reaffirming his own determination to grow and improve his own performances only increases my admiration for him as an athlete, and artist and a mature and thoughtful human being.