My expectations for next season regarding the ladies | Golden Skate

My expectations for next season regarding the ladies

fairly4

Medalist
Because we don't tell the skaters what we expect for them.
here is mine
Kimmie win nationals and top 4 at worlds, medal in gpf if she makes it and doesn't go to college.
Mirai win both gp events, medal atsr.gpf and medal at nationals and top 10 at worlds if makes it.
Ashley -medal at both gp events make srgpf, medal at nationals top 8 at worlds

Rachel flatt-medal at nationals, top 8 at worlds, medal both srgp events, make sr gpf. top 10 at worlds.

Caroline-medal/win both sr gp events. medal or and/or win at nationals, medal at sr gpf if makes it. top 8 at worlds if makes it.

yes-they are high-but if the skaters are that good -they can do it. the ones who go to worlds i expect both to be in top 10. and they can do it. it is up to them.

the other disciplines i have high expectations for them. but will get to them later.

inskate

On the Ice
I think it's a bit too early to predict... It depends whether or not those girls will be able to keep their jumps and/or improve them. There were many cases when skaters with great potential were stopped by the growth spurt... So I wouldn't want to put even more pressure on those young ladies. I just wish them good luck and hope they'll do well!

R.D.

Record Breaker
You're asking a LOT, especially from Nagasu and Flatt. Is it likely to happen? Depends on whether they stay healthy and can handle the pressure of being a Champion. It is not an eas thing to do. OTOH, Wagner, Zhang and Meissner will be fighting their way back to the top after the fall, so the expectations *may* not be as high for them.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Breaking Top 8 is not asking a lot for Rachael, Mirai, and Caroline. Winning both gps might be a tall order, but not impossible. Kimmie is a big question mark. She has lots of work to do, but I believe she can do it.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
My ONLY expectation right now for Caroline, Rachel, and Mirai is that they are all going to grow and who knows what the heck to expect in regards to their skating and results. Kimmie, I expect she will show up in better form than last year but I'm not making any predictions as to how the judges will reward her.

I think it's about outcome preferences. There is no basis for an open minded prediction.

The GPs will give some more info but even that one should not look to the results but to the actual skating. Improvements in any skater is a sign of determination, and that's a plus for surprises.

Joe

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I expect both Kimmie and Marai to get at least one clean 3/3. I would like to see Marai try a 3 axel... but i do not expect it. I expect Caroline and Marai to win at least on GP event each, and expect them both to make the GPF. I cannot say who should go to worlds... it is crazy that there are only towo spots, but i hope caroline can skate well at nationals (both programs). I expect Mao to give us two new beautiful programs.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Because we don't tell the skaters what we expect for them.
here is mine
Kimmie win nationals and top 4 at worlds, medal in gpf if she makes it and doesn't go to college.
Mirai win both gp events, medal atsr.gpf and medal at nationals and top 10 at worlds if makes it.
Ashley -medal at both gp events make srgpf, medal at nationals top 8 at worlds

Rachel flatt-medal at nationals, top 8 at worlds, medal both srgp events, make sr gpf. top 10 at worlds.

Caroline-medal/win both sr gp events. medal or and/or win at nationals, medal at sr gpf if makes it. top 8 at worlds if makes it.

yes-they are high-but if the skaters are that good -they can do it. the ones who go to worlds i expect both to be in top 10. and they can do it. it is up to them.

the other disciplines i have high expectations for them. but will get to them later.

You expect them ALL to win a medal at Nationals? But there are only 3 medals!

And all 5 can't possibly win two GP events, as there are only 6 events. It's also MAJORLY unlikely that 5 of them could make the GPF.

And only two of them can possibly make Worlds.

R.D.

Record Breaker
One should look to the new ladies coming up to (hopefully) lead the US in the future. Meissner even at her best does not seem to match up all that well against the best in the World.

Chuck- there are actually 4 medals if you count the "4th place medal" they hand out.

mskater93

Record Breaker
But there were five ladies mentioned in the previous post, and while a pewter medal is nice, there is no fifth place medal.

fairly4

Medalist
first of all, i know they all can't win medals at nationals. that is a given.
but they all have the possibilty of medaling at nationals if they ALL want it bad enough. i know two of them will be left out of the medals at nationals and 3 will be left out of worlds.
but i put them all in at medaling because they all possibly can medal and therefore the top two will go to worlds (probably). so that is why is put them all for medals at nationals and put them in the top 8 at worlds.
the reason why is because of year end rankings -just what they did for the skating season-2006/2007 and 2007/2008
caroline zhang 7th score wise for 2006/2007 and was 5th in the rankings 2007=2008--not the 3years rankings the isu shows but the score they got for what they did doing the year. caroline in 2006/2007 winning jr world, jgpf and her two jpgevents and 2008 second in cup of china, third in skate america, 4th in gpf and 2nd wrld jr.
rachel flatt 9th in 2007-2008 rankings
kimmie 8th in 2007-2008 rankings
mirai 11th in 2007-2008 year end rankings.
caroline zhang had 7th highest score, rachel flatt had 8th highest score this year.
yes it is possible they can finish in top 8.
i can dream about the us girls finishing 4th and 5th at worlds next year with a possiblity of a medal.
the reason why it is high is because we as fans say one thing,b ut inwardly expect another.
if we want the younger skaters to medal at the olympics in 2010 we better have high expectations for them now. so they can prepare mentally for what we want and expect.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Can we please at least get through regionals and sectionals before we start posting expectations for Nationals and beyond? Is that such an unrealistic thing to ask?:sheesh:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can we please at least get through regionals and sectionals before we start posting expectations for Nationals and beyond? Is that such an unrealistic thing to ask?:sheesh:

Wagner, Zhang, Nagasu and Flatt don't have to do Regionals and Sectionals, since they finished in the top 5 at 2008 Nationals. Meissner will probably be at Skate America, so she won't have to do Regionals. There is no doubt in my mind that if Meissner competes at Sectionals, she will qualify for Nationals.

fairly4

Medalist
if those are unrealistic expectations., then you don't have high hopes for the younger generation.or any of the us "women".
after all michelle finished 8th ins her first, sarah 7th, sasha 4th,
the younger generation knows the cop better than their predecessors. also,
they seem to fight for it more.
they caroline made it to the gpf her first year, i dont see why mira, or rachel can't either. unless of course they were give cop scores they shouldn't have received in juniors (too high) not marked off for their mistakes.
if we want them to compete internationally -we as fans better have high ones.
if like rachel in ifsmagazine stated she hoped to win an ogm medal in 2010.if she has high expectations for herself than so should we.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
if like rachel in ifsmagazine stated she hoped to win an ogm medal in 2010.if she has high expectations for herself than so should we.

There's a BIG difference between "hoping" and "expecting". Rachael does not expect to win an Olympic medal, she hopes she will be able to win one.

Most elite skaters have winning an Olympic medal as a goal, but no one expects all of them to meet that goal---except fairly4, of course. :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I didn't know rachel said she wanted to be ogm. anyway, expectation or not, that's a pretty high aspiration, and of course it will cause her to push herself as hard as she can (one hopes, not too hard). But I dunno if she can be the next Lipinski *shrugs*

Wrlmy

Medalist
I believe Rachael is already a contender for OGM. That is if she makes the olympic team of course.

Nigel

On the Ice
I didn't know rachel said she wanted to be ogm. anyway, expectation or not, that's a pretty high aspiration, and of course it will cause her to push herself as hard as she can (one hopes, not too hard). But I dunno if she can be the next Lipinski *shrugs*

Let's let Rachael just be Rachael. :)

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Wagner, Zhang, Nagasu and Flatt don't have to do Regionals and Sectionals, since they finished in the top 5 at 2008 Nationals. Meissner will probably be at Skate America, so she won't have to do Regionals. There is no doubt in my mind that if Meissner competes at Sectionals, she will qualify for Nationals.

I realize that, but IMO, it's unrealistic to start predicting for Nats, etc when we don't know the whole field, what kind of physical condition everyone will be in, etc.

Last edited: