Sasha Cohen quote in IFS | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen quote in IFS

NanSinger2

On the Ice
On page 54 there is a quote:

"Even though two of major goals I didn't meet -- in terms of placement and performance -- this season has taught me to look at my skating instead of looking at the competition and what other people are doing. I've learned to focus on just enjoying myself out there, not even worrying about having to skate perfect. I'm taking it one step at a time."

I really think if she is able to apply this philosophy we will see some interesting things this season.

The same philosophy has been working for Michelle, why not for Sasha, too? This may be the year she will put it all together and enjoy her skating. She has nothing to lose but much to win.

Joe

lavender

Record Breaker
I have a feeling that she may get it together. I just don't know what placement yet. When people count ya out (and people are counting Sasha out) then that's when they show ya. I still don't know if she will be known for consistency but I think she works too hard for it not to happen some day.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I love Sasha's skating, and would be thrilled if she did pull it together, but I am not sure that saying the right things actually translates into on-the-ice results.

NanSinger2

On the Ice
lavender said:
I have a feeling that she may get it together. I just don't know what placement yet. When people count ya out (and people are counting Sasha out) then that's when they show ya. I still don't know if she will be known for consistency but I think she works too hard for it not to happen some day.

ITA, I am concerned about her consistency as well. It's very frustrating when nerves get the best of a skater.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
People often learn from their mistakes, and I am sure Sasha has had lots of time to reflect on where she went wrong. Let's hope she really applies this new outlook to her skating. She is a lovely skater and inspiring to watch. I wish her the best this season.

toutestgrace

Rinkside
I think she means it. Sasha has invested too much in this sport to throw it all away with nerves. Besides, she's at that age when what others do doesn't matter so much and you start to stand back and take a good look at why you're doing what you're doing in life. Hope it works for her.

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
I agree with those who think Sasha will be able to put this philosophy to use next season. I think her remark shows maturity - she's only a few months older than me, and I can't imagine going out there and skating under so much pressure and scrutiny. I think if she really does slow down a bit and take it one step at a time, she'll be more incredible than she already is (can you tell I'm a big Sasha fan? lol).

Linny

Final Flight
Sasha comments

Sasha's skating isn't my favorite... but I wish all the best for her. Wouldn't it be wonderful to see her skate up to her potential?
Linny

qoo

Rinkside
I think her skating style and everthing is very exciting to watch. Good luck to her with this new philosophy!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have decided that Sasha is my favorite female skater so I will be watching her closely this year and I hope for the best for her.

Here are some comments and opinions I have and would like your comments on these:

1. First of all, I think that last year was such a transition period for Sasha and Tatiana. In that regard, I think, that Sasha did an excellent job last year.

2. I guess I don't understand why people keep pointing their fingers at Sasha and commenting on whether she can keep her focus. I have watched many senior lady skaters and none of them always had perfect programs. Why do these comments continue to come up about Sasha's skating. BTW, I, too would like to see her have a flawless program but I haven't seen many others do them either. I really think she is trying to be flawless but what skater really is?

Dee

berthes ghost

Final Flight
"I have watched many senior lady skaters and none of them always had perfect programs. Why do these comments continue to come up about Sasha's skating. BTW, I, too would like to see her have a flawless program but I haven't seen many others do them either. I really think she is trying to be flawless but what skater really is?"

Perhaps you should watch more closely.

Sure, no skater is perfect always, but there are a lot of elite skaters who are perfect often or even sometimes. Sasha is NEVER perfect. By perfect, I mean clean, no falls.

Sure, there are plenty of skaters who fall during every single program too, but they aren't hyped up all over the place as the greatest thing since indoor plumbing.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Dee,

I think reasons people point the figer to Sasha for her flaw program is that Sasha she said herself she wants to be the BEST in the world, not just one of the elite senior skater. While with Michelle, Irina and now you may add Soklova, Victoria and some Japanese ladies still competing she HAS TO SKATING CLEAN TO WIN. You are not expecting all of them fault in one competetion (lets say worlds, where most likely they will all be there) to allow Sasha to win with a flawed program.

I like Sasha's skating style too. But I'm a perfectionist myself. Onece she made fall in her program. That proram ruined for me. To me, I don't care how many 3/3, quads, or single triples a skater can landed in his/her program. Only when you can skate clean first, then the 3/3 and Quads come into play. And even with big improvement she made last season on her edges, her basics still can't copare with IS, MK, Fummie, Arakawa, Victoria, etc.

That said, I definitely think she'll come back much improved this season with Tarosava.

S

SkateFan4Life

I guess this type of quote will be the focus on the Sasha Cohen Up Close and Personal segment for the upcoming season. "I'm just focusing on me and not worrying about what anybody else does." How many other skaters have said the same thing when they were asked to assess their competitive plans? Let's see - I can think of at least a dozen who have pretty much stated the same thing.

Jill Trenary's standard quote was something like, "I'm skating for myself. I don't even watch the other girls. I can only control what I do, so I don't waste my time worrying about trying to match anybody else, jump for jump." Of course, Jill had to compete against the likes of Midori Ito, Kristi Yamaguchi, and Tonya Harding - skaters who all had strong triple lutz, triple loop, and Ito/Harding - triple axels. Trenary's most difficult jump was a triple flip, and that was pretty shaky at best. Frankly, she should have been a little concerned about what the other women were doing, technically. Oh, well!

Michelle Kwan stated on one UCAP segment, "When I go to practice, I blot out everything. It's just me and the ice. I don't worry about what anybody else is doing."

While I certainly wish Sasha the best, let's not give her credit for original thought. She's just following the crowd with this mindset.
It's a good mindset, mind you, so hopefully it will enable her to skate the kind of brilliant programs she's capable of skating.

Dee, here's what I think about your two questions.

1. I think that Sasha had a super year last year. She won 2 Grand Prix events and the Grand Prix Final, and she was definitely in the mix at Worlds, holding her own against the best skaters in the world. Her Worlds qualifying LP was clean and included a triple-triple and seven triples in all.

2. I think the critics are wrong who say that Sasha's problems are due to lack of focus and concertration. I think, on the contrary, that she is very focused during her performances. Instead, I agree with MZheng that the problem is in her basic edge-work and stroking skills.

Sasha is certainly fun to watch. From the ankles up she might be the best skater in the world. But the sport of competitive figure skating is judged from the ankles down.

Mathman