Readers' Choice -- Which U.S. skater had the best season? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Readers' Choice -- Which U.S. skater had the best season?

Angelluv

Rinkside
Apparently, it doesn't matter whether Johnny had the best season or not. His fans are like Kwanfans. :yes::yes::yes:

Joe

Well, I don't know if I'd agree with that. I wouldn't necessarily place all of Johnny's fans in one little tupper wear bowl, or Kwan fans for that matter. What is my opinion is that he had an amazing season. Most agree that Johnny found an inspiration and went with it and most would not argue against the fact that he had improved and instrinsically motivated himself after a most horrible season last year. I think this award can be won by any one on that list. It's all a matter of opinion. Wouldn't it be a shame if we all had the same opinion. ;)

discoduck

On the Ice
Apparently, it doesn't matter whether Johnny had the best season or not. His fans are like Kwanfans. :yes::yes::yes:

Joe

I resent your implication. First of all, if I think Johnny had the best season, that is my right as the last time I checked, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I respect yours, you should respect mine.

Labeling people who are willing to stand up for what they think as some sort of delusional uberfan (which is the way I took what you are saying, forgive me if that wasn't your intent) is wrong.

Kasey

Medalist

Joe

Apparently, it doesn't matter how people explain their preferences and choices in this situation. As per usual, people who don't agree with you are wrong. Nice, from a moderator, and the "forum diplomat".

psycho

On the Ice
I don't understand why people are fighting over this. You don't need to convince anyone of why your choice is the right one, all you need to do is vote. Personally, I do not trust anything USFSA related, so I am not even going to bother to vote. If I were to vote, I'd vote for Johnny because I love him and I was very proud of him this year when he managed to pull himself together and kick ***. Do I think that Flatt and Mirai deserve the award too?Yeah, they probably do, but I am not a ladiezzzz fan so I didn't even think of them.

This is just an award that does not mean much. I am not going to lose sleep over it, and neither will the athletes. It's not like money is being handed out! LOL This is just a glorified popularity contest, so who cares?!:laugh:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Labeling people who are willing to stand up for what they think as some sort of delusional uberfan (which is the way I took what you are saying, forgive me if that wasn't your intent) is wrong.

Outing yourself as a Johnny Fan kind of kills any attempt of being / appearing objective or sensible whenever it's about Johnny or men's skating. You can try and try and try - your post will always be interpretated as emotional / delusional / illogical / fangirly. Your opinion isn't your opinion, it's just fangirly praising. Any kind of analysis is just a delusional fantasy. Johnny Fans cannot think, we only have vague emotions and uncontrolled unfounded illogical outbursts.

Did I mention that I voted for Johnny?

And imagine that (not that you will believe me) - I considered other skaters. I thought about Adam Rippon, Rachel Flatt and Mirai Nagasu.
But what are the criteria for this kind of award? Number of clean skates? Number of Gold medals? Number of medals? Technical achievements? Artistry? Individualism? Creativity? Personality? Development over the years? "Wow-factor" in her / his personal history? Fairy-tale-factor? Work ethic?

Most of these factors are so subjective - of course we can add all the points together the skater got during the season, we can calculate the average score for the short program and the long program, we can count the number of falls, underrotations and step-outs. We can also take a look at the step sequences and spin levels - who maxed out the system the most?

Most of us don't have reasons like average numbers and scores - the reasons are mostly subjective. We go for style ("Zhang is so lyrical"), or fairy tale ("Nobody expected Rachael to win - but she did!"), or personality ("Mirai is so refreshing and cute"). I mean that's why it's the Reader's Choice award - because the objective (more or less :cool:) judging and awarding is done by the judges.

Here is why everyone should vote for Beatrisa Liang, as I did. :)

The first reason is that my other favorite, Alissa Czisny, did not have a very good year. :cry: So that leaves Bebe.

Second, Bebe set her goal (it's on her USFS bio page) both in the 2006-07 season and last year, to make the world team. At 2007 Nationals she got her highest finish ever (4th) and just missed her goal.

But at 2008 Nationals she skated great and was the top finisher in the "ladies over 16" category -- so that is essentially equivalent to being national senior ladies champion. :biggrin: At worlds she achieved her season best score when it counted the most. She didn't make the podium, but she gave a strong accounting of herself in both the short and long programs, doing the U.S.A proud. :clap:

So there you go! :)

antmanb

Record Breaker

Joe

I suspect a lot of the voting in this depends on whether people have a bias for a particular discipline and then it's just down to who they like the most. Not unlike the phone in cheesefests. It's a popularity contest.

Ant

I suspect a lot of the voting in this depends on whether people have a bias for a particular discipline and then it's just down to who they like the most. Not unlike the phone in cheesefests. It's a popularity contest. Ant
Exactly, it's all a bunch of fluff.

All the same, I do agree Johnny has had his best season in quite awhile not having missed any busses, and not saying too too much on his website. But then so many others had their individual best seasons also.
Joe

Brandi_DeLain

On the Ice
Joe

Your true colors are really showing here.

Skating fans have good reason to be proud of Johnny this season. His results were crappy last year (by his standards) and he made big-time changes to make sure that didn't happen again. He won both of his GP events, tied with Evan at US Nats (skating in the pressure position and rocking the house), and won bronze at Worlds. Last season and this season, he was like two different skaters. It is ridiculous and "lame" to browbeat people who feel that Johnny should be considered for this award just because you prefer someone else.

As much as uber-lovers are annoying, so are uber-haters. I'm not saying you fit in that last category, but you're approaching it with your mean-spirited digs (see below).

...I do agree Johnny has had his best season in quite awhile not having missed any busses, and not saying too too much on his website.
Joe

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm with Mathman.

I voted for Bebe! How nice it was that she made the most of her chance to compete at Worlds. :love:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
As Weir was the only US-medalist at 2008 Worlds, it is very understandable that he deservedly gets lots of votes. His season started really well as he won two GP gold medals, but he was not on the podium at GPF and although he won the bronze at Worlds, he was only 5th in the freeskate. Weir´s tendency in a major competition to skate the short programme well and drop in the freeskate, seems to continue unfortunately. Maybe there will be a change next season?

Brandi_DeLain

On the Ice
As Weir was the only US-medalist at 2008 Worlds, it is very understandable that he deservedly gets lots of votes. His season started really well as he won two GP gold medals, but he was not on the podium at GPF and although he won the bronze at Worlds, he was only 5th in the freeskate.

Johnny wasn't 100% at GPF. His landing foot was acting up (as mentioned by Galina, but not Johnny).

As far as Worlds is concerned, nobody here is saying that Johnny was perfect at Worlds. He admitted that he was nervous and that he skated conservatively. The bottom line is this . . . he stood up under enormous pressure when other top contenders did not (Takahashi, Lambiel, Verner). That should count for something, even if you don't like him for whatever reason. The fact that most people didn't think he had a chance in hell to podium makes it even more impressive that he did.

You mention quite frequently that he placed 5th in the FS at Worlds. Without the questionable UR call on his quad, he would've placed 3rd in the FS. I've seen way worse quads ratified, so that was bad luck for him to get such a nit-picky caller.

Weir´s tendency in a major competition to skate the short programme well and drop in the freeskate, seems to continue unfortunately. Maybe there will be a change next season?

In both of Johnny's GP events this year (CoC & CoR) he placed 2nd in the SP. He came from behind to win both of those events. Also, his FS at US Nats brought the house down. Why is it so hard for some people to give credit where it is due?

Weir will get the votes of the majority for the popularity contest. Very few posters have talked seriously about this award. Just about Johnny (sigh....).
Not unlike Kwan winning the last of the Marshall's cheesefests.

Joe

taylorfax

On the Ice
Very few posters have talked seriously about this award. Just about Johnny (sigh....).
lol If you talk about Johnny, you can't be taken seriously, lol, you must be joking around..

For real, calling other people lame just because you can't stand that they disagree with you?... You have to agree that it's pretty childish, right? ;)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
In both of Johnny's GP events this year (CoC & CoR) he placed 2nd in the SP. He came from behind to win both of those events. Also, his FS at US Nats brought the house down. Why is it so hard for some people to give credit where it is due?

Above I was speaking of major events = Worlds or Olympics, where Weir seems to drop in the freeskate. Well, I gave credit for him winning the gold medal in two GP events, that was good. Being a second in sp and to win a competition is great, but being second in sp and dropping into 5th in fs (although managing to get a bronze medal), is not that great, in my opinion. I´m one of them who thought that it is not possible for him to win a medal at Worlds, but I was wrong and as a fan of his skating I´m happy for his medal, but not for his freeskate performance.

Last edited:
lol If you talk about Johnny, you can't be taken seriously, lol, you must be joking around..

For real, calling other people lame just because you can't stand that they disagree with you?... You have to agree that it's pretty childish, right? ;)
Absolutely. How do you think I keep young except by imitating other childishness.

Joe

btw. I have to judge whether the 'others' are voting for their favorites or whether for actual skating reasons.

I think everyone is quite serious here. :)

I think I am stepping on sacred ground.

Last edited by a moderator:

discoduck

On the Ice
btw. I have to judge whether the 'others' are voting for their favorites or whether for actual skating reasons.

And why exactly do you feel the need to determine why others are voting? Is it so wrong to combine a little of both?