Lambiel to be coached by Petrenko | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Lambiel to be coached by Petrenko

Am I reading correctly 9 am to 4 pm?

That's pretty much the entire business day. So no other skater -- be it Johnny Weir or Jane Doe -- would be allowed to set foot on the ice during daytime hours? And Stephane would train 7 hours per day without a break?

Susan
It does seem wild. I don't even think it is in favor of Lambiel to practice on l day that many hours.

What I think wherever this report came from, it was in error or misquoted. I would think he will train some hours between 9 to 4.

Joe

decker

On the Ice
LOL, and what exactly will Johnny be doing from 9 am to 4 pm? :laugh:

And are Viktor and Galina going to coach Stephane for 7 hours and then Johnny for 3 to 4 (I believe that's his usual schedule)? Rather a long work day!

And what about the rink? I honestly don't know since I'm not a skater myself. Would one need to be the Bill Gates of figure skating to pay for so many hours of private ice time? Seems the rink would have to insist on ginormous fees if unable to charge even a single other person for ice time for such a large portion of the day.

Susan

Medusa

Record Breaker
What I think wherever this report came from, it was in error or misquoted. I would think he will train some hours between 9 to 4.

Well, Stéphane actually said that Là jusqu'à 4 heures j'ai la glace pour moi tout seule. - he didn't say that he would use all these hours but that he could schedule his training somewhere between these hours without being disrupted.

momjudi

On the Ice
The rink where Johnny and (soon) Stephan train has two rinks, one is set up for figure skating and one for hockey. My guess is that Stephan and Johnny's schedules will be set so as one leaves the ice the other arrives and vice versa. Johnny has said he skates in the morning, takes a break for a few hours and then returns for another session in the afternoon. I suspect Stephan will be on the ice while Johnny is taking his first break and after Johnny leaves for the day Stephan will skate his last session. That way each has the undivided attention of the coaches.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm totally in sympathy with the athletes who look elsewhere for coaching when they have an established relationship with a coach and that coach (or coaches) take on a strong rival.

I'm glad that some athletes find that they can thrive in these conditions, but I completely understand if they feel they cannot.

Now, Johnny doesn't at all seem to be complaining, and that's very commendable. But I'm completely in the camp that says he deserved the courtesy of advance notification. Did his coaches have to ask his permission? By no means. But telling him in advance seems a simple and (I would have said) required courtesy.

I can't help but think that Galina and Viktor's attentions will be divided, or even that preference may be given to Stephane, since he is the "new" big gun for them. A lot of skating is politics, and I had thought it was really savvy of Johnny to go with this coaching team, but now I'm not so sure.

But again, Johnny's not reacting negatively -- good for him. I personally wouldn't like it. But maybe he can learn from Stephane, and vice versa -- but, Johnny, please don't pick up Stephane's hunched posture on the ice!

I really thought Stephane was ready to retire. Maybe the razzmatazz experience of living in America will give him new life -- if he's not tired out from skating from 9 to 4 daily.

Medusa

Record Breaker
But again, Johnny's not reacting negatively -- good for him. I personally wouldn't like it. But maybe he can learn from Stephane, and vice versa -- but, Johnny, please don't pick up Stephane's hunched posture on the ice!

Hmm. Hunched? There are some skaters' postures I would call that (e.g. Ando and Oda) - but Stéphane doesn't have a "hunched" posture in my opinion. He has the ability to express the music with his entire body (those step sequences are just to die for...), he certainly doesn't have the classical elegant balletic line of Curry (or Weir for that matter), but I would never call his posture "hunched".

antmanb

Record Breaker
Hmm. Hunched? There are some skaters' postures I would call that (e.g. Ando and Oda) - but Stéphane doesn't have a "hunched" posture in my opinion. He has the ability to express the music with his entire body (those step sequences are just to die for...), he certainly doesn't have the classical elegant balletic line of Curry (or Weir for that matter), but I would never call his posture "hunched".

I would agree with you about Stephane's posture except in his jumps. Especially on the quad toe he hunches and rounds his shoulders and brings his arms up quite high. His axel technique is also similar in posture and he oftne hunches forward on sal and loop. Maybe that is what the original poster is referring to?

Ant

What happend to all the praise he was getting for being honest and speaking out his mind? Surely, he has some comments on this. But mums the word nowadays. Am I correct?

Joe

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
What happend to all the praise he was getting for being honest and speaking out his mind? Surely, he has some comments on this. But mums the word nowadays. Am I correct?

Joe

No, you're not, not if Johnny genuinely sees that he might gain from having Lambiel in the same "stable" with him. Besides, Johnny never directed negativity at coaches, did he? I don't remember him ever badmouthing or blaming Priscilla for anything, and they had an amicable split that was a model of decorum and tranquility.

As to Stephane's posture, yes, I meant on the jumps, and also sometimes during other parts of his skating. To me, he doesn't break forward in his torso so much as he does seem to round or hunch his shoulders.

I see Johnny today as keeping very numb on anything today. Gone are the days when he was frank and honest so to speak. Actually, I prefer the way he is now.

I'll have a look at Lambiel's jumps to see if he is bending at the waist. I never noticed that before. As far a bending over in cross overs, I think the King and Queen of that style is Boitano and Ando, although many more do that.

Joe

psycho

On the Ice
I see Johnny today as keeping very numb on anything today. Gone are the days when he was frank and honest so to speak. Actually, I prefer the way he is now.

Then you, dear, have not been reading the right articles. ;)