Favorite Black and White Movies | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Favorite Black and White Movies

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
In addition to the wonderful movies listed, let me add, "The Good Earth", "Dragon Seed" , and "Lilies of the Field".....42

mpal2

Final Flight
Skatecynic,

I totally forgot about Stalag 17. Great movie which also led to IMO a pretty funny sitcom.

maxell1313

Rinkside
Casablanca
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
The Maltese Falcon
Swing Time (the greatest Fred and Ginger movie ever, IMO)

"Eraserhead," directed by the man who directed another great B/W film, "The Elephant Man," David Lynch.

Mike79: I couldn't agree more about Antonioni's "L'Avventura." I also love his "La Notte." But then you can take any of the Italian new wave directors -- Visconte, Rossellini, Fellini -- and you're going to see magnificent stuff. "La Dolce Vita" is still a phenomenon even today, IMO.

I'm not a fan of Woody Allen movies generally, but I must say that at least in terms of its cinematography and the Gershwin music, "Manhattan" is almost more quintessentially Manhattan than the real thing.

From France I'll mention "Breathless" and "Jules et Jim." Don'tcha just want to be Jean Moreau laughing in freeze frame on the beach with two men in love with her? Well, maybe not you, lol.

From Germany, "M" and "The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari." Also directed by Fritz Lang once he came to the US, "Metropolis."

And I totally agree with everybody about "Arsenic and Old Lace." I saw it just recently but I first remember seeing as a kid with my dad watching late-night Saturday movies. When Raymond Massey tries to carry one of the dead guys down the stairs to the basement and after he closes the door behind him all you hear is him and the body crashing down stairs, my dad and I laughed so hard when I was kid we were crying. And I laughed my guts out again at that part when I saw it just recently. With Cary Grant, there has never been a film IMO that has had someone so gorgeous and so hilarious. Paul Newman came close in the nonB/W "Cool Hand Luke," but that was black comedy, not slapstick. You don't see many of the most handsome men in the world doing great slapstick.

Two other great Cary Grant-Katherine Hepburn films are "Holiday" and the great "The Philadelphia Story." Cary Grant is also very funny in "Holiday."

And "All About Eve" is one of the great films of all time, in my book. Every line and every shot in that movie is stellar -- and some are quite filthy if you know what to listen for, he-he. I think it was Joseph Mankewitz (sp?) who wrote the screenplay and he demanded that the actors read every line of the script exactly as written, yet the dialogue sounds so spontaneous, even the beginning narration spoken by George Saunders. I heard Bette Davis say that monologue once as part of a staged interview to promote the film. It just sounded like Bette Davis talking about this woman named Eve..."Eve...evil Eve." Love it, love it, love it. Great thread. Love old movies. My TV is being fixed so I'm going through movie withdrawal!
Rgirl

Last edited:

SkateCynic

Rinkside
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but Young Frankenstein - one of the funniest Mel Brooks films ever!!

Judgement at Nuremberg - Long, and intense

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
I grew up in front of the television watching black and white moves on Sunday afternoon and I know and love most of what I've seen posted here. Don't forget the "Thin Man" movies with William Powell and Myrna Loy.

Nan

Hey Cynic! You're so right about "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf?" Mike Nichols was like 12 when he directed that and he knew it HAD to be in B&W. Liz Taylor gives Boris Karloff a run for his money as "Best Movie Monster." If you're into movies, IMO people who are young enough to have never known Taylor as an actress should definitely rent "Virginia Wolf?" "Father of the Bride," "A Place in the Sun," "Giant," and "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" (the last two are color) to see a range of Taylor's best acting. She won her first Oscar for "Butterfield 8," a role and film she hated when she should have won it for "Cat." Her husband, Mike Todd, was killed in plane crash while she was making "Cat" and I think the suppression of what must of been insufferable grief gives that performance a desperate strength and passion that to me is breathtaking. So glad you mentioned it.

And speaking of "Young Frankenstein," "Bride of Frankenstein" is pretty funny, too, I think. I know the director, James Whale, always intended it to be a hidden comedy. In any case, "Bride" is the best of the original "Frankenstein"movies, one of those situations where the sequel is better than the original. But between "Bride of Frankenstein" and "Young Frankenstein," unfortunately all the "Frankenstein" movies suck.

Which reminds me of the original "Dracula." A great double rental feature I think is "Dracula" and another favorite B&W, "Ed Wood." To see Bela Lugosi as Dracula and then watch Martin Landau play Bela Lugosi in his last years when he was down and out and addicted to morphine is great stuff. Not to mention Johnny Depp in girdle and a bra. Love that guy.
Rgirl

Pookie

Final Flight
I also love the Thin Man movies. I watched "Love Crazy" a couple of days ago with William Powell and Myrna Loy. It's a really good old movie too.
A couple of others I thought of:

Libeled Lady with William Powell, Myrna Loy, Spencer Tracy and Jean Harlow is a great movie.

Topper with Cary Grant is fun to watch.

4dogknight

Final Flight
I've tried to list my favorites, in year order, that have not already been mentioned.

The Kid – 1921 – Charles Chaplin
The Battleship Potemkin - 1925 -
The Cocoanuts – 1929 – The Marx Brothers
Animal Crackers – 1930 - The Marx Brothers
City Lights -1931 – Charlie Chaplin
Horse Feathers – 1932 - The Marx Brothers
42nd Street – 1933 – Ruby Keeler
Duck Soup – 1933 - The Marx Brothers
The Merry Widow – 1934 – Maurice Chevalier, Jeanette MacDonald
The 39 Steps – 1935 – Robert Donat
Mutiny on the Bounty -1935 - Clark Gable, Charles Laughton
Naughty Marietta – 1935 - Nelson Eddy, Jeanette MacDonald
A Night At The Opera – 1935 - The Marx Brothers
Tale of Two Cities – 1935 – Ronald Coleman
My Man Godfrey – 1936 – William Powell
The Great Zigfield – 1936 – William Powell
Rose-Marie – 1936 – Nelson Eddy, Jeanette MacDonald
San Francisco - 1936 – Clark Gable, Jeanette MacDonald
A Day At The Races – 1937 - The Marx Brothers
Maytime – 1937 – Nelson Eddy, Jeanette MacDonald
Stella Dallas – 1937 – Barbara Stanwyck
The Prisoner of Zenda – 1937 – Ronald Coleman
The Girl of the Golden West – 1938 - Nelson Eddy, Jeanette MacDonald
Room Service – 1938 - The Marx Brothers
At The Circus – 1939 - The Marx Brothers
Goodbye Mr Chips- 1939 – Robert Donat
The Women – 1939 - Norma Shearer
Go West – 1940 - The Marx Brothers
Santa Fe Trail – 1940 – Errol Flynn
The Big Store – 1941 - The Marx Brothers
The Maltese Falcon – 1941 – Humphrey Bogart
Yankee Doodle Dandy – 1942 – James Cagney
Gaslight -1944 – Ingrid Bergman, Charles Boyer
Going My Way – 1944 - Bing Crosby
Mildred Pierce – 1945 - Joan Crawford
A Night in Casablanca – 1946 - The Marx Brothers
Notorious – 1946 – Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman
Key Largo – 1948 – Humphrey Bogart
Roshomon -1950 – Toshiro Mifune (See The Outrage 1964)
Roman Holiday - 1953 - Gregory Peck, Audrey Hepburn
The Man With The Golden Arm – 1955 – Frank Sinatra
Night of the Hunter – 1955 - Robert Mitchum
Some Like It Hot – 1959 – Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon, Marilyn Monroe
The Apartment – 1960 – Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine
One Two Three – 1961 – James Cagney
Cape Fear – 1962 – Gregory Peck, Robert Mitchum
The Manchurian Candidate – 1962 - Frank Sinatra, Laurence Harvey
The Outrage – 1964 – Paul Newman (See Roshomon – 1950)
Of Human Bondage – 1964 – Laurence Harvey, Kim Novak

"These are a few of my favorite things"
4dk

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Reading the titles of the movies listed in this thread makes me want to head to the closest "Blockbuster" video store and rent a stack of movies for the weekend.............42

AMAZING list, 4DK! I can't believe I didn't think to post "Roshomon," one of my all-time favorite movies, with absolutely gorgeous cinematography and great performances by the entire cast--a real classic; "Some Like It Hot," one of the funniest movies of all time, IMO, with a sparkling B&W Monroe who looks lit from within in some scenes; and "Night of the Hunter," one of the most eerily beautiful B&W films ever, way ahead of its time, with Robert Mitchum giving one of the great villian performances in film history. Such a shame that "Night of the Hunter" was not appreciated by audiences or critics at the time it was released. It was so derided that its director, the great actor Charles Laughton, never directed another film. It's not a well-known movie but definitely a must-see. I challenge anyone who sees it to ever forget a certain image of Shelley Winters (4DK, I'm sure you know the one I mean). Thanks for reminding us, 4DK, of movies such as "Night of the Hunter" and all the other great films on your list. Like Show, it makes me want to see them all right now!
Rgirl

SkateCynic

Rinkside
...Add Dr. Strangelove to the list....Peter Sellers in a classic...

Has anyone mentioned 'On the Waterfront'? One of Brando's best, IMO...

Rgirl, ITA about the original monster movies. You just gotta love Boris, Bela, and Elsa Lancaster

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Oh my gosh, how could we forget the original "King Kong", "The Creature From The Black Lagoon", and all the marvelous "Godzilla" movies from Japan..............42

merfsk8s

Rinkside
"It Happened One Night" - just divine. Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert - doesn't get much better than that!

"Adam's Rib" - Katherine Hepburn was just the greatest! Pair her with Spencer Tracy and she's even better!

"Little Women" w/Hepburn

"Jezebel" w/Bette Davis

"Miracle on 34th Street"

"It's A Wonderful Life"

...there are so many other old B&W films I hope to see one day....unfortunately, I'm stuck in what can only be described as a truly "podunk" town in NC....and, I'm in law school - so my rental options are extremely limited...sigh....at least there are ice rinks w/in 25 miles!!!!

:) :) :)

mpal2

Final Flight
I just had to come back and expand on some of my favorite Hithcock movies. Has anyone seen Rope? Talk about twisted but brilliant. The movie was filmed as if it was a play. They kept going without stopping (or at least very little stopping). Also another Jimmy Stuart movie.

Two recent college grads with great futures ahead of them decide to kill another college friend just to see if they can get away with murder. The leader in this scheme says it is because they are superior and should be able to get away with it. Turns out, the victim is engaged to the ringleader's ex-girlfriend. Sounds like jealousy to me.

They stuff the body in a chest and then invite the victim's family and fiance over for dinner. They serve dinner over his corpse and "wonder" along with everyone else that the victim hasn't arrived at the party yet. Enter Jimmy Stuart.....

Gruesome tale, but wow, well-done movie.

From another thread, I am still waiting for a reply to my question of what the end of Jules et Jim is all about? Very disturbing ending.

If you don't mind sub titles, rent Jules et Jim, look at it and report.

Thanks - Joe

Grannyfan

Rinkside
I never post on this board, but I love the old movies so I just had to chime in. Many of my favorites have already been mentioned, but I'll add these:

Laura--Dana Andrews, Gene Tierney, Clifton Webb, Vincent Price
Double Indemnity--Barbara Stanwyck, Fred MacMurray
Witness for the Prosecution--Tyrone Power, Marlene Dietrich, Charles Laughton
Gaslight--Ingrid Bergman, Charles Boyer
The Magnificent Ambersons--Joseph Cotten, Tim Holt (?)
Palm Beach Weekend--Joel McCrea, Claudette Colbert
Here Comes Mr. Jordan--Robert Montgomery
How Green Was My Valley--Walter Pigeon, Maureen O'Hara, Roddy McDowell
Strangers on a Train--Robert Walker, Farley Granger
Gentlemen's Agreement--Gregory Peck, John Garfield
The Best Years of Our Lives--Myrna Loy, Dana Andrews, ???
The Heiress--Olivia DeHaviland, Montgomery Clift

I'm blank on the title of an Alfred Hitchcock film with Teresa Wright and Joseph Cotten as her mysterious uncle. Anyone remember?

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
Many of the posts here have served to remind me of all the wonderful old black and white films I watched as a youth and make me long to see them again. The problem I have is that the "chain" video rental stores in my area have such a lack of old classic black and white movies. Does anyone else have this problem and if so, how do they solve it without purchasing a closet full of older movies?

Nan

4dogknight

Final Flight
Grannyfan, you asked:

I'm blank on the title of an Alfred Hitchcock film with Teresa Wright and Joseph Cotten as her mysterious uncle. Anyone remember?

The name of the film is Shadow of a Doubt (1943). It was remade in 1958 under the title Step Down to Terror and starred Colleen Miller and Charles Drake. The film is in B&W.

The film was a made for TV movie in 1991 under the Shadow of a Doubt title and starred Mark Harmon and Margaret Walsh.

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
Because of the crummy weather, yes I know we needed the rain, my better half and I were forced to spend the weekend indoors with the three - four foots who are terrified of thunder storms.

We started talking about the lack of intelligent programming on
TV this weekend which led me to mention this thread about favorite black and white films. My better half was in the media business before retirment so I figured his favorites would be 'color' films. But we came up with an impressive and lengthy list of B&W favorite films. (I can't beleive I didn't include these films on my first list.)

So walk down memory lane with us and for those who have cable or satellite, TCM and AMC does show B&W and yes, silent films too, you just have to watch for them.
1910/1920
Broken Blossoms – 1919 – Lillian Gish, Richard Barthelmess
Way Down East – 1920 - Lillian Gish, Richard Barthelmess
Little Lord Fauntleroy – 1921 – Mary Pickford (notable only because Pickford plays both the title role and Dearest)
Orphans of the Storm – 1921 Lillian Gish, Dorothy Gish, Joseph Schildkraut
Sparrows – 1926 – Mary Pickford
Back Street – 1932 – Irene Dunne, John Boles (3 hanky movie)
Imitation of Life – 1934 – Claudette Colbert (4 hanky movie)
Manhattan Melodrama – 1934 – Clark Gable, William Powell
(the last film John Dillinger ever saw, courtesy of the FBI and the lady in red)
The Scarlet Pimpernel – 1934 – Leslie Howard, Merle Oberon
The Glass Key – 1935 – George Raft, Edward Arnold
Little Lord Fauntleroy – 1936 – Freddie Bartholomew
Captains Courageous – 1937 – Freddie Bartholomew, Spencer Tracy
In Old Chicago - 1937 – Tyrone Power (the cow did it, in a stable, on the South Side, with a lantern)
Maid of Salem – 1937 – Fred MacMurray, Claudette Colbert
Alexander’s Ragtime Band – 1938 – Tyrone Power, Alice Faye, Don Amache, Ethel Merman (like ragtime, like 1920’s style jazz, then this is your film.)
Angels With Dirty Faces – 1938 – James Cagney, Pat O’Brien, Humphrey Bogart
Allegheny Uprising – 1939 – John Wayne, Claire Trevor
Beau Geste – 1939 – Gary Cooper, Robert Preston, Ray Milland
The Cat and the Canary – 1939 – Bob Hope, Paulette Goddard
Union Pacific – 1939 – Joel McCrea, Barbara Stanwyck
Wuthering Heights – 1939 – Laurence Olivier, Merle Oberon (wind him up and watch him overact)
Dark Command – 1940 – John Wayne, Claire Trevor
Pride and Prejudice -1940 – Laurence Olivier, Greer Garson (not a bad film but Colin Firth does it better)
Rebecca -1940 – Laurence Oliver, Joan Fontaine, George Sanders (at least Olivier doesn’t overact in this film, he leaves that distinction to George Sanders and Judith Anderson (Mrs. Danvers))
The Ghost Breakers – 1940 – Bob Hope, Paulette Goddard
Back Street – 1941 – Charles Boyer, Margaret Sullivan (3 hanky film)
Charley’s Aunt -1941 – Jack Benny (funnier, I think than the Ray Bolger remake)
Hold Back the Dawn – 1941 – Charles Boyer, Olivia de Havilland
Penny Serenade – 1941 – Cary Grant, Irene Dunne
Skylark – 1941 – Claudette Colbert, Ray Milland, Brian AherneBut
The Strawberry Blonde – 1941 – James Cagney, Olivia de Havilland
They Died With Their Boots On – 1941 – Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland
(Hollywood’s version of actual events – we know better now)
George Washington Slept Here – 1942 – Jack Benny, Ann Sheridan
The Major and the Minor – 1942 – Ray Milland, Ginger Rogers
Pittsburgh – 1942 – John Wayne, Randolph Scott, Marlene Dietrich
The Outlaw – 1943 – Jane Russell, Jack Buetel (the bra that won the west. Actually the engineered cantilevered bra was never worn in the film)
The Lodger – 1944 – George Sanders, Merle Oberon
The Uninvited – 1944 – Ray Milland, Ruth Hussey, Gail Russell (my very favorite sci-fi, gothic mystery, don’t go up the stairs in the dark film. Also prompted the planting of four mimosa trees on our property.)
The Horn Blows at Midnight – 1945 – Jack Benny
Lost Weekend -1945 – Ray Milland, Jane Wyman
The Egg and I – 1947 – Fred MacMurray, Claudette Colbert (Betty MacDonald’s book is better than the film but the film introduced us to Ma and Pa Kettle. These characters went on to star in 8 films extolling the simple life.)
The Farmer’s Daughter – 1947 – Joseph Cotton, Loretta Young (a political film with a point and an accent)
Arch of Triumph – 1948 – Charles Boyer, Ingrid Bergman
Red River – 1948 – John Wayne (IMHO the definitive western)
Wake of the Red Witch – 1948 – John Wayne, Gail Russell
I Was a Male War Bride – 1949 – Cary Grant, Ann Sheridan
It Happens Every Spring – 1949 – Ray Milland, Jean Peters, Paul Douglas
Caged – 1950 – Eleanor Parker, Agnes Moorhead (this Moorhead is not your familiar Endora, by a long shot)
No Way Out – 1950 – Richard Widmark (the 1987 Kevin Costner film of the same name is actually a remake of the 1948 film The Big Clock with Ray Milland and Charles Laughton)
Panic in the Streets – 1950 – Richard Widmark
Cry the Beloved Country -1951 – Canada Lee, Sidney Potier (Good film but Paton’s book is worth the read)
Rhubarb – 1951 – Ray Milland, Jan Sterling, Gene Lockhart
Westward the Women – 1951 – Robert Taylor, Denise Darcel
Room for One More – 1952 – Cary Grant, Betsy Drake
The Blackboard Jungle – 1955 – Glenn Ford (defined a generation along with the films Rock Around the Clock and Rebel without a Cause)
Somebody Up There Likes Me – 1956 – Paul Newman
The Joker is Wild – 1957 – Frank Sinatra, Mitzi Gaynor (film is worth seeing just to hear Sinatra sing All the Way)
Something Of Value – 1957 – Rock Hudson (okay film but read Robert Ruark’s book for a better understanding of the Mau Mau uprising)
Time Limit – 1957 – Richard Widmark
The Defiant Ones – 1958 – Tony Curtis, Sidney Potier
The Left Handed Gun – 1958 – Paul Newman (one of the better told tales of Billy the Kid)
A Raisin in the Sun – 1961 – Sidney Potier
Pressure Point -1962 – Sidney Potier, Bobby Darin (the film that proved Bobby Darin was more than a pretty face that could sing, he was an actor)
The List of Adrian Messenger – 1963 – Kirk Douglas ( film brought new meaning to who done it)
The Bedford Incident – 1965 – Richard Widmark, Sidney Potier (Good film but Rascoulth’s Book is worth the read)

4DK

Last edited: