Sasha Cohen | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen

AdamFan

Rinkside
Has anyone seen Sasha train with Mr. Nicks, either for next year's tour or competitions? Isn't she supposed to make her decision fairly soon. She hasn't updated her journal since late March.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Has anyone seen Sasha train with Mr. Nicks, either for next year's tour or competitions? Isn't she supposed to make her decision fairly soon. She hasn't updated her journal since late March.

I think one of the Mods might want to move this to the Edge where more people will see it and may respond?

Ant

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From what I have read, Sasha has already signed to headline SOI next season, so that means she will not be returning to competition. The non-guest stars have to commit to doing all the shows, and show dates conflict with Nationals and Worlds.

It seems as if Sasha has made her decision by signing that contract. I don't expect to see Sasha on competition ice ever again, because if she didn't go back to training for 2008-2009, then there would be no chance of her getting back in shape for the 2010 Olympics. She cannot hope to make up for 3 years off competition ice in the space of 7 months without injuring herself.

Winnipeg

Final Flight
I have never once thought Sasha would return to the grind of competitive skating when she can have fun and earn lots of money doing what she is doing......................................any comments re a 'comeback' were for media attention only IMO.

The Kwan Slutskaya Cohen era is over. and I want to add Suguri as well.

I also so think come March 31, 2010 there will be more names to add to yet another era list.

I'm not knocking any of these guys, but one has to realize when to retire formerly or tell us about coaching, choreography, shows etc.

Joe

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
From what I have read, Sasha has already signed to headline SOI next season, so that means she will not be returning to competition.
It seems as if Sasha has made her decision by signing that contract.

I hope that is not the case. I always doubted that she would actually return, once her wounds from Torino healed she would see that moving on was the thing she would do, but I wished that she would make an official announcement, one way or the other.

skamper23

Medalist
From what I have read, Sasha has already signed to headline SOI next season, so that means she will not be returning to competition. The non-guest stars have to commit to doing all the shows, and show dates conflict with Nationals and Worlds.

It seems as if Sasha has made her decision by signing that contract. I don't expect to see Sasha on competition ice ever again, because if she didn't go back to training for 2008-2009, then there would be no chance of her getting back in shape for the 2010 Olympics. She cannot hope to make up for 3 years off competition ice in the space of 7 months without injuring herself.

I'm interested to know where you read this, I too have visited Sasha's site and there's been no announcement, there's also been nothing on the Stars On Ice website either!

skatergirl45

On the Ice
I am starting to cry. No joke.
PLEASE COME BACK SASHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For her sake, I hopes she comes back and proves to the world what she can do.
Her fans miss her and want to see her adn see what she can do against some of the baby ballerinas............

Simoner119

Rinkside
I have to disagree. I'm not particularly upset or suprised. But Michelle, now thats a comeback i would be excited for.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
I think she'd be nuts to even consider a comeback to competition. She has not been training seriously, and by nearly all accounts her jumps were a mess at SOI. I know she was struggling when I saw the show. And the rest of the field has caught up to her in regards to spin and spiral positions and flexibility, so she doesn't have that advantage to rely on when the jumps fail her. I think if she were to try to come back we'd just be hearing one excuse after another, she hurt her back, she hurt her leg, etc... She seems to have moved on. The fans should follow her lead.

AdamFan

Rinkside
Pro Competitions?

I hope she decides to turn pro formally. I'd love to see Shizuka, Sasha and Michelle (and Irina if she's up to it) go head-to-head-to-head in a format like the World Pros. Such a competition could draw fantastic ratings and make money, especially if it was sold to international markets (Japan, Russia, Korea,etc)

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
I hope she decides to turn pro formally. I'd love to see Shizuka, Sasha and Michelle (and Irina if she's up to it) go head-to-head-to-head in a format like the World Pros. Such a competition could draw fantastic ratings and make money, especially if it was sold to international markets (Japan, Russia, Korea,etc)

Now that would be great. I wish pro comps would make a comeback. I would especially love to see Michelle and Irina back on the ice, and maybe Angela Nikodinov (I've missed her terribly). Add Sasha and Shizuka into the mix and pro skating could become really popular with skating fans. And it would be so much more fun to watch than all these little baby ballerinas with triple jumps up the wazoo and crazy flexibility but NO SOUL in their skating.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I would LOVE to see a pro competition with the big names. they just don't seem to do those anymore. Pity, they were such fun.

lmarie086

Medalist

I'd love to see that, that would be so awesome! It's a shame they don't try stuff like this because it could really get a lot of attention.
As for the question of whether Sasha is coming back, I would hope not. Realistically she has no chance of getting her jumps to where they would need to be for her to be competitive, and she does not have the advantage in spins and spirals anymore. And she seems to be enjoying herself on SOI, so why take that away from herself?

Originally posted by Tinymavy15:
I would LOVE to see a pro competition with the big names. they just don't seem to do those anymore. Pity, they were such fun.

Oh me too! I miss the pro comp's so badly. I had always hoped to attend in Andover, a do-able overnight trip for me.

I both hope Sahsa IS signed to SOI and hope she doesn't return to competitions. Sasha SHINES in the shows and I loved her with SOI this past season.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Really? To be quite honest I didn't think she was that great (she just "went through the motions" IMO). I thought Kimmie was better- she skated with more joy and energy and I found it easier to get into her performance. That was a pleasant surprise, too. And I was up close as well. (Neither one messed up, in case you were wondering.)

Was underwhelmed by Cohen because I really thought she would make this great show skater. She really needs to sell the program to the audience, or find a piece that shows off her strongest qualities/personalities and use that for her show piece. DROMP was perfect for her.

Last edited:

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Really? To be quite honest I didn't think she was that great (she just "went through the motions" IMO). I thought Kimmie was better- she skated with more joy and energy and I found it easier to get into her performance. That was a pleasant surprise, too. And I was up close as well. (Neither one messed up, in case you were wondering.)

Was underwhelmed by Cohen because I really thought she would make this great show skater. She really needs to sell the program to the audience, or find a piece that shows off her strongest qualities/personalities and use that for her show piece. DROMP was perfect for her.

I agree with you on this one. For all the talk that Sasha is a show skater, that she really shines when the pressure is off and the spotlight is on, she really doesn't "shine." She looked very blank and almost disinterested when I saw her as SOI, whereas Kimmie was just flying around the rink, looking like she was loving what she was doing, and she had the audience practically eating out of her hand. SHe really drew them in and lit the place up. Don't know if she plans on doing shows when she retires from competiton, but she'd be a great headliner for SOI.

merrybari

Final Flight
I agree with you on this one. For all the talk that Sasha is a show skater, that she really shines when the pressure is off and the spotlight is on, she really doesn't "shine." She looked very blank and almost disinterested when I saw her as SOI, whereas Kimmie was just flying around the rink, looking like she was loving what she was doing, and she had the audience practically eating out of her hand. SHe really drew them in and lit the place up. Don't know if she plans on doing shows when she retires from competiton, but she'd be a great headliner for SOI.

Me three!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree with you on this one. For all the talk that Sasha is a show skater, that she really shines when the pressure is off and the spotlight is on, she really doesn't "shine." She looked very blank and almost disinterested when I saw her as SOI, whereas Kimmie was just flying around the rink, looking like she was loving what she was doing, and she had the audience practically eating out of her hand.

Interesting. Which show did you attend? I went to the Baltimore one.

Kimmie also came by our section for the hand shakes (but didn't shake ours). She seemed just happy to be there, and looked quite radiant I may add. As for Cohen I think she went to the opposite end of where we were.

Last edited:

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Interesting. Which show did you attend? I went to the Baltimore one.

Kimmie also came by our section for the hand shakes (but didn't shake ours). She seemed just happy to be there. As for Cohen I think she went to the opposite end of where we were.

I was at the Albany, NY show. I was so happy when I saw that Kimmie would be there, and she definitely did not disappoint! I hope she gets an invite next year, too.