So You Think You Can Dance season 4 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

So You Think You Can Dance season 4

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
All i can say about tonight is that I HATE MIA. Pompous, arrogant, snotty, B****. She needs to shut her mouth.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
All i can say about tonight is that I HATE MIA. Pompous, arrogant, snotty, B****. She needs to shut her mouth.

I love Mia. She tells it like it is and says what she thinks. Yes she could imply a little more tact at times, but I'm not a fan of sugar coating to make people feel better. She reminds me of my dance teacher.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jessica performed once to the judges expectations and was highly, highly praised. So I think that tells the judges she can do it. I think Mia was so right on and maybe Jessica will listen this time. If Mia didn't say that then maybe Jessica will never grow beyond where she is....sometimes you need to hear the expectations other people have for you. I don't think for one minute that Mia said that to be mean... I think she told ..... the truth.

Dee

CB1AB2

Medalist
I think it will be Comfort and Thayne. Out of her comfort zone she is just OK for me. Thayne on the other hand I think with a different partner he would do better. The same with Will and Jessica. She hasn't progressed too the same level as he has.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm with Mia when it comes to Thayne... I love him and that wonderful smile :love:

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Mia annoys me to no end. I have literally contemplated not ever watching SYTYCD ever again just so that I don't have to see or hear her. She is sooooooo fake and icky nasty gross. Putting words into Will's mouth like that was absolutely disgusting. If she wants to say, "Jessica, I think you are holding Will back," that's one thing. But to even pretend to know what Will is thinking, and to say it in front of how many millions of viewers? That was wrong. I will say it again, I now and forever hate that woman and if she had a heart attack tonight, I wouldn't lose a moment's sleep over it.

Censorship is crap

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker

I don't care for any of the judges on this show. Personally I thought Mia looked terrible in that horrible black hat and ugly dress - someone should tell her what awful fashion sense she has!! I find her comments over the top and she only gives positive comments to the dancers shelikes. Mary's screaming drives me nuts. Therefore I rarely watch the show.

Last season Cat Deeley drove me crazy with her thick Brit accent, but at least she is nice and tries to make the dancers feel positive.

It's not my favorite show, but the dancers are pretty good.

How come when the dancers do either Hip Hop or Krumping the judges always tell them they either don't get it or their technique is all wrong? I don't care for either dance. Although when Kurt does Hip Hop on the ice in one of his programs he makes it look cool. Hey, maybe they need to bring Kurt Browning on board to teach the dancers how to do Hip Hop.

I think Krumping is ugly. It should be banned from the show.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Lad - I'm not sure what you mean by the judges always saying the hip hop/krumps are not done well... most of the time the judges like what they see...

And Kurt does not do Hip Hop on ice... he might do a pop type dance, but I have never thought he had enough 'tude to be a hip hopper.... that is just too much hype on a great skater.

AwesomeIce - I don't think it's fair to wish ill/death on a person. That's a little low, IMHO. Mia called it like it was - Will is carrying Jessica far more than he should have to, and why they are allowing her to continue is beyond me.

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Again......I can't see how "Will is carrying Jessica" is relevant. She learns and performs her half of the routine. Her extensions on the lifts are amazing. I would like it just once, if the choreographers could be asked if the dancers performed their routines to their satisfaction. They are the ones, after all, who work with the dancers, not the judges. The judges are always commenting on interpretation of the pieces. How do they know exactly what the choreographers expected from their dancers? While this show is one of my favs, I am getting tired of Mary Murphy. She is beginning to sound a bit like Paula from AI. 42

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Again......I can't see how "Will is carrying Jessica" is relevant. She learns and performs her half of the routine. Her extensions on the lifts are amazing. I would like it just once, if the choreographers could be asked if the dancers performed their routines to their satisfaction. They are the ones, after all, who work with the dancers, not the judges. 42
Show I thought the same thing. I think the choreographers should be asked or share some of the responsibiltiy too. I guess I don't see either what is the matter with Jessica. Of course to be honest I am watching Will most of the time. Can someone here who knows dance tell me what Jessica is doing soooooo wrong. I know that I am taking the professionals word too much.

Dee

eliza88

On the Ice
I would love to hear the choreographers take on the dancers performances!

I really enjoyed Will/Jessica's Tyse Diorio's routine...thought it was choreographed AND danced beautifully...that and kudos to the costume dept keeping Will in as little as possible! :)

I also LOVED the Bollywood number...such fun entertainment and Katee and Johua nailed it!

The Alvin Ailey dancers from the results show were breathtaking...OMG why did that have to end?!!!

I am glad that Comfort and Thayne were the ones to leave, IMO they were the obvious choice. I was worried for Jessica though, she seems to get much negative comments from both viewers and judges....Will is such a strong dancer that any lesser dancer will look weaker next to him. She will however have to wow the viewers next week if she wants to stay on the show. I preferred her solo to Comfort's no matter what Nigel said!

Why do they always put dumb stuff in Cat's hair?

What is next weeks format? I know the pairings will change, but will they dance 1 or 2 dances? If it is 2 dances will the pairing stay the same? Or will they do what they did last year with everyone dancing the same solo?

eliza88

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
AwesomeIce - I don't think it's fair to wish ill/death on a person. That's a little low, IMHO. Mia called it like it was - Will is carrying Jessica far more than he should have to, and why they are allowing her to continue is beyond me.

I did not wish ill on Mia, I only said that if she were to take ill, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. And its not so much that she pointed out that Jessica is the weaker of the two dancers that bothers me. It is obvious to even the most casual viewer that Will is much stronger than Jess, and its fine to point that out. What really got me mad was HOW Mia said it, by putting words in Will's mouth. That was tacky, classless, tasteless, disgusting. Mia has lost any tiny shred of respect I might have had for her... well, no, I really never did like her anyway and always thought her choreo was crap, but now, she is just revolting to me.

heyang

Record Breaker
If the top 10 is similar to season's 2 & 3, one gender will draw a name for a new partner and then they will draw for 2 styles of dance and perform 2 routines. The lowest 2 vote recipients of each gender will be announced at the results show. All 4 will do their solos and then the lowest vote recipient of each gender will be eliminated from the show.

I just read that choreographers Tabitha and Napoleon will have their own show on TLC called Rock the Reception. It begins on Tuesday July 18th at 8:30pm. They teach a bride and groom to dance non-traditional 1st dances to the delight of their reception guests.

Here's a better description:
http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/rock-reception/rock-reception.html

Also, for Season 2 Ivan fans, he's been doing like a video blog that can be found at www.mvmnt.com - click on iVan at the top of the screen. He visits with a lot of former SYTYCD contestants.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I would like it just once, if the choreographers could be asked if the dancers performed their routines to their satisfaction. They are the ones, after all, who work with the dancers, not the judges. The judges are always commenting on interpretation of the pieces. How do they know exactly what the choreographers expected from their dancers?

ITA. The judges often make a big deal about how a dance was interpreted in a way that sounds like THEY think they know exactly what was on the choreographer's mind -- but that's not necessarily so. The dancers work directly with the choreographers so intensively that I think having the choreographers comment as a routine part of the evaluation would be helpful. I have, actually, seen them do this once or twice, but not consistently.

Plus, this might help some dancers who are truly performing well what they were given to do, but what they were given was bizarre or incoherent in vision. From this season, e.g., one of the Courtneys (I know that spelling is wrong) and her partner had that weird wedding routine. I thought the dance would have been better if the spazziness of the characters had been more consistent or something -- but it was only shown in a few of the moves. But I don't think that was the dancers' fault. I think they danced well what they were given to dance. But kind of like bad writing or bad direction in acting, you can only do so much with the material you're given.

And agree with those who find the judges annoying. Also the CAMERA WORK -- somebody PLEASE tell the technical directors that, yes, the dances themselves truly are interesting to us fans. We don't need new camera angles every blessed 5 seconds or less to give the dances an artificial sense of energy. The dances are plenty dynamic on their own. And we like to see dancers' FEET, please. I don't have to have closeups of feet (though I do like those), but please make sure I can at least _see_ feet the majority of the time. Oh, and show more DANCING and less fluff, please.

Whew, I feel better!

Tenorguy

On the Ice
I think Krumping is ugly. It should be banned from the show.

Ladskater, let me just say a few words in defense of Krumping....

Krumping is supposed to be as you say, ugly. That is the point..... krumnping as I understand it is a dance straight from the streets where kids work out their frustration, agression and passion in a non-violent context. It is definitely not a social dance (kinda obvious huh?).

What's so great about this show is that is exposes kids to so many expressions of dance. Krump is not a "nice" social dance, but a safety valve for angry, frustrated kids to work out their sincere expressions of whatever nastiness is going on in their heads. Perhaps kids attracted to Krump will learn the value of being exposed to the social, more graceful and technical dances?

I commend SYTYCD for including this rough style - I think kids need so much to see all the ways they can express themselves and expressing the grittiness of life in my opinion is completely valid. Krump is not a pretty style, but then part of life is neither pretty nor elevating..... I hope you can see the originators' point of view! Banning expression is the antithesis of a free society.....

Just saying!

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
ITA. The judges often make a big deal about how a dance was interpreted in a way that sounds like THEY think they know exactly what was on the choreographer's mind -- but that's not necessarily so. The dancers work directly with the choreographers so intensively that I think having the choreographers comment as a routine part of the evaluation would be helpful. I have, actually, seen them do this once or twice, but not consistently.

Plus, this might help some dancers who are truly performing well what they were given to do, but what they were given was bizarre or incoherent in vision. From this season, e.g., one of the Courtneys (I know that spelling is wrong) and her partner had that weird wedding routine. I thought the dance would have been better if the spazziness of the characters had been more consistent or something -- but it was only shown in a few of the moves. But I don't think that was the dancers' fault. I think they danced well what they were given to dance. But kind of like bad writing or bad direction in acting, you can only do so much with the material you're given.

And agree with those who find the judges annoying. Also the CAMERA WORK -- somebody PLEASE tell the technical directors that, yes, the dances themselves truly are interesting to us fans. We don't need new camera angles every blessed 5 seconds or less to give the dances an artificial sense of energy. The dances are plenty dynamic on their own. And we like to see dancers' FEET, please. I don't have to have closeups of feet (though I do like those), but please make sure I can at least _see_ feet the majority of the time. Oh, and show more DANCING and less fluff, please.

Whew, I feel better!

I agree that the choreographer's should be able to explain their vision, but I don't think they should comment on the performance since it can be difficult to critique the performance of your own work.

I think it was Chelsi Hightower and Mark who performed Beetejuice's wedding during the 1st week of public input.

The judges are there to give their critiques as professionals in the field. Although it is harsh at times, the honest feedback will help them if they take it constructively. I can understand that it is disheartening, but it's a tough competitive environment beyond the show. Perhaps I don't know what I'm talking about, but I think there are prima donna choreographers/producers/directors who would express themselves much more harshly and attack on a personal level. The public spotlight can also be much more unfair then the judges.

BTW, I did find Mia's comments to Jessica to be uncalled for, especially the wording she used to express herself. Nigel essentially said the same, but much less harsh manner. Essentially, I think they paired her with Will because they thought that they could enhance each other. Will performed to his best and it would have been wrong for him to back off to match her. Based on Nigel's feedback, they definitely felt that Jessica has only come close to matching his expectations for her about 50% of the time. I tend to agree with him as most times I watch Will instead of Jessica, even when the choreography was intended to highlight her - a la disco. She didn't take the opportunity to strut her stuff to best effect and you can't back off in the competitive world of dance.

I was reading Danny Tidwell's biography on a website somewhere yesterday - it said that he was disenchanted, but watching Travis on SYTYCD made him want to dance again. On one of the video clips at www.mvmnt.com , Travis mentioned that SYTYCD is the best thing that has happened to dance in a long time since it's the only venue that has brought them to the attention of the general public.

I also get weary of Mary's scream. I actually enjoy her most when she's more soft toned. I also think that some of the dancers to enjoy her over the top enthusiasm because of the regard they have for her opinion.

Totally agree about the camera work. What's wrong with showing us exactly what the judges see during the actual performance and then using the closeups, etc for the replay/recap? Can't stand when they show face and upper body when the dance is about hips and footwork, etc. Use the Fred Astaire rule - head to toe in view at all times.

I read a recap of Twitchington's broken heart contemporary routine over at entertainment weekly's site. The commentator actually saw it live 1st and then on TV - the following link to his article has an indication of how much actually miss seeing during the broadcast - of particular note is at the end of page 3, which would have made the performance more complete to the TV viewer if we had been able to see the entire stage.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20210238,00.html

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Lad - I'm not sure what you mean by the judges always saying the hip hop/krumps are not done well... most of the time the judges like what they see...

And Kurt does not do Hip Hop on ice... he might do a pop type dance, but I have never thought he had enough 'tude to be a hip hopper.... that is just too much hype on a great skater.

The two seasons I have watched this show - the judges (including the black choreographer who does most of the Krump and hip hop choreography - sorry don't know his name) are never quite pleased with the results. I guess I am too much into ball room to get any of this type of "dance." Too me it is ugly and lacks style. I find it rather crude at times (dancers grabbing their crotch for example) - saying that sounds crude - sorry if this offends anyone, but I don't know how else to desrcibe it. At any rate, give me ball room and ballet any day! Okay call me conventional.

As for Kurt - he is pure genius on ice. In fact his "Singing in the Rain" program is my all time favorite. Talk about the Gene Kelly of the blade.

Anyway it is just a show and just like American and Canadian Idol based on people's opinions. It's like comparing apples to oranges most of the time.

heyang

Record Breaker
The two seasons I have watched this show - the judges (including the black choreographer who does most of the Krump and hip hop choreography - sorry don't know his name) are never quite pleased with the results. I guess I am too much into ball room to get any of this type of "dance." Too me it is ugly and lacks style. I find it rather crude at times (dancers grabbing their crotch for example) - saying that sounds crude - sorry if this offends anyone, but I don't know how else to desrcibe it. At any rate, give me ball room and ballet any day! Okay call me conventional.

Don't confuse Hip Hop vs Krumping. They are 2 different styles that happen to evolve from the streets.

Lil C has been the only choreographer of Krumping on the show and he has never been a judge. I haven't seen him jumping up and down in his seat after his work has been performed and grinning ear to ear, but I don't think that's his style either. He has given his version of a thumbs up though.

Shane Sparks has been a judge and choreographer on the show - probably has done about 1/3 of the hip hop routines. In most cases, I can only recall him heaping praise on the hip hop performances designed by other choreographers (with the notable exception of 1 Dan Karaty hip hop routine) and has always shown enthusiasm when his numbers are performed well - he's much more animated then some of the other choreographers. The choreographer has never acted as a judge when his/her number is being performed.

Cecily and Olisa are another hip hop choreography team. They've provided both negative and positive feedback for all the routines.

Dan Karaty is another hip hop choreographer. He isn't as over the top enthusiastic as others, but has also provided both positive and negative feedback.

Tabitha and Napoleon are the latest choreographers of hip hop on the show - as Adam Shankman put it, they have emphasized the lyrical aspects of hip hop. I've loved their work on the show and I haven't noted them being totally negative about a performance of their work. They have been both negative and positive about the performance of other work.

Some of the lyrical hip hop can seem to be contemporary bodies of work.

Of all the hip hop choreographers, I would say that Cecily and Olisa's has been the most consistently hard hitting. Shane has had a mix of both hard and lyrical. I always feel that Dan's is more towards pop than real hip hop - jmho.

As someone else pointed out, krump started on the street and it's about being aggressive and violent as an expression of frustration. It's not supposed to be pretty and soft. I think the problem with having krumping on the show is that most of the dancers haven't experienced the desolation the gave birth to the dance style, and they are in a 'happy' place on the show - so, it can be hard to mimic the anger that this needed to krump correctly. I'ts also supposed be fast and furious. Other than seeing Lil C perform on the show, the only other example I can think of is one of the scenes from Bring it On: All or Nothing (#3 - starring Heroes' Hayeden Pannettierre and Solange Knowles).