So You Think You Can Dance season 4 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

So You Think You Can Dance season 4

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Dan himself has said he's more Pop than Hip Hop... I know he also choreographs pop routines... or has in the past

as for Kurt - I'm not denying he's great... but his version of hip hop is a very 'white city boy' version, which is NOT hip hop. That's not an insult, it's just truth. I don't think you CAN do true hip hop on blades... I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't see Kurt being the one to bring it to the ice. I wouldn't want him to.... (Tanith and Ben tried, but it didn't really succeed and was again more pop than hip hop... basically the white boy's version... ;))

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I don't care for any of the judges on this show. Personally I thought Mia looked terrible in that horrible black hat and ugly dress - someone should tell her what awful fashion sense she has!! I find her comments over the top and she only gives positive comments to the dancers shelikes. Mary's screaming drives me nuts. Therefore I rarely watch the show.

Last season Cat Deeley drove me crazy with her thick Brit accent, but at least she is nice and tries to make the dancers feel positive.

It's not my favorite show, but the dancers are pretty good.

How come when the dancers do either Hip Hop or Krumping the judges always tell them they either don't get it or their technique is all wrong? I don't care for either dance. Although when Kurt does Hip Hop on the ice in one of his programs he makes it look cool. Hey, maybe they need to bring Kurt Browning on board to teach the dancers how to do Hip Hop.

I think Krumping is ugly. It should be banned from the show.

Couple of points in responce to this post.
1st, based on the type of person Mia seems to be I don´t think she´s trying to look good, I think she´s trying to make a statment, JMO.
2nd, everyone is biased by thier own opinions and Mia can come off as harsh, but that´s the world of professional dance, and compared to some of the critics in the dance world Mia is relativly tame. They call it like they see it, no pussyfooting.
3rd, Cat it the best host on television, British or otherwise, and her accents not that thick.
4th, There have been plently of good hip-hop routines, but the krump hasn´t had enough edge in general. Wether you like krump or not, it is amazing to watch good krumpers. In terms of hip-hop technique, it exists and alot of contemporary dancers don´t have it.
5thYou don´t have to like hip-hop or krump, but they are just as legitimate as any ballroom style or ballet and they have a right to be showcased. The diversity in the dances is one of the shows greatest strengths. To fully appreciate dance you need exposure to all styles.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
It's not a big deal, but I just wanted to clarify that what annoys me about the judges is not nearly so much _what_ they say as how they say it. When the two women judges are excited, they get (for me) altogether too hyper and squealy about it. And I just have a general impression that all 3 of them can be kind of extreme in their comments, they either love ya or hate ya, not so much middle ground. Maybe that's an accurate reflection of what they are seeing, or maybe that's how they enhance the drama of the show. It's just my personal taste, though, that I'd rather have less emoting from the judges.

And, as always, how about showing us more dancing and less fluff and commentary? We really should be able to see entire routines at the very minimum. I'd rather see more of the dance and have an edited version of the judges' reactions.

Still it's a great show, of course!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
well, with the fluff it's all about getting to know the contestant - which is a big part of these reality shows... so it's pretty much a given that you have to deal with ;)

heyang

Record Breaker
well, with the fluff it's all about getting to know the contestant - which is a big part of these reality shows... so it's pretty much a given that you have to deal with ;)

Agree with you Toni. Also, the title up for grabs is "America's FAVORITE Dancer" - NOT the Best dancer.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
News update (not a spoiler, because it has been reported by several media outlets) -- Jessica has withdrawn from the competition with an injury (the nature of the injury to be disclosed on Wednesday's show) and Comfort has returned to the competition.

I'd love to see Comfort paired with Joshua, because I got the impression they're friends and have danced together previously. They seemed to know each other at the Las Vegas auditions. Regardless of who her partner is, she gets to dance at least one more week.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting news. I just hope her spirit isn't broken.

U.S. laws prevented Lythgoe was prohibited from elaborating on the nature of Jessica’s injury though it’s unclear why. However, she will appear on this week’s episode and will explain what happened to the audience, and America. He gave no further details but did let it slip that one of the new couples this week would be Courtney Galiano and Joshua Allen.

Dee

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So what did Jessica have to say?? I didn't see the last hour of the show or the first 20 minutes

Dee

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ She broke her ribs and can't dance for at least four weeks.

Thanks Math, you're just keeping me up to date on everything. :clap: :clap: Well, I know that I can always count on you.

Did she say how she broke them?? It just sounds fishy to me but an easy way out.

Dee

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Did she say how she broke them?? It just sounds fishy to me but an easy way out.

Dee

i so agree. she looks fine, wasn't wearing a cast or anything. it seems she would not have been able to do a quater of the things she had been doing with broken ribs. After those comments from Mia last week...it was either her or comfort. personally i think jessica was a great dancer, much more potential than comfort who will probably go this week.

heyang

Record Breaker
Jessica appeared right after the group intro, which neither she nor Comfort participated in. As Mathman posted, 2 broken ribs and 1 fractured = no dancing for 4 weeks. I don't know enough about doctoring to say if ribs have to be bound to heal - perhaps it's related to which ribs and the locations of the breaks. Also, a flesh colored binding would not have been visible under her dress, as snug as it was.

Entertainment Weekly online had reported that Comfort would also replace Jessica on tour, but Jessica said that she was going to be getting better in time to join the tour. OMG - I just counted the weeks - only 3 more weeks to the finals. 8, 6, 4.

For the ladies, I think the bottom 2 this week will be Kherington and Comfort. If voting were based only on this week's performances, Kherington should get the heave ho. She did not partner well with Mark. Not sure if viewer backlash will eliminate Comfort, instead.

As for the guys, the decision is much tougher from an overall perspective. IMO, bottom 3 would be Mark, Gev and Twitch. If only based on week, Mark and Twitch will be bottom and Mark will go. I could also opt for Gev in the bottom 2 instead of Twitch. Gev's duets were good and his solo was ok. Twitch had 1 ok for general public performance, 1 great duet and a notable solo. I really think Mark will probably be eliminated this week.

I really enjoyed Lil C as a judge. He was articulate and not over the top like the other judges. He offered constructive criticism and praise.

I think Josh's personality is really starting to shine. I loved what he said last week about wanting to do well on Bollywood routine since he did not want to disrespect someone else's culture. He was funny this week when he joked about Will and Twitch not wearing shirts. He also proved that his success on the show is not because of Katee.

Katee's being on the show must've been fate since her comments almost got her cut from the Top 20. She has been pretty amazing every week.

I hope Josh and Katee make it to the final 4.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Well, I'm upset. I peeked and found out the two that are going home tonight.......42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kherrington and Gev went home tonight... not sure I agree or not, but really I can't think of who would be better.

As for Jessica's credibility, if she gets to go on tour then the producers must have gotten confirmation from her drs. so that they knew she wasn't faking. at least, if I want to believe that the show is trying to keep it fair

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Heyang, thanks so much for the updates you post, they're great!!! Please keep it up. I appreciate them.

I absolutely loved Mia's Ave Maria. It was so dramatic.

Can anyone tell me what the 3 or 4 fingers on the shoulder means??
Heyang said:
I really enjoyed Lil C as a judge. He was articulate and not over the top like the other judges. He offered constructive criticism and praise.
I do too and I think he explained that so well last night.

Dee

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Well we missed most of the first part but did see where she said she had 2 broken ribs and 1 fractured. So, to me I thought broken and fractured were the same thing. ?????????????????????

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
I thought broken and fractured were the same thing. ?????????????????????

My thoughts exactly.

Jessica made top 10, so she was always going on tour. The tour isn't for another two months, so she should be fine.

And now, Comfort has a really great hip hop duet with Twitch that she can do on tour.

I am sad about Gev, but he had some great performances and he'll get to do the tour, so it's not that bad.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Well we missed most of the first part but did see where she said she had 2 broken ribs and 1 fractured. So, to me I thought broken and fractured were the same thing. ?????????????????????

I think that the difference is, with a "broken" bone, there is a complete break, as in, the bone is in two pieces. A fracture is more like a crack in the bone, I think, but it doesn't go completely through the bone. Don't quote me on it, I'm not a doctor, but I think that is how the two differ.

As to how the injury happened, did she give a time frame as to when it might have happened? Because I distinctly remember a move in what I think was their disco routine (but I won't swear to it), where Will was supposed to sort of swing her around in a circle on the floor (sorry, I don't know what the move is called, though I guess it looks sort of like a variation of skating's "death spiral"), and Will dropped Jessica too far and she slammed the side of her ribcage into the floor. I remember thinking when I saw that, that it must have really hurt. If I had to guess, I'd say that was where the injury came from. Or at the very least, if she was already injured, this didn't help at all.