ISU Grand Prix announced | Golden Skate

ISU Grand Prix announced

Kypma

Final Flight
Is it me, or have the seeding processes changed? I thought the top 6 had to be split between one event in the first half and one in the second... but Jeff has both in the first half (as an example).

Kypma

Yay! Here we go! :rock:

Wow, Rachael Flatt and Mirai Nagasu have their work cut out for them in their debuts at Skate America. They face Kim, Nakano and Ando, and also Meissner and long-shot Poykio.

In their second events, it's not quite so formidable: Flatt goes against Kostner and Meier at Cup of Russia, while Nagasu will have to contend with Asada and Nakano at NHK, but has reasonable prospect for a bronze.

Caroline Zhang has better medal prospects (on paper at least). She faces Kostner and Rochette at Skate Canada and Asada and Rochette (also Emily Hughes!) in France, but still could be in the medal hunt in both events.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Caroline should get to the GPF again, her events are not that hard, Skate America will be very interesting. I see they have both Evan and Johnny for Skate America. I guess we will have to suffer through more rivalry hype. :rofl: Also...interesting that Johnny didn't get Cup of Russia. I am sure he is disappointed about that one. Davis and White will probably get second in Skate Canada... after Virtue and Moir. This year, the ladies events will be the best .

Wrlmy

Medalist
:eek: at SA ladies lineup. I can't even predict the podium. Any of Nakano, Ando, Kim, Meissner, Flatt, and Nagasu can medal else where. Caroline can definitely make GPF with two silvers or one silver and one gold.
I'm so happy Alissa got SC. It has always been a good event for her. If she medals, which isn't a long shot, I'll be soooooooo happy. Also glad Suguri and Poykio got two assignments.
Mirai also has a descent chance of making GPF. Strong performance at SA will definitely boost her confidence.

I predict Yu-Na, Mao, and Caroline are shoe-in for GPF. Mirai, Rachael, Sarah, Joannie, Yukari, Miki, and Carolina will be fighting for the rest of the spots. Mirai and Rachael are facing tough competitions, but I can see Rachael grabbing gold at CoR.

I'm so excited!!

lmarie086

Medalist
SA: This is going to be a great competition, I can tell already. But on another note...Johnny vs Evan? Seriously? Why isn't Johnny going to CoR? He did wonderfully there last season. But the US men should do well there-I won't right out predict a podium sweep but it is a possibility. And the ladies event...Wow. Nagasu, Meissner, Flatt vs Nakano, Ando, Kim?? What a show that'll be! As for dance, I am thrilled that the Kerrs will be there. Hopefully NBC will do an interview with them so I can hear John speak again. But silliness aside, B/A will have their work cut out going against D/S (French). S/B will probably debut in the top 4, and I'm hoping that last spot goes to S/G; I love them! In pairs I'm so glad that Y/C got a spot, they have a great future I think. And I can't wait to see M/B vs S/S.

SC: This won't be as detailed...In dance of course I expect V/M to win but the fight for silver will be the highlight of the event. P/B vs D/W; now we find out how valid the placing at Worlds was. Crone/Poirier will probably get 4th.

CoC: Will be a nailbitter. D/S (Russian) vs K/N vs B/A; that is going to be so intense. Throw in C/L and that is probably safe to say will be the top 4.

TEB: I'm looking to see a top 5 of D/S (F), K/K, F/S, C/P, and W/B.

CoR: I expect a podium of D/S (R), K/N, and D/W. C/L could surprise, but at this point I'm not sure. And why do they keep pitting D/S and K/N against each other?

NHK: V/M will probably win, and the other podium spots most likely will go to F/S and P/B. N/B and S/B could probably end up in the top 5, I definitely wouldn't be surprised.

This is going to be a somewhat stressful fall!

kandidy

Final Flight
Wow, the SA is gonna be very tough! Yuna , Miki, Kimmie Mirai, Rachel
Just five of them are very potential to win the medals in other events!

I'm so happy Alissa got SC. It has always been a good event for her. If she medals, which isn't a long shot, I'll be soooooooo happy.
If Alissa does wel at Skate Canada there is always the possibility of a second event opening up later on (not wishing anyone bad luck.) When Alissa did so well a couple of years ago, with a gold at Skate Canada and a silver at Skate America, if I remember correctly both times she got the chance to compete at the last minute as an alternate when Michelle and Sasha withdrew.

Wrlmy

Medalist
If Alissa does wel at Skate Canada there is always the possibility of a second event opening up later on (not wishing anyone bad luck.) When Alissa did so well a couple of years ago, with a gold at Skate Canada and a silver at Skate America, if I remember correctly both times she got the chance to compete at the last minute as an alternate when Michelle and Sasha withdrew.

I see an undecided spot in CoR, but that might be reserved for a Russian lady. But I can always hope:love:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Skate America looks to be all about the guys this time... at least on US TV (if it's shown... NBC can't keep ignoring the guys when it comes to international competition. I would think Scott would have the pull to make his part of the sport mroe important... but that's just me being optimistic about sports broadcasting)

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
I hope Melissa and Denis nab that third spot at Skate America. I can't believe that US Figue Skating didn't just give it to them already. Yes, they missed all of last season, but it they had a great season the year before and they've represented the US very well.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I hope Melissa and Denis nab that third spot at Skate America. I can't believe that US Figue Skating didn't just give it to them already. Yes, they missed all of last season, but it they had a great season the year before and they've represented the US very well.

Maybe they're waiting to hear back from them to see if Denis is even going to be able to compete. I haven't heard lately how they're doing recovery wise...

but I was coming back to say that I was hoping they'd get SA

and I'm so happy and excited for Jennifer and Daniil getting two GP assignments!:rock:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Weir has an enormous fan base in Japan. I can't imagine he'll be too disappointed to skate for them. It's possible that the Japanese Fed had an earlier pick than the Russian Fed, after USFS took Weir for Skate America. Weir has always been complimentary about the fans from Seattle/Everett at the end of the COI tours. Apart from a no-travel local competition, it's probably the best place for him to skate. Of course, by then it will be raining and dark by 5:30pm, and Seattle isn't quite as beautiful then as it is in June/July.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Interesting. My random thoughts: SA looks the most interesting of the bunch...and fittingly it seems to be the one we Americans will get to see on TV (or at least whatever chopped up highlights the network wants us to see). Meissner getting Russia- usually she gets France. interesting also to see that Hacker got two events as well as Nagasu and Flatt. And Sebestyen's been around for 20 years it seems.

And I hear some people saying the American TV ignores the men. I don't think that's the case any more. The highlight will always be the ladies event as long as we have contenders, but the men clearly get second billing at least by NBC (ABC just had Ladies, then everyone else). They were shown last year at SA, and the national's mens event was given a prime time slot last year. If NBC's SA coverage is like last year expect the focus to be solely on singles (which I personally wouldn't mind). They'll probably leave it to Ice Network again for pairs and dance coverage since you can only show so much in two hours, even if you ditched commercials.

Last edited:

ChrisH

On the Ice
There doesn't appear to be any questional assignments or non-assignments among the senior US ladies. There were a couple of questionable assignments for the JGP. I expected at least 15 invites and the ladies got 16 :clap: as Hughes is apparently competing this upcoming season. That she didn't get 2 assignments perhaps shows the lack of certainty as to her status. In total, 7 ladies got 2 assignments and Czisny and Hughes got 1 each.

The Japanese ladies look a bit shortchanged with only 11 assignments. Takeda got 2 assignments and the 3rd NHK invite went to Suzuki. Perhaps this means that Nishino and Suizu opted for the JGP like Gilles, Maxwell, Musedemba, and Rizo did with the US juniors.

The Finnish ladies got 8 assignments, including 2 assignments for Vahamaa.

The Canadian ladies got 7 assignments, including 2 for Phaneuf, with the Skate Canada invite going to Samson.

Na-Young Kim got only 1 assignment. Apparently being a good host for 4CC didn't get the Korean federation enough clout.

Chief among those who missed out of an assignment are Lesley Hawker and Victoria Pavuk. I hope that the Didiers are training hard.

Asada keeps the Trophee Eric Bompard and trades Skate Canada for the NHK Trophy. Kim keeps the Cup of China and trades the Cup of Russia for Skate America. Zhang's 2nd assignment is the Trophee Bompard. Perhaps we will "only" have to wait 2 weeks rather than 3 to know that she qualifies for the final.

I hope that the Didiers are training hard.
:)
Zhang's 2nd assignment is the Trophee Bompard. Perhaps we will "only" have to wait 2 weeks rather than 3 to know that she qualifies for the final.
Zhang is up against Joannie Rochette in both of her events. One will very likely knock the other out, and Rochette will have the home crowd advantage in Canada. At the moment Caroline looks like long shot, since she also faces Mao Asada in France and Carolina Kostner in Canada.

Then again, Caroline is at the age where she might be much improved from last year. :yes:

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Then again, Caroline is at the age where she might be much improved from last year. :yes:

But, she's also at an age where she might have to deal with the pesky issue of growth spurts. I think it will be difficult to make any predictions about her. Heck, right now I don't feel comfortable making predictions about anyone!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was surprised to see that the USFS submitted Emily Hughes and that she got an assignment. I wouldn't be overly surprised if she withdrew, though.

I was suprised to see that Kevin Van Der Perren was selected for Skate America (he is the #6 seed). He recently had surgery on his knee, and I would have thought he would have preferred to have later GP assignments (CoR and/or NHK) if any. I wouldn't be surprised to see him withdraw from SA.

Oh, woe for the US ladies at SA! The USFS doesn't use common sense at ALL! Why have 3 top US ladies at the same event? Especially when the seeds are Nakano (very consistent) and Kim, and then they go and invite Ando!

Mira Leung is really up against it at SA. There is no way she will finish any higher than 7th.