Jumps landed ... and a question ... | Golden Skate

Jumps landed ... and a question ...

princess-ice

Rinkside
Early in the week, I was pretty sure I finally landed my double Axel/ double toe combination jump. My coach came over and checked the marks on the ice and said it looked good, but she didn't see me land it. By mid-week, I landed a few during my lesson. I was thrilled!

Later, I started working on my triples, and I landed the triple Salchow several times. I didn't even have to call my coach over to see it --- I did it right in the lesson. Wow, what a feeling of accomplishment!!

It's amazing how in this sport you can want something so bad, work so hard, and with dedication and good old sweat, it finally pays off. The feeling is great.

So................., the Question is: what jumps is everyone working on, and how are we all doing? Or if you are working on spins, how is it coming along.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
First, Congrats on your first triple:clap: I hope I can get to that level eventually.
My goal this summer is to land the 2F and 2L (a 2R would be nice to) I've rotated all of them and came down on 1 foot but I always end up on my butt. I'm also trying to get either a 2S-2T/R or a 1A-2T/R so I can take my Jr. Silver freeskate test over the summer or early next fall at the latest.

Simoner119

Rinkside
Congratulations!! that is amazing you should be really proud. How long had you been working on the double Axel double toe combo? Ive been working on my single Axel for forever and a year. Ive landed a couple but lost it recently....its frustrating so its great that your having such success with your jumps.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Hi Princess-Ice!

I think you and me are working on the same stuff. I landed my first clean triple about 2 weeks ago and I am just getting my double axel consistent. I can't wait to start working on another triple... by toe loop is my worst jump, so it will probably be the flip. and yeah.... it's SO NICE to get to this point! Congrats on your accomplishments! :clap::biggrin:

princess-ice

Rinkside
Congratulations!! that is amazing you should be really proud. How long had you been working on the double Axel double toe combo? Ive been working on my single Axel for forever and a year. Ive landed a couple but lost it recently....its frustrating so its great that your having such success with your jumps.

I've been working on the double Axel since December 2007 and I got it consistent at the beginning of June, so my coach told me to practice adding the double toe at the end. Both those jumps could still be tighter in the air and even higher. That's what I love about figure skating, every spin can be cleaner, footwork could always have more extension, and jumps can always be tighter and higher!!

By the way, when you get your Axel consistent, you'll be on your way to doubles - yay!! ;)

skatergirl45

On the Ice
Congrats!

I am working on my double loop which I can sometimes land.
In my program is double toe, double sal, and axels.

I am still pluging away on my layback(and have been for about 2.5 years) but it is still not there yet.

My goals this summer are to get my double loop and skate clean in competition.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
So................., the Question is: what jumps is everyone working on, and how are we all doing? Or if you are working on spins, how is it coming along.
Since I am an adult skater (49 yrs old) I am not working on any triples or doubles for that matter. However I am working on the flip jump and camel spin. I get around fine on the flip jump but my free leg is just hanging out there so when I land it is not on one foot. My camel spins are doing fine. Some days I can do the camel spin better then other days.

Congrats on all you youngsters that have landed your doubles and triples:clap:

penguin girl

Rinkside
I am also an adult skater and just working to improve my jumps and get my lutz back. I might like to try my axel again someday and maybe a double, but not yet.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Working on cleaning up my double toe, double loop consistent, and double flip (beyond the 4-5 I've ever landed). BTW, I am also an adult

singerskates

On the Ice
Working on cleaning up my loop so that it's 90% or better consistant. Also flip needs to have me land it on 1 foot. Have the rotation but somehow, I don't think I'm getting my landing foot to point the toe pick down so that I land on it first. Finally getting the freeleg to wrap around the landing foot in the air but it pops out quit a bit during the landings of the flip and sometimes on the loop before I'm ready to check the landing.

Camel spin is getting between 1 and 2 revs but at an almost halting rate. I don't know why I don't just fall over during my camel. Instead when I can't seem to rotate anymore, I seem to go into an upright spin for a while 2 to 4 revs and then do a spin exit.

Backspin: don't practice these much so I'm not where I want to be.

Corkscrew: have figured out why I've been travelling around the world lately. It's because of my spin entery where I don't bring my freeleg to come all the way around and to my skating leg. Somehow I just get my freeleg to 2 o'clock instead of 12 o'clock before bringing my free foot to my knee to cross to the left of my skating leg before bringing it down which is causing me to be too much on an inside edge. I'm trying to get rid of this bad habit. It's so hard to get rid of too.

Behind the back catch spin: finally got 3 to 4 revs back but would like at least 6 revs.

Sitspin: need to get lower, remember to point the free foot, straighten the freeleg more. have between 6 to 8 revs.

Brokenleg sitspin: needs more revs; currently have 2 to 3 revs.

Layback: trouble with herniated discs in upper back so I haven't been doing them since 2005.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Working on cleaning up my loop so that it's 90% or better consistant. Also flip needs to have me land it on 1 foot. Have the rotation but somehow, I don't think I'm getting my landing foot to point the toe pick down so that I land on it first. Finally getting the freeleg to wrap around the landing foot in the air but it pops out quit a bit during the landings of the flip and sometimes on the loop before I'm ready to check the landing.

Camel spin is getting between 1 and 2 revs but at an almost halting rate. I don't know why I don't just fall over during my camel. Instead when I can't seem to rotate anymore, I seem to go into an upright spin for a while 2 to 4 revs and then do a spin exit.

Backspin: don't practice these much so I'm not where I want to be.

Corkscrew: have figured out why I've been travelling around the world lately. It's because of my spin entery where I don't bring my freeleg to come all the way around and to my skating leg. Somehow I just get my freeleg to 2 o'clock instead of 12 o'clock before bringing my free foot to my knee to cross to the left of my skating leg before bringing it down which is causing me to be too much on an inside edge. I'm trying to get rid of this bad habit. It's so hard to get rid of too.

Behind the back catch spin: finally got 3 to 4 revs back but would like at least 6 revs.

Sitspin: need to get lower, remember to point the free foot, straighten the freeleg more. have between 6 to 8 revs.

Brokenleg sitspin: needs more revs; currently have 2 to 3 revs.

Layback: trouble with herniated discs in upper back so I haven't been doing them since 2005.

When I started skating, I couldn't spin for the life of me. I don't know if this works for everyone, but I know it helped me with my revolutions on all my spins. First was working on the oblique muscles... just lay flat on the floor and but your arms straight above you so they are roughly above your neck/chin and hold a weight... then let your arms drop to the side and use your oblique and stomach muscles to rotate you back to your original position. The other was a circular balance board that allows you to spin. Just hop on it, wind up and go. You can practice a lot of the spinning positions on it too, but it really did help with my revolutions. Just my 2 cents!

skatergirl45

On the Ice
My coach told me I should work more on skating into the ice. I know there was some talk about how Johnny did not do taht until this year.
Does anyone have any advice on how to work on that?

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
My coach told me I should work more on skating into the ice. I know there was some talk about how Johnny did not do taht until this year.

Hmm... skating into the ice... in a way it's like skating deeper into the ice, using your edges, etc. instead of just gliding on top of it. A good example of skating into the ice is Shizuka Arakawa... try watching her LP from the Oly's and compare it to say... Sasha Cohen, who is a great skater, but lacks that skating into the ice (in my opinion). It's really something you need to see for yourself than can be explained. But a good way to start is almost to think of, while you are skating, you weigh yourself down with your shoulders and relax them so they pull you into the ice. And strength, deep edges.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Watch Kwan, Boitano, Hamill, Witt, Orser, Harding, and Kerrigan - they all skate into the ice. It's about soft knees, deep edge, and relaxed shoulders with tight abs.

passion

On the Ice
Watch Kwan, Boitano, Hamill, Witt, Orser, Harding, and Kerrigan - they all skate into the ice. It's about soft knees, deep edge, and relaxed shoulders with tight abs.

And it's also about rising on the knees to during a turn.

vlaurend

Final Flight

Skating "into the ice" means bending your knees deeply, keeping your butt low, and really pressing your blade deep into the ice on every edge. When you skate "on top of the ice" it means your knees are stiff, not bent, and you are not pressing into the ice with your blades.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
I guess skating into the ice is almost like you having mastery over the ice as opposed to skating on top of the ice in which the ice controls you. (Just as a generic meaning). When skaters skate into the ice, the shoulder is relaxed and the knees are bent, the edges are deep... which really does gives you control, instead of being at the whims of bumps and grooves in the ice. When you just skate on top of it, you are really just performing the motions without those extra elements (mentioned above), leaving you at the will of the bobbles and bumps in the ice. That's my point of view at least.

I can't say that I'm the master of skating into the ice. I think that to truly accomplish it, it takes years and years of practicing proper techniques and truly understanding the physics (maybe on a subconscious level) of skating.

But for first suggestions, you should start with relaxing your shoulders so that they almost weigh you down and push you into the ice. This will give you nice stroking that really does go into the ice, as they say.

Next I would focus on the deep knee bends with proper posture (keeping the booty low), again weighing you down so you create deep edges instead of just gliding on top.

Lastly, I would practice on when to straighten the knees to become light on the ice and when to deeply bend them. For example, turns. The raising and elevating of your knees so that you continue to have excellent deep edges, but know when to rise above to make a turn simple and not to exaggerated. (I hope that makes sense!)

Also, by weighing down, I mean by doing these things, it really pushes you into the ice, not making you a fat toad! hehe.

skateskate24958

Spectator
sweet! i love that feeling!
im 14 and have been skating for 6 years.
the past 2 my doubles have been horrible! i must've fallen like 100 times a session.
so finally,OUT OF NOWHERE 2 months ago i just finally land my double flip, three days later i get the double lutz, then the double lutz combonations and everything.
i feel like all of my falling has paid off!
now my double axel and triple salchow are at best, two footed. i cheat it by a quarter rotation only when im not thinking. i've done the triple salchow a couple times landed, but not consistent.

i cant even begin to imagine falling that much in one practice anymore! its hard to picture myself only able to land 3 doubles. double salchow, double loop, and a very bad version of a double toeloop (which by the way, also straightened out when i got the flip). i pretty much dream about jumps now.

it was definitely a self esteem booster :p
i prettymuch doubled my self esteem and decreased my falling by 90%.

i love that feeling!

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
sweet! i love that feeling!
im 14 and have been skating for 6 years.
the past 2 my doubles have been horrible! i must've fallen like 100 times a session.
so finally,OUT OF NOWHERE 2 months ago i just finally land my double flip, three days later i get the double lutz, then the double lutz combonations and everything.
i feel like all of my falling has paid off!
now my double axel and triple salchow are at best, two footed. i cheat it by a quarter rotation only when im not thinking. i've done the triple salchow a couple times landed, but not consistent.

i cant even begin to imagine falling that much in one practice anymore! its hard to picture myself only able to land 3 doubles. double salchow, double loop, and a very bad version of a double toeloop (which by the way, also straightened out when i got the flip). i pretty much dream about jumps now.

it was definitely a self esteem booster :p
i prettymuch doubled my self esteem and decreased my falling by 90%.

i love that feeling!

Congrats! :clap::clap::clap: You sound really talented.