Mao confirms Tarasova as her coach | Golden Skate

Mao confirms Tarasova as her coach

sorcerer

Final Flight
Nihon-TV has just aired Mao's press conference confirming T.Tarasova as her coach this coming season.
She's been coachless for half a year.
Mao says she's the only one this year that TT made LP for.
The TV also revealed her LP to be "Masquerade" by Khachaturian.

Read also
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/news/20080624-OYT1T00464.htm
where it says her new SP is "Clair de Lune" by Debussy.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nihon-TV has just aired Mao's press conference confirming T.Tarasova as her coach this coming season.
OMG, what a match!! I can't wait to see her programs.

Dee

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Didn't Mao leave her last coach to be able to train back home in Nagoya? If so, will TT just be her part-time coach?
It seems like a great match though!

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
:rock: that is a great coach choice for her. How funny, I cant wait to tell my boyfriend that this is who she chose considering he thought thats who she would be great with. I cant wait to see Mao's new programs. I wish her the best this upcoming season:love:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
This made my day!!! Every Mao fan should be jumping for joy.

I can't wait to see her SP. Clair de Lune is a PERFECT choice. I am glad to hear that she did not pick Chopin again, but stayed very much true to her style.

I am a little skeptical of "Masquerade" for her LP. It really depends on which parts she uses. The waltz (which Domina and Shabalin used last season and Jeremey Abbot used a bit of it for his LP) is great, but very strong, powerful music. I can't picture Mao skating to it. However there are some beautiful selections from the "Nocturne" and "Romance" parts.

feraina

Record Breaker
That's a great match! And I love "Claire de Lune", it will suit her wonderfully.

Icenetwork said she's still going to be based out of Japan, but travel to Moscow to receive coaching from Tarasova. That worries me a little. Japan is farther from Moscow than from California!

More than likely, it will be the Waltz in the Masquerade Suite. Jeremy Abbott used it in last Worlds. He did fine with it. He knows how to keep the pace of a waltz. We'll see if Mao can waltz.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Don't know who her tech coach will be. However, she already started working on correcting the edges and has made a good progress on it. Obviously, Shizuka Arakawa didn't think it wouldn't be too hard for Mao to fix it.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
IMO this is One Giant Step for Mao toward gold in 2010 if she and TT click.

Last edited:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
IMO this is One Giant Step for Mao toward gold in 2010 if it she and TT click.

I agree. I think Mao knows exactly what she is doing, and TT has coached to Olympic gold in three out of the four disciplines; I am sure she would love to add the fourth, and with Mao's talent that is more than possible. I also expect that at this point in time, TT has totally caught up on the new scoring system. TT has said that she did not want to do all that travelling any more, so this arrangement may be ideal for her.

kandidy

Final Flight
Good for her.
I am not used to the Masquerade piece. Any youtube links?

Last edited:

kasia16

On the Ice
Wow! This is fantastic news. I love both of her music choices & think TT would be perfect for her :clap:

saltypig

Rinkside
I think this is excellent news for Mao and her fans, bad news for the other ladies and their fans. But this is no guarantee that she will win the Olympics, a lot can happen between now and then. The last four ladies Olympic winners have been somewhat of a surprise for most of us.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I am a bit concerned about the geographic distance as well as her coaching availability when she is in Japan.

Icenetwork said she's still going to be based out of Japan, but travel to Moscow to receive coaching from Tarasova. That worries me a little. Japan is farther from Moscow than from California!

How many hours does it take by flight? I wasn't aware that Moscow was that far. I had felt that California was far away across the Pacific Ocean whereas Russia was a neighbor country of Japan; but actually it was so vast!

But a possible positive outcome is that perhaps Mao will become very used to international travels and jet lags. That could be an advantage.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I am a bit concerned about the geographic distance as well as her coaching availability when she is in Japan.

How many hours does it take by flight? I wasn't aware that Moscow was that far. I had felt that California was far away across the Pacific Ocean whereas Russia was a neighbor country of Japan; but actually it was so vast!

But a possible positive outcome is that perhaps Mao will become very used to international travels and jet lags. That could be an advantage.

Having randomly googled and then found a wiki answer site (which may prove to be costly to my productivity at work today :biggrin:) Flight time from Tokyo to Moscow is 10 hourse compared to the 11hr18 from Tokyo to LA. Not much difference really.

Ant