Brian Boitano - Q&A | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Brian Boitano - Q&A

discoduck

On the Ice
IIRC, Orser has made similar statements in the last couple of years saying their friendship really started AFTER the olympics, he gave the same reasoning - they were competitors first....

He did. I remember reading that. Also in the article, Boitano was talking about the media during the Olympics. I've heard both men say that they became friends after Calgary when they were touring together, etc.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I can't imagine any rivalry where the skaters are actually close friends, I don't think you could truly have the right mentality if you were great friends...

which is why it always surprises me when I read Scott's book about the pact he made with Orser and Jumpin Joe about the 84 Olympics... I'm sure they toasted each other, but each guy was looking at the others going 'but Im gonna be the one with Gold around my neck' :laugh:

isk82

On the Ice
I have read and heard more than one Brian interview where he has said that he and Orser weren't friends during the Olympics, but friendship developed afterwards. He may not have worded it exactly the same in this interview. I don't say things the exact same way everytime I answer a question either.

No one seems to have abandoned Orser due to his private life that became public. At least not that I've heard of.