Dreams on Ice 2008 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Dreams on Ice 2008

Medusa

Record Breaker
It's not just you! Although I'm always blinded by his hotness to be completely objective;)

^May be true for me too. I don't want to sound shallow - but he is... well...

Does anybody know if Kawaguchi decided to change her citizenship? They are not the most harmonious pair on ice, but I think they have a certain charm and I enjoy their innovative moves.

eleonora.d

On the Ice
Thanks for the link...

Is it just me, or does A. Smirnov have really good basic skating skills? He is so fluid over the ice, some male pair skaters look a lot less effortless. Smirnov also keeps looking very fluid and effortless during the lifts (wasn't the last lift of the program spectacular?).

I heard from Eurosport Italy commentators that many skaters asked for Smirnov as pair partner,including Julia Obertas when she was considering about searching for another partner instead of Slavnov.

I don't know how this thread turned to Smirnov, but I could add my two cents.

First, I want to know why he is not with the Kirov or Bolshoi Ballets? Was he rejected? It doesn't show on the ice. if there is one skater who is ballet on ice, it is he.

Not difficult to imagine him and Rena Innoue winning the 2010 Olys. Isn't it obvious?

Joe

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Guys usually feel uncomfortable when forced to talk about Smirnov. But not you, Joe.

nippponophile

Rinkside
Not as great as TT but KM (Kenji Miyamoto) did a fantastic job on Daisuke's SP choreo as well.
KM choreographed Dai's last season EX "Bachelorette" which I also think is a masterpiece.

Daisuke Takahashi "Eye"
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=p4bhHxOdYbo

Right there with you, aaron. I was wondering what Daisuke would come out with next after such an iconic SP last season, but I was really excited to see "Eye" for the first time, and am sure I'm going to continue enjoying watching it as the season goes on. The choreography really suits Dai's dramatic,passionate personal style and speed. I believe Dai and Kenji are a skating dream team, and am hoping that Miyamoto is going to do Dai's FP as well, because in my book, Daisuke's "Bachelorette" EX program is the most captivating, gorgeous thing I have ever seen on ice.

fairly4

Medalist
the reason i stated thatmaos was off was because all i paid attention to was the music. you don't go to a movie to pay attention to the music, if all you hear is the music than you miss the dialog, the script, it overpowers the film. even in ballet music should be used as background noise. you like the ballet you pay attention to how they move to the music so the music becomes 2nd nature where you barely hear it or notice it .not where music is number 1 and the movements become secondary--it what is noticed with maos. i only heard the music and ignored or couldn't get into what she was skating or how. which is why it was out of zinc to me. that is why i didn't like it. her movements were more expressive but for me to no end. the music overpowered her skating. where as miki much to my surprised she skated to the /with the music so the music was secondary hardly noticable so you paid attention to her good skating.

btw has anyone seen Oda's Carmen. Quite lyrical and good.

and Weir's weird jazz(?) number looking like Yagudin should have done it?

Medusa

Record Breaker
and Weir's weird jazz(?) number looking like Yagudin should have done it?

This is what you said about the same exhibition, when he did it at the show in Seoul:

Johnny's Bluesy number was perfect. He's really come of age.

Joe

But I have to agree in Japan it didn't look as good as it did in Seoul - he was lacking speed and seemed tired. I heard that he went back to Ave Maria for the last show in Japan (the one that wasn't broadcasted) and got a standing ovation.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Is Johnny Feeling Good?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=welRcsJGSMw

there's the link to Johnny's jazz number if anybody did not see it.

okay. I was trying really hard to be gafaw during this number as much as I LOVE that song. :love:

1st... I never thought he was going to try and do an Evan impersonation! All black? Black glove? he even attempted the lengthy twizzles! (and didn't do the best job). I gotta say it was nice not to see him in a diffrent outfit!

bottom line, he looked like a fish out of water. Ave Maria was perfect and he only performed it at Nationals as far as I know. why change?

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
When Johnny first skated this Exhibition number Feeling Good by NS it was
in May 2008 at the Festa on Ice in Korea. I would highly recommend that you watch that performance to see Johnny at his best. Oh yeah and he wears white.

When Johnny first skated this Exhibition number Feeling Good by NS it was
in May 2008 at the Festa on Ice in Korea. I would highly recommend that you watch that performance to see Johnny at his best. Oh yeah and he wears white.
That was the one I praised. Completely different from Dreams.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
That was the one I praised. Completely different from Dreams.

I would rather see him copy Evan than wear that hideous white thing! But the skating was great. He really felt the music there and seemed to connect to the crowd, something he rarely did in the past. I do feel that the jazzy, sassy style was a good idea... try and branch out into something new, and I love that song, but it is not a good match. He skates to the music, but ignores the lyrics.