Mao vs Yuna? | Golden Skate

Mao vs Yuna?

fairskating01

Spectator

i don't really think it's a good idea to compare those two, but to me Yu-na's skating is more natural and flowy than Mao's, but i do admire Mao's power and ability to do jumps near the end of the program!

And i personally think that Yu-na's 2006/2007 gala was the best I've ever seen.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Both skaters are incredibly talented, it comes down to which style you prefer. Both skaters at their best are absolutly breathtaking. IMHO they are the 2 best female skaters ever.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I by far prefer the style of Yu-Na and feel that her programs, musical interpretation, expressions, presentation, flow, and quality of technique exceed that of Mao. I really appreciate the sensitive, delicate quality of Yu-Na's skating and find it enormously pleasing to watch. I will forever be in awe of Mao's fierce determination and the technical difficulty she is able to achieve. What a fighter she is! What I find not as pleasing about Mao's style is her tendency to be bouncy when she is skating, almost giving the impression that she is pumping her back when stroking. Her arms are not as beautiful to watch for me as Yu-Na's are and her facial expressions have a tendency to be stoic. To me, her basic skating is just not as smooth as Yu-Na's and so many of Mao's jump landings are questionable with the wrong edges, the two-footings, and the possibility for downgrades. Both are unquestionably the top 2 ladies in the world currently and both are immensely talented skaters. It's always exciting to watch them!

Wrlmy

Medalist
Comparison does no service to neither of them. But if anyone can combine Mao's flexibility and Yu-Na's arms, that would be something.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Comparison does no service to neither of them. But if anyone can combine Mao's flexibility and Yu-Na's arms, that would be something.

Honestly I agree, I think Mao and Yu-na are in someways mirror images of each other. But if you could combine both girls into one skater. That Skater would be the Greatest Skater Ever.

I like Mao on Monday; YuNa on Tuesday and leave it to the judges to decide the better of the two on Wedenesday.

Joe

M

myasada

I don't think it's a good idea to compare those two, either.

fourclover

On the Ice
And i personally think that Yu-na's 2006/2007 gala was the best I've ever seen.

I think the gala at Trophee Eric Bompard was the best one she performed to 'Reflections'. I'm a very critical observer and I found her other performances of that number less than fluid or sloppier than the one in Paris. Although I consider myself a fan of Yu-na skating, I don't find all of her performances equally great. In fact, I thought her SP at 2007 Worlds in Tokyo were overmarked - I thought she skated rather sloppily than her usual self and I could tell she wasn't fit either. Anyway, although many of you might disagree with me, I thought Mao was better when she was 14 and 15 in expressing herself. I just saw her SP to Carmen in 2005 and she skates like she's not holding anything back, so carefree and CHARMING. I remember Dick Button and some other lady commentator (not Peggy) saying how immature Mao's skating is and she's just a 'very talented jumper' back when Mao was 14 or 15. But, I totally disagreed with them then. Mao skated like she had no limit, going out there all the way. Now, she's become very 'reticent' in terms of skating and not so natural anymore. When I see Yu-na's skate back in 2005, her skating was very stiff, like a robot with abrupt jumps here and there, but she's skating more naturally now.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
For ages I prefered Yu-Na by far because she's so graciouse and emmotional and because I found Mao boring. However, now I feel it's a tougher call as mao has turned into a truly brilliant skater

Mao is very powerful, she's got a strong character.
Yu-Na is graciouse.

They're very different but both great.

skatergirl45

On the Ice
The only way they are similar is that they are 2 teenagers who have excelled at skating!

and they compare in the way that people love to compare them! :rofl:

passion

On the Ice
The skating world is so blessed to have two extraordinarily talented ladies who excel in artistry and technique.

lcd

Match Penalty
They are both exceptional. Here's to hoping their bodies will both hold up... Yu Na's especially given her history of back injuries.

Who will be the bigger "star"? Even though they can both count on being "superstars" in their respective countries (given how popular skating is in Japan and seems to be becoming in Korea), I think a key will be "who can learn to speak English better, sooner".... think Katarina Witt after Sarajevo... (um... lovely, but who?) vs. Calgary... "Carmen speaks!"

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
I think it's almost unfair to compare them outside of competition. They are both wonderfully talented skaters that most people would cut their arm off to be able to skate like them. But as they say, ice is always slippery and accidents can happen, that's why we have competitions to see who holds up under pressure and under different physical circumstances as opposed to who gives in.

As well as being a figure skater, I'm a trapeze artist. I have the honor of performing with many other brilliantly talented people... but sometimes people make the catch and sometimes they fall into the net. It has nothing to do with the talent they have, just the circumstances and the pressure. Every single time you perform a trick, it is different... whether it be the speed of the approach, the length of the swing, etc. It's about subconsciously or sometimes consciously understanding the difference between the physics and situation you are in to perform a perfect routine.

It's the same with figure skating... equal talent can be present, but sometimes you just miss that extra understanding of what is different on the ice this time as opopsed to what you have practiced on and the situation you have practiced in.

Mao and Yu-na should both be applauded for their talents, perserverence, and effort, whether they win or lose, fall or skate cleanly. I think everyone here knows that both skaters have the talent and ability to rock the women's figure skating world, but sometimes you just don't make the catch. So a brava to them both.