Liberty info and other summer competitions in the U.S. and Canada | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Liberty info and other summer competitions in the U.S. and Canada

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Here's a preview article about the Liberty summer competition this week: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080715&content_id=49347&vkey=ice_news
Among those scheduled to compete are reigning Canadian champion Patrick Chan, who won the senior men's event here last season, landing his first-ever triple Axel in competition; 2007 U.S. bronze medalist Alissa Czisny; reigning U.S. bronze medalist Ashley Wagner, who is expected to compete in the senior ladies short program event; and Amanda Evora and Mark Ladwig, fifth in pairs at the 2008 U.S. Figure Skating Championships.
I believe this is Alissa Czisny's first-ever trip to Liberty.

Competition schedule (Tue. July 15-Sat. July 19) on the host club's site: http://www.libertyskating.org/LibertyNews.html#schedule

Here's an unofficial list of just some of the skaters (most are in the U.S. team envelopes) that I've heard are scheduled to compete at Liberty this week.

Skaters scheduled for the Senior Grand Prix:
Patrick Chan (CAN), Jeremy Abbott, Ryan Bradley, Brandon Mroz, Rachael Flatt, Ashley Wagner (SP only here), Alissa Czisny, Evora/Ladwig

Scheduled for JGP for the USA:
Ladies--Melissa Bulanhagui, Becky Bereswill, Alexe Gilles, Brittney Rizo, Kristine Musademba, Marissa Secundy (all will compete Senior at Liberty except for Secundy, not sure about Rizo yet)
Men (all will compete Junior at Liberty)--Armin Mahbanoozadeh, Curran Oi, Keegan Messing, Alexander Johnson
Pairs--Castelli/Shnapir

Sr. Men, cont.: Shaun Rogers, Tommy Steenberg, Douglas Razzano, Viktor Pfeifer (AUT)...
Sr. Ladies, cont.: Blake Rosenthal...
Jr. Men, cont.: Grant Hochstein, Ross Miner...
Sr. Pairs: Evora/Ladwig, Katz/Lynch, Moscovitch/Moscovitch (CAN), Paulin/Shales (CAN)...
Jr. Pairs: Tanovich/Chau, Castelli/Shnapir, Moore-Towers/Evans (CAN), Jones/Gaskell (CAN)...

Check the Liberty club site for official results to be published (hopefully) during and after the competition (how often the site is updated will depend on how busy the club volunteers and competition officials are this week).

skatergirl45

On the Ice
Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOO much Sylvia!!!!
Can't wait to here reports!!
Isn't Victor Pfeifer competiting for the US because I think he competed at Regionals last year or has he switched back??

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOO much Sylvia!!!!
Can't wait to here reports!!
Isn't Victor Pfeifer competiting for the US because I think he competed at Regionals last year or has he switched back??

Pfeifer is back competing for Austria. He was 3rd at South Altantic Regionals, but finished 8th at Eastern Sectionals. I guess he realized how difficult it was to just make it to Nationals in the US.

lcd

Match Penalty
Does anybody know if there will be videos from the event? Not bootleg (like last year of select skaters)... I mean... like Icenetwork...?

sillylionlove

Medalist
I was hoping to go to Liberty tomorrow since I live about 45 minutes away. But it's the hubby's bday and I forgot about it (YIKES!!) and we have to do what he wants...and skating is not one of those things. Maybe next year!!

Last edited:

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Don't really like that music for Rachael. It does nothing to highlight her strengths, and makes her lack of extension and her poor posture really obvious. She needs something more upbeat and fun, and less dainty.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
SENIOR PAIRS SP (Thursday night)
58.36 Evora/Ladwig
46.20 Moscovitch/Moscovitch (CAN)
43.13 Paulin/Shales (CAN)
40.46 Denney/Barrett

Friday's Senior results...

SENIOR PAIRS FS
99.36 Evora/Ladwig
85.32 Moscovitch/Moscovitch (CAN)
72.74 Paulin/Shales (CAN)

SENIOR MEN SP (jump notes for top 10 with reference to the detailed protocol)
68.55 Bradley - 4t-3t, 2a(hand down?), 3z
66.00 Rogers - 4t-2t, 3z, 3a(landed pitched forward)
63.59 Chan (CAN) - 3a, 3f-3t(fall), 3z
59.70 Oi - 3a, 3f-3t, 1z
59.31 Abbott - 4t fall, 1a, 3z; highest PCS score
57.51 Razzano - 3a, 3f(flip out, no combo), 3z
54.82 Raad - 3a fall, 3f-3t, 3z
52.92 Cassar - 3f-2t, 2a(fall out), 3z< fall; 5th highest PCS score
52.23 Pfeifer (AUT) - 3f-3t, 2a, 1z
51.19 Messing - 2a, 4s< fall/no combo, 3z
50.53 Mroz
49.45 Russell (CAN)
49.36 Varner
47.61 Wong
46.58 Crowley
44.72 Brewster
42.51 Metivier (CAN)
38.27 Mueller
36.71 Chastain
34.41 Povzikov (CAN)
24.76 Gordon

SENIOR LADIES SP A (jump notes for top 6 with reference to the detailed protocol)
59.29 Wagner - 3z-2r, 3f, 2a
50.93 Gilles - 1f, 3z-2t, 2a
50.65 Rizo - 3z< fall, 3t-3t, 2a
49.31 Forte - 3z-2t, 2a, 3s
46.74 Bereswill - 3f-2t, 3z< fall, 2a
44.58 Musademba - 3f-2t, 3z fall, 2a
40.11 Legg
39.17 Secundy
37.31 Zhalko-Tytarenko (CAN)
34.22 Melton
29.07 Pflumm
24.09 Hamui (MEX)
23.05 Yee

SENIOR LADIES SP B (jump notes for top 5 with reference to the detailed protocol)
58.94 Flatt - 3f-2r, 3z, 2a
54.88 Rosenthal -3f-2t, 3s, 2a
52.68 Nguyen - 3f-2t, 3z, 2a
49.83 Czisny - 2z-2t, 3f< fall, 2a
44.70 Bulanhagui - 3f< fall, 3z<-2t, 2a
43.71 Kim
41.36 Telecky
40.24 Gendron
36.88 Houston
34.17 Kiang
32.54 Cloutier
30.22 Manzouri
29.07 Zinsmeister
28.02 Brandt

'gloryday' has posted the following 8 home videos from Friday (only a few, select Senior Men and Ladies SP & FS programs will be filmed at Liberty this year):

Ryan Bradley's SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evYRFDycJSQ

Shaun Rogers' SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBz0MrAZDTw

Patrick Chan's SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsrjA-ylSQE

Curran Oi's SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwi6MpdyFKg

Jeremy Abbott's SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6QC9rFaFUk

Rachael Flatt's SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbCu-ZmKV5o

Ashley Wagner's SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZknHnp82n8

Brittney Rizo's SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqQNbPv9IXQ

Message from 'gloryday':
This is all I can get uploaded tonight. (This year they didn't have a camera policy at all at Liberty, so I'm uploading them directly to youtube. I'll get them on fsvids later.) I'm tempted to get some red tape and fix their sign on the boards, though.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
59.31 Abbott - 4t fall, 1a, 3z; highest PCS score

His skating is always very enjoyable to watch... Actually I see Abbott as the most artistic male skater of USA (maybe even of the whole world) these days, he is the only skater that very much reminds me of the great John Curry.

Who is coaching Abbott? I think that he very much needs to find himself a great jump coach (Callaghan?) and quickly! The Olympics are approaching and now is the time if he is ambitious. Otherwise he will just have wonderful artistry, but will not succeed in competitions the way he could do otherwise.

Last edited:
59.29 Wagner - 3z-2r, 3f, 2a
She's ahead of Flatt, with similar jump content.
50.93 Gilles - 1f, 3z-2t, 2a
Good score. She left points onthe table with the flip and still scored 50 points.
54.88 Rosenthal -3f-2t, 3s, 2a
:clap: :clap: This is Blake, not Stephanie, right?
52.68 Nguyen - 3f-2t, 3z, 2a
Who is this skater? Someone to be on the lookout for?
49.83 Czisny - 2z-2t, 3f< fall, 2a
:cry: Just not meant to be, I guess.

Rachael Flatt is determined to get to the Olys. She has to be a workaholic. Saw no underrotations, jumps high, speed to the music, feel for the music, any put downs, she will correct immediately.

True, she is no Audrey Hepburn. Only one skater can measure up to that, imo, and that is Vikka Volchkova.

Will be watching the youtubes, thank Sylvia for everything.

Saw the results. Not surprised with Abbot dunking but superior in PCS.

Must watch Secundy. She was my pick last season.

So many skaters that I have seen and found promising but land up on the bottom half. Oh Well, It's very early season and it is so hot and humid on the East Coast. Any way these guys and gals get a chance to tweek.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jaana, Jeremy Abbott is coached by Tom Zakrajsek, the same coach as Rachael Flatt, Ryan Bradley, and formerly Ann Patrice McDonough. I agree that he is the most artistic US man and personally, I would rank him in the top 3 artistically in the world, along with Stephane Lambiel and Jeffrey Buttle. Abbott reminds me a lot of Matt Savoie and, coincidentally, they share the same choreographer in Tom Dickson. If he could get a firm grasp on the consistency of his 4toe and his 3Axel, there's no question in my mind that he would be in podium position at Worlds and Olympics. He has to skate a clean/solid short program and a clean/solid long program though and that is a difficult task for any skater, not just Jeremy Abbott. :)

emma

Record Breaker
Rachael Flatt is determined to get to the Olys. She has to be a workaholic. Saw no underrotations, jumps high, speed to the music, feel for the music, any put downs, she will correct immediately.

True, she is no Audrey Hepburn. Only one skater can measure up to that, imo, and that is Vikka Volchkova.

Will be watching the youtubes, thank Sylvia for everything.

I agree - fantastic outing. My only nitpick - I'd like to see Rachel open her shoulders more - really stretch her upper body more. Other than that, she looks good and is very, very pleasant to watch.

I have to say, I was totally :love::love: with Wagner. Maybe I don't know her skating well enough, but this struck me as an unexpected change - or sign of versality - soft, flowing, really pretty to watch. I think the program is very nicely choreographed too and she seemed so at ease with it so early in the season. I'm starting to think we are going to have two US ladies nationals in a row that will be nail biting intense competitions...and I look forward to it!

Thanks for the updates and links!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I really liked Racheal's SP. Jumps were solid as a rock, i enjoyed a lot of the choreography and some of her positions in the begining were very pretty. She seems very comfortable in it for such a new program.

only one thing bothers me... this girl should be wearing over the boot tights for a competition. somebody that short should be wearing something that extends the leg line. and i hope she will get a new dress for the GP... the one she was wearing was last year's dress.