Happy Independence Day..a little early | Golden Skate

Happy Independence Day..a little early

sillylionlove

Medalist
I wanted to wish everyone here in the US a happy and safe Independence Day. I am sending this early for those that are going away or won't be around a computer.

Some trivia for the 4th of July.

Only one signature,John Hancock as president of the Continental Congress, was placed on the declaration of independence on 7/4/1776. The rest were placed on there on August 1776 with the last being added on January 1777.

The rumor is that the reason John Hancock's signature is so much larger then everyone else's is that he wanted to make sure that the not so well sighted British King could see it.

John Adams was asked to write the Declaration of Independence but gave the task to Thomas Jefferson during the continental congress because Jefferson was a more eloquent writer then he was. It was edited and revised by Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson.

So there is some trivia that you can amaze your family and friends with at your BBQ's this weekend.

(Can you tell I am reading John Adams biography right now...and no I have not seen the miniseries..I prefer to read the book first).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
knew all of those... had a great 8th Grade US History Teacher.

Thanks for the History lesson, I knew none of those things!

july4th_23.gifjuly4th_36.gifjuly4th_25.gif
july4th_27.gifjuly4th_22.gif

I'm going to the Phillies game on the evening of the 4th!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I knew some of these, but thanks! :party:

Happy 4th of July!

Have fun at the Phillies game, NJSK8Fan! :biggrin:

skatergirl45

On the Ice
I'll add my own.
Jefferson was having problems writing but some guy(don't remember his name) invited his wife to where ever Jefferson was staying. Her presence helped him to write it.........
Also 128.8 million dollars worth of fireworks inported from China.
It was first celebrated in 1777 in Philadelphia with firecrackers.

One last one. There are some peole who think that the official food of America should be changed from apple pie to Ch inese food. The reason, when was the last time you had apple pie? when was the last time you had chinese food? lol

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Everyone have a great and safe 4th!!!
fireworks04.gif

flag-glitter.gif

Dee