What Would Brian Boitano Do? | Golden Skate

What Would Brian Boitano Do?

S

SkateFan4Life

Ladies and Gentlement of this message board --

I apologize for posting the "What Would Brian Boitano Do" thread.
I scanned through just the first three paragraphs, and it sounded like a cute little ditty about the great Brian Boitano.

However -- after reading the entire "poem", I clearly saw that the author got off on a rather nasty tangent, with some off-color words, etc. Obviously, this kind of stuff does not belong on this very nice message board.

I do not advocate this kind of junk. Please disregard the original post.

Thanks!

SkateFan4Life

:cry:

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
SkateFan4Life,

I take it you are not familiar with 'South Park'. This song is from the movie 'South Park-Bigger, Longer, Uncut'. I think Brian Boitano got a kick out of this song - so much that he did a number to it one year in his Holiday Spectacular show. 'South Park' (both the show on Comedy Central and the movie) is definitely for adults and not for everyone - I just happen to love its irreverance.

On another note: another song from this movie - 'Blame Canada' - was actually nominted for an Oscar for Best Song.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I love this song, too. I think it's a great compliment to Brian, actually. I
wish I'd been able to see him skate to it.

Laura :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I thought it was funny, but I'm not a *fan* of SP so :p I've never heard it... the title was enough for me to laugh LOL

Blame Canada... Robin Williams performed it on the Oscar stage that year, didn't he?

Antilles

Medalist
After the big power outage last week, Canada was pointing the finger at the US, and the US was pointing the finger at Canada. CNN went so far as to play "Blame Canada" on air.

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
Didn't Brian actually skate to it at one of his shows? The other skaters dressed up like Cartman & Co. and the Brian came skating out triumphantly in his Team USA jacket.

It was pretty hilarious.

Norlite

On the Ice
Antilles said:
After the big power outage last week, Canada was pointing the finger at the US, and the US was pointing the finger at Canada. CNN went so far as to play "Blame Canada" on air.

That's kind of odd. I guess CNN doesn't get the point of the song. Or what the Canadian creators of South Park were implying.

When Brian used this song in his special, the reporters asked him, "But Brian, don't you know that this song is making fun of you?"

Brian answered, "Hey, I'm just glad that somebody thinks I'm famous enough to make fun of!"

Actually, though, I think it's making fun of the phrase WWJD (What would Jesus do?) I don't know how Brian Boitano got into the mix.

Mathman

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Like Idle Racer, I always thought that Brian was a Hero to the South Parkers for beating a Canadian in a well publicized battle. It would be hard to get that impressed by Hamilton since his LP was not as good as Orser's.

dp

Lynn226

On the Ice
Slightly OT . . .

Speaking of the power outage and who is to blame . . .

One of the so-called "American" power companies (I can't remember which one) involved in the power outage is actually owned by the British. Maybe CNN should have done some fact checking before they played the "Blame Canada" song. :rolleye:

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
IIRC a cartoon version of Brian actually appeared several times on the South Park series prior to the release of the movie. So it looks like he's been on Trey & Matt's radar for some time.

I'm fairly sure that any use of "Blame Canada" on CNN was done in complete jest, and I hope we can keep this thread on topic.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I realize "South Park" isn't for everyone but I happen to love it. It's in your face and brutally honest. It's been on the air for six years and still manages to stay fresh and edgy. If I need a good laugh or a twisted view on a current event I always tune in for this show. Like so many shows tend to do, it doesn't take itself too seriously and that is part of the appeal for me. As for the "What Would Brian Boitano Do" song, I thought it was funny and, in a weird way, a compliment. They could have gone several different directions and made it a slam. But, it isn't, its just a fun (completely random) song that fits in with the style of the film and show. LOL...I didn't know Brian skated to this, that is wonderful! I'm glad he took it for what it was.

S

SkateFan4Life

Well, I'm glad to know that nobody out there was offended by this post!

I still dislike the lyrics, but I guess I'm an old fogie in some respects.

:laugh: