Double Axel in Both Directions | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Double Axel in Both Directions

mskater93

Record Breaker
At best, you would most likely get a GOE of zero on the "wrong direction" jump because it's dang near impossible for them to be as good in both directions.

I think what Joe is suggesting is a change in the rules to allow, for instance, a counterclockwise Axel followed immediately by a clockwise one

(a) to be counted as a sequence even if you need an extra little step in between to change feet (hence the two jumps together would only count as one jumping pass), and

(b) to wave the 20% sequence deduction for this type of maneuver, so that each of the two jumps receive 100% of base value instead of 80%.

thanks MM. I don't know why posters do not seem to realize I'm going after a change in the Regulations if not the Rules.

antmanb

Record Breaker
thanks MM. I don't know why posters do not seem to realize I'm going after a change in the Regulations if not the Rules.

Sorry Joe but your posts are often confusing to read and don't apear to have a real point until MM translates into something more concrete :biggrin:

Ant

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
I'd pay a lot of money to see a clockwise double axel into a triple lutz counterclockwise combination... That would be incredible and still count as a combo, since you are landing the double axel on the left outside edge, which could go straight into the triple lutz. :scratch:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
beth, I would pay a lot to see that too. I always hoped Rohene would try it some day....However, it would count less than a 3lz3t, so I suspect we will never see this.

beth, I would pay a lot to see that too. I always hoped Rohene would try it some day....However, it would count less than a 3lz3t, so I suspect we will never see this.
Exactly. As things stand now, the extreme difficulty in jumping in both directions is not considered special, and only skaters who have tried it really know how difficult it is. No special points means disappearing jumps in both directions.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I'd pay a lot of money to see a clockwise double axel into a triple lutz counterclockwise combination... That would be incredible and still count as a combo, since you are landing the double axel on the left outside edge, which could go straight into the triple lutz. :scratch:

Thinking through this combination a little further. Would it really be possible?

If you rotate a clockwise double axel your arms would, prior to and on landing, check strongly anti-clockwise to stop the clockwise rotation to enable you to land the jump, you'd then have to check the arms strongly back clockwise for the counter check for the triple lutz going in the anti-clockwise direction. I would think that balance throughout this would be difficult, could easily result in an edge change, but more importantly wouldn't have the instantaneous action that jump combinations have.

Ant

natalied6579

Spectator
ISI Freestyle 9

I skated with Rohene when he was just starting out at Parade Ice Garden in Minneapolis, at that time it was an ISIA rink, now ISI. Both Rohene and I tested in both systems. ISI Freestyle 9 has a requirement for either a double or single axel in the opposite direction. I believe he ended up testing for all ISI tests so that could be why he can do it so naturally. I think many the ISI tests stress skating skills much more than the competitive track tests do.

lrn2sk8

Spectator
Amazing technic

Rohene Ward is exceptitional in that his technic is almost flawless on both directions: to the left and right. I was able to watch him practice at my home rink one day as he was visiting someone locally. He was amazing, he went through jumps, up to triple axel-right handed, which took about 25 minutes, then he changed direction and went through his practice up to triple lutz left handed, and the only diference was that the right handed jumps were slightly higher.
Rohene is exceptitional in that if he were to skate left handed only, you would still be amazed by his qualitys of technic. His dance background has given him, a manly style, plus great line. Joesitz called him a brilliant performer, I agree. But his competitive career has lacked titles....I wonder if he had concentrated more time to IJS rules of the well-balance program?
If a skater does attempt a manover in their opposite direction it is important that it be seamless and that the quality of movement be natural. Hopefully Bethissoawesome remembers that. It is not just what you do but also how you do it. Goe is the place to make points.