The Olympic Games | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Olympic Games

sillylionlove

Medalist
It was just reported that Sasha Artemev will replace Morgan Hamm.

As for Chelsie Memmel...she apparently injured her ankle in training on Monday and during podium training this week, she has only been doing the bars. However, there are only two women that could go to the all around final and I don't think that the US team would have picked her to go...that's a lock for Shawn and Nastia.

Johar

Medalist
I could just scream with frustration. And cry. It just doesn't seem fair, but that's elit sports for ya.

Alsace

On the Ice
As for Chelsie Memmel...she apparently injured her ankle in training on Monday and during podium training this week, she has only been doing the bars. However, there are only two women that could go to the all around final and I don't think that the US team would have picked her to go...that's a lock for Shawn and Nastia.

The US team would not have a choice about who is going to the all-around final. That is determined by the top two finishers in each team's preliminaries. Chelsie, if healthy, could have knocked one of them out of the all-around.

eliza88

On the Ice
Oh no!!!!!! Not Morgan! I found out about Chelsea Memmel the other day but at least (thus far!) she can compete! If Artemov can do his routines consistantly (yes, this is a big "if") then the US men can still have a shot at the podium. Of course I am always happy to see any outstading athlete from any given country compete!

Bring on the Olympics!

eliza88

sillylionlove

Medalist
The US team would not have a choice about who is going to the all-around final. That is determined by the top two finishers in each team's preliminaries. Chelsie, if healthy, could have knocked one of them out of the all-around.

I don't think that anyone had a change of beating Nastia and Shawn. They are heavily favored to win.

I probably should have been more clean about that in my message. I know that the US doesn't have a choice in picking who goes to the all around.

Johar

Medalist
Equestrian competition. And it's not on at 3 am! :thumbsup:

The equestrian television coverage schedule is as follows:

Date: Program-Time (EST) on Channel
Aug. 9: Eventing: Dressage-2:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. on USA
Aug. 11: Eventing: Cross- Country- 6:00pm-8:00pm OXYGEN
Aug. 12: Eventing: Jumping Team Gold Medal Final-6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m. on OXYGEN
Aug. 13: Dressage-6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m. on OXYGEN
Aug. 14: Dressage Team Gold Medal Final-6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m. on OXYGEN
Aug. 15: Show Jumping-6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m. on OXYGEN
Aug. 16: Dressage Individual - 5:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. MSNBC
Aug. 17: Show Jumping Team Gold Medal Final 1st Round-10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m on NBC
Aug. 18: Show Jumping Team Gold Medal Final Round- 6:00pm-8:00 p.m. OXYGEN
Aug. 19: Dressage Individual Gold Medal Final - 6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m. on OXYGEN
Aug. 21: Show Jumping Individual Gold Medal Final- 10:00am- 1:00 pm on NBC

sillylionlove

Medalist
NBC actually managed to get the IOC to change the gymanastics and swimming shedule to the morming (like 7 am China time) so it could be shown live in the US!! They are 12 hours ahead of the East Coast of the US. If you watch the today show they are televising from China at night and the nightime News is televising from China in the morning.

Today on the Today show they were interviewing Roddy Gaines, who is doing the swimming commentary. He was saying that Michael Phelps was going to have to start his competitions at like 7 in the morning!!! He said that it was a big adjustment for the swimmers.

Lonewolf

On the Ice
NBC actually managed to get the IOC to change the gymanastics and swimming shedule to the morming (like 7 am China time) so it could be shown live in the US!!

Wow, that is nice, to be able to see the event live rather on tape. Does anyone know when this event will take place?

CB1AB2

Medalist
I was totally impressed with everything = thought the lighting of the torch was awesome = that guy flying around the stadium was something else == the guys playinng the drums were so precise and insync == it was a great opening cermony == I could go on and on but I'll stop now

Lonewolf

On the Ice
Although I was not able to see all of the opening ceremony, but what I saw was amazing. I especially found the movable type, that kept spelling harmony, was absolutely amazing. I was sure it was accomplished through the use of a computer, but was surprised that each movable type cube had a person inside. What an accomplishment......

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
China sure knows how to put on a show. Beautiful opening ceremony. I loved the huge lantern with the dancer on it that turned into a globe. So awesome. Sarah Brightman was a nice surprise too!

heyang

Record Breaker
Definitely one of the best Olympic opening ceremonies. It was a great blend of the traditional (drummers, painting, tai chi, acrobats, fireworks) with the modern (LED floor and scrim, lighting techniques). The precision of the 2008 drummers and the 2008 tai chi experts was amazing. I loved the story of the little boy who survived the earthquake, pulled himself out of the wreckage and stayed to help 2 of his classmates because he was the hall monitor and it was his job to help keep people safe.

I saved it to DVD since I heard how awesome it would be. I think my favorite torch lighting is stil 92 Alberville arrow or Ali lighting the torch in LA. China's does rank up there though for theatricality.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think my favorite torch lighting is still 92 Albertville arrow or Ali lighting the torch in LA. China's does rank up there though for theatricality.

I think you mean the 1992 Barcelona Opening Ceremonies. That's when the torch was lit by the arrow. :) That was gorgeous too. :bow:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Congrats to M. Phelps for his first Gold. :bow::clap::yes: may it be the first of many!

It had to be the most exciting Relay in decades. I really think the French were the better team but that Jason was a hero for the weaker American team. JMO.