The Olympic Games | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The Olympic Games

emma

Record Breaker
It had to be the most exciting Relay in decades. I really think the French were the better team but that Jason was a hero for the weaker American team. JMO.

That relay was amazing - no one covers that kind of gap in a sprint - it was electric, and I'm so, so glad I saw it!!!

sillylionlove

Medalist
That really was the best relay ever. I think the french guy really put his foot in his mouth by saying that they were there to smash the americans and they really didn't.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
That really was the best relay ever. I think the french guy really put his foot in his mouth by saying that they were there to smash the americans and they really didn't.

They came really close though, for a moment there, I thought Phelps wouldn't have his eight golds.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I have a question about swimming relay teams. If a different swimmer helps the relay team qualify for the final and that team wins a medal, do just the four swimmers in the final receive medals, or do the other team members who helped the team qualify receive medals as well? Thanks.............42

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
All swimmers who compeated in the relay at any point in the competetion get medals if the team wins one.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Thank you, Silverblades........that's what I was hoping......42

I really felt good about Jason Lezak getting his first Olympic medal, a bronze. He'll have that for the rest of his life. After all, he deserved something for saving the US team in that first relay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

Medusa

Record Breaker
am I the only one who is really tired of the Michael Phelps love fest? Last time I checked he wasn't the only one on the team (and in that relay he wasn't even the one who saved the day IMHO!) blah.

There are three topics in the US-american media (I mean la times, nyt, sports illustrated, USA today): Phelps, Gymnastics, and the bad bad China

I found that out while I tried to find a report on Shalane Flanagan in the newspapers. She won Bronze for the US in the 10 000 meters today. Which is a fantastic achievement, she has beaten the Kenyans, the Russians and had a fantastic competition. But apparently nobody noticed.

If they can prove that some of the Chinese ladies are underage, that would be a bit of cheating given the age rule. Think Asada in 2006. Not to my liking but most poster then stressed the Rule.

However, I think there is too much fuss over the lipsyncing. It is after all just entertainment. No medals were awarded.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
am I the only one who is really tired of the Michael Phelps love fest? Last time I checked he wasn't the only one on the team (and in that relay he wasn't even the one who saved the day IMHO!) blah.
NBC is annoying.
Toni, Toni, I love Michael. He gives his team mates all the credit. He is great sportsman. Matter of fact I have been thinking of changing my avatar to Michael.

Dee

skatergirl45

On the Ice
I like Micheal, but so many others have won medals at the Olympics. The Olympics are not about how many medals you can win but about trying your best on the world's biggest stage.

Also, how many Americans know that an American qualified for the finals of the stepplechase? How many know what the steeplechase is?

I like Micheal, but so many others have won medals at the Olympics. The Olympics are not about how many medals you can win but about trying your best on the world's biggest stage.

Also, how many Americans know that an American qualified for the finals of the stepplechase? How many know what the steeplechase is?
I have the same problem with posters in figure skating who are not interested in the whole sport (except one division), and ignore upcoming talent in Juniors and Novice, but that's been changing lately. Maybe if there was (is) and Equestrian Forum might give you more discussion to go on.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Toni, Toni, I love Michael. He gives his team mates all the credit. He is great sportsman. Matter of fact I have been thinking of changing my avatar to Michael.

Dee

well I don't see him that way, but more power to his fans... I just get tired of the Olympics coverage being all about his events. There are other sports, and way better stories in the games than Michael Phelps.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Unfortuantely, none of them sell as much as the Michael Phelps story. NBC's ratings increased each day he won another gold.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just get tired of the Olympics coverage being all about his events. There are other sports, and way better stories in the games than Michael Phelps.
Toni, that's not Michael's fault. What has he done that makes you dislike him so much? I did my own research on him and what he has accomplished has touched me so much. I love how he says you can do what you set your mind out to do. When I worked with disable children one of the things I would not allow them to say was I can't before even trying. This is one of the stories about his life that really touched me.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/10/sports/olympics/10Rparent.html?pagewanted=1&_r=3

Another thing I like so much about him is his devotion to his mother and sisters. There is not many times that after he competes does he not go and give his flowers to his mom. The look in the below picture made me cry....because that's how my mom used to look at each of her children. It's almost like he's saying...did I do OK, mom??

Michael%20&%20his%20Mom.bmp

Yes, there were other wonderful stories but the comments made were about Michael and I responded to those comments.

Dee