Fedor Andreev might not be competing next season :-( | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Fedor Andreev might not be competing next season :-(

libby

Match Penalty
Not necessarily. Remember that SOI poll Johnny Weir won like 7 to 1? Still no Johnny Weir in SOI shows. There must be some other criteria for selection as well. I hope Fedor has more luck. And that he's different in some aspects from Johnny. Less flamboyant or something.

Why is it necessary to put Johnny Weir down with a term like "flamboyant" in a thread that does not even have anything to do with him, Hsuhs? It isn't the first time by any means that you have criticized Johnny out of the blue for his character, but it is really inappropriate, particularly here and especially when you seem fixated on this particular aspect of who he is.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
libby
Here's the definition of flamboyant from Merrian Webster:
1often capitalized : characterized by waving curves suggesting flames <flamboyant tracery> <flamboyant architecture>
2: marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior <a flamboyant performer

Neither of these is an insult to Johnny, who is indeed given to elaborate and / or colorful displays and behavior, not to mention having had a costume or two with waving curves on them. In fact, many of us who are Johnny fans love his flamboyance.

However, this is a thread about Fedor.

Johnny should not come into it at all.

libby

Match Penalty
libby
Here's the definition of flamboyant from Merrian Webster:

Neither of these is an insult to Johnny, who is indeed given to elaborate and / or colorful displays and behavior, not to mention having had a costume or two with waving curves on them. In fact, many of us who are Johnny fans love his flamboyance.

And here is the meaning of FLAMBOYANT from the Urban Talk Dictionary, which defines how words are actually used in popular vernacular today:

Flamboyant

The talk meaning is gay
MAN he is is so flamboyant

I am not overreacting, Doris - anyone who has ever held a conversation outside of an English classroom pretty much knows what that word is a euphemism for, and how it is used in popular speak. I personally do not care whether Johnny is or isn't, but since he has made it clear that he wishes to keep that private (and this thread has nothing to do with him anyway), it seems highly inappropriate to me for Hsuhs to need to "hope that Fedor is less so".

Hsuhs

Record Breaker

My post was not so much about Johnny, as it was about SOI policy (because someone else mentioned it above), as I see it. I used Johnny's name in the post only to give an example of it's display. But if it's not allowed, I'll edit my post. I have no problem with that.

I have also updated my ignore list and am not going to to take part in further discussion on the topic.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Why is it necessary to put Johnny Weir down with a term like "flamboyant" in a thread that does not even have anything to do with him, Hsuhs?

And here is the meaning of FLAMBOYANT from the Urban Talk Dictionary, which defines how words are actually used in popular vernacular today:

Flamboyant

The talk meaning is gay
MAN he is is so flamboyant

Libby - why would you think that calling someone flamboyant or even gay would be a put-down. I know i certainly don't think either word is a put-down and certainly not relation to Weir.

Ant

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Now, with luck, we can all get back to discussing Fedor.

Here's some youtubes
Fedor's contribution at age 13 to Katia's Tribute to Sergei show. Interesting comments by Fedor. He skated his novice SP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4df53v8W9Q

His bronze medal free skate at Canadian Nationals in 2003 to Firebird
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbdYzx7G19M

His exhibition to Dave Matthews' Band Lover Lay Down 2003, Canadian Nationals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87ok3pfWEfY

Fedor and Yuri Nakano practicing SBS 3A's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcTPXS39XVQ

Fedor's interview before the 2008 Canadian championships
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj__0LOsSUk

Binthere

On the Ice
Fedor is a great talent. Would be exciting to see the charisma and athletic abilities pulled together. Would think such a unique timing of opportunities - Worlds in LA, Olympics in Canada - hopefully he'll feel compelled...

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Not necessarily. Remember that SOI poll Johnny Weir won like 7 to 1? Still no Johnny Weir in SOI shows. There must be some other criteria for selection as well. I hope Fedor has more luck. And that he's different in some aspects from Johnny. Less flamboyant or something.

That poll was not for eligible skaters to appear in SOI 2008 shows, because they were already selected as the poll started.

libby

Match Penalty
That poll was not for eligible skaters to appear in SOI 2008 shows, because they were already selected as the poll started.

No, the poll (done by Stars on Ice themselves, on their official web site) was for who should be the guest stars on the 2008 SOI tour from among the eligible skaters, after the competitive season had ended. The guest stars had not yet been chosen when the poll was done.

The candidates were Evan Lysacek, Johnny Weir, Stephen Carriere, Emily Hughes, Kimmie Meissner, Bebe Liang, Mirai Nagasu, Caroline Zhang, Rachel Flatt, Belbin & Agosto, McLaughlin & Brubaker, and Inoue & Baldwin.

Johnny won the poll overwhelmingly, with over 730 votes out of the 1100 cast. Evan received only 65 votes, but was hired as the male guest star by SOI. Kimmie Meissner got the female guest spot, and Belbin & Agosto the "duo" spot.

Last edited:

all that

Final Flight
Did Johnny (or anyone else for that matter) ever say why Johnny wasn't a guest star? Perhaps the spot was offered, but Johnny couldn't do it for other reasons.

libby

Match Penalty
Did Johnny (or anyone else for that matter) ever say why Johnny wasn't a guest star? Perhaps the spot was offered, but Johnny couldn't do it for other reasons.

At the risk of continuing to talk about Johnny on a thread that isn't supposed to be about him, I will answer a direct question about him:

Yes, he did say why he wasn't a guest star. Johnny was asked by a reporter at his pre-Worlds press conference that was audiocast on icenetwork if he would be appearing on the Stars on Ice tour with Evan, and he replied that he could not because SOI did not invite him.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have nothing new to add to this thread, but the topic is about Fedor. Can we keep it that way?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
No, the poll (done by Stars on Ice themselves, on their official web site) was for who should be the guest stars on the 2008 SOI tour from among the eligible skaters, after the competitive season had ended. The guest stars had not yet been chosen when the poll was done.

The guest stars were already chosen in time of that poll. It was not for the purpose which eligible skaters to be invited for the 2008 tour. There was a long discussion on SOI forum about the matter, LOL.

Johnny was asked by a reporter at his pre-Worlds press conference that was audiocast on icenetwork if he would be appearing on the Stars on Ice tour with Evan, and he replied that he could not because SOI did not invite him.

Wasn´t Weir actually scheduled to skate in Russia (or in some other foreign country) after the Worlds?

Last edited:

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well, if he could show that he has a huge fan base, maybe that would work. All the promoters care about are ticket sales, anyway. Have you started a fan club for him or anything? Maybe you could help him show the people who run things like CSOI that he's worth hiring. :)

I don't know the first thing about running a fan club, but if that's what's needed to convince those bigwigs that Fedor should be added to the CSOI cast, I'll do it (however mangled the end result may be)! :biggrin:

Fedor is a great talent. Would be exciting to see the charisma and athletic abilities pulled together. Would think such a unique timing of opportunities - Worlds in LA, Olympics in Canada - hopefully he'll feel compelled...

I've always felt that Fedor deserved to be the Canadian champion in 2003 and that he should've represented Canada at that year's Worlds. It makes me sad that a wonderful skater like him never got the chance to do so. :frown: :cry: Now that Canada 3 spots for the 2009 Worlds (and conceivably we might have 3 for 2010 Olympics), I hope he realizes that a podium finish at next year's Nats is within his reach if he's willing fix his shortcomings.

Just a thought: would Fedor be permitted to perform at this year's Skate Canada International gala because he's from Ottawa, or is the exhibition reserved solely for the competitors? I have a feeling he might show up at the competition to support the special lady in his life, and if he's going to be there, well, why not skate an entertaining program in front of his hometown audience?

Just a thought: would Fedor be permitted to perform at this year's Skate Canada International gala because he's from Ottawa, or is the exhibition reserved solely for the competitors?
Only competitors can skate in the gala.

There was a big whoop-de-do about this at Skate America in 1998. Todd Eldredge had won the previous four Skate Americas and was the reigning U.S. Champion. Michelle Kwan had won the previous three Skate Americas and was the reigning U.S. champion for ladies. They both decided to sit out the fall 1998 Skate America to take some time off after the Olympics.

This sent the organizers of Skate America into a tizzy. They thought no one would come to see the show without the two big stars. To save the show, both Michelle and Todd agreed to skate in the exhibition (it was in Detroit and Todd lived nearby.)

But the ISU would have none of it -- you play by the ISU rules or you don't play at all.

BTW, the winners were Yagudin and Butryskaya.

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Even more sadly, ISU would not allow the Protopopovs skate at the 2005 Cup of Russia gala. Nor, for that matter, did they allow them to skate in the gala when Europeans were held in Switzerland in 2002; in fact, at that point the Protopopovs even considered skating in the competition - but the ISU said no, that they had their chance to re-instate eligibility in 1994, they didn't do that, and there was no way they could skate in the ISU sponsored event. :no:

libby

Match Penalty
The guest stars were already chosen in time of that poll. It was not for the purpose which eligible skaters to be invited for the 2008 tour. There was a long discussion on SOI forum about the matter, LOL.

Again, the SOI online poll was done before SOI announced their 2008 guest stars. The poll itself simply asked "Who should guest star on the SOI tour?" It did not say "Who should guest star next year, in 2009?" Furthermore, Lysacek and Meissner had both said in just the week or two before the announcement that their touring plans post-Worlds had not yet been made, so apparently they had not been invited on the tour yet at that time. So it appears that you are incorrect, and the poll was in fact for the 2008 tour, but was disregarded by SOI. After Weir won by a landslide, SOI removed the poll from their website, and some people tried to excuse the fact that they had disregarded fans' wishes by claiming the poll was probably never intended to be about the 2008 tour, but there is simply no evidence at all to back that up, and it does not even really make sense, considering all of the timing.

Wasn´t Weir actually scheduled to skate in Russia (or in some other foreign country) after the Worlds?

Well, I'm gonna get yelled at again for responding to this, but as long as you keep directly asking the questions, I guess I'll keep answering them. The answer is no, Johnny was not scheduled to skate in Russia or any other foreign country right after Worlds last year. He did no touring during the time that Stars on Ice had their guest stars and was finishing up their tour. He made it clear in his response during the pre-Worlds teleconference that the only reason he was not doing SOI was because he was not invited.

It does seem to me that this thread should really stick to Fedor. I'm not really keen on talking about Johnny on a non-Johnny thread, so if people would stop asking direct questions about him, I would be happy to stop responding to them.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Again, the SOI online poll was done before SOI announced their 2008 guest stars. The poll itself simply asked "Who should guest star on the SOI tour?" It did not say "Who should guest star next year, in 2009?"

Well, neither did the poll say "who shall guest star on SOI 2008 tour", as far as I remember.... I don´t remember the exact date that poll started, but this seems to have appeared pretty soon after the US Nationals

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/evanlysacek/news.html

"February 21, 2008

Fresh off winning his second consecutive U.S. Championship, Evan will join the Emmy award-winning Smucker’s Stars on Ice tour for its final 11 shows, beginning March 27 in Cleveland, Ohio.

The two-time World Championship bronze medalist joins Stars on Ice following the 2008 World Championships, March 17-23 in Gothenburg, Sweden. Evan will skate in shows in Connecticut, Ohio, Massachuttes, Maine New Hampshire, New York and Pennsylvania."

The above means that the official decision about Lysacek in SOI was made before the above info was posted on his official website. My guess is that he got the invitation based on being a two-time World bronze medalist and the current US champion. Another matter is which US male skater will be invited for next spring.

Sorry, about the off-topic...

Last edited:

all that

Final Flight
I don't know the first thing about running a fan club, but if that's what's needed to convince those bigwigs that Fedor should be added to the CSOI cast, I'll do it (however mangled the end result may be)! :biggrin:

If you become the person who runs his official fan club, I'd think you'd also get the opportunity to meet him once in a while.