Tara dissed on E!NewsLive | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Tara dissed on E!NewsLive

astimegoesby

On the Ice
Tonichelle said:
Anyway... Tara, yes, normally has a better fasion sense... her black dress she wore at an event last year was very nice and age appropriate, and her hair was so pretty... and her makeup was tasteful... where's THAT Tara?

She's right here (I'm guessing this is the outfit you're referring to):

http://www.tararulz.com/gallery/awards/appearances/carouselofhopeball/index.html

IMO, if Tara wants to look more mature, she should definitely try this look more often. She kind of looks like (a more fully-clothed) Mariah Carey with that dress and hair.

I'd also like to see what Tara would look like as a brunette today (the same shade her hair was when she won 1997 Worlds at 14). I think that would probably make her look more mature as well.

rnmsnjd2000

Spectator
Tara

I think she looks fine. When I saw this thread I expected her to be dressed in a clown outfit or something. What she is wearing is age appropriate and similar to the clothes worn by the other girls at the awards. I think it is unfair of commentators to pick on her outfit and let the others slide by.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
The pictures from the Carousel Ball are gorgeous. I guess its a matter of preference, but I prefer to see Tara dressed and hairstyled more classically instead of the "messy teenybop skank" look. She looks so pretty in classic clothes and sleek, darker blonde hair. May the Audrey/Grace look is really the one for Tara.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
"I really blame this all on Sonia Henie who couldn't act but for the time Zanuck catered to her and her movies sold. They sold because she was an oddity - a dancer on blades who won gold 3 times. Then with Esther Williams coming into the movies with her swimming medals (and incredible body), it seemed like this was a path to movie stardom."

You forgot Johnny Weismiller. And what about Arnold S? IIRC, O.J. received critical aclaim for some of his films. Anyway, Tara isn'g going to turn her sport into a movie genre, unlike Sonja and Esther. She can't even skate anymore.

But I am a little confused. Are you blaming Sonja for Tara's lack of fashion sense? Huh?

Tar looks awful in those tight shiny blue pants three posts up. But she looks beautiful in the black dress.

I sent Tara a picture of me, all dressed up. Tara replied. "You're ugly and your wife dresses you funny." I guess my career in the movies is shot. I too blame Sonja Henie.

Mathman

Oh Berthe - Ya got me. I got lost in the discussion of Tara's acting skills and her graduation dress. Trust me, I have no flair for fashion.

But I did think of Johnny Weismuller and Buster Crabbe too, but I had already written what I was going to say and didn't want to go back as a list of sportspeople who became actors - all of whom by the way go back to the thirties and forties. OJ was the most recent one, I think. But that get's away from Tara. Carol Heiss one movie was in the fifties.

No Sonia had nothing to do with Tara's clothes and I was not implying that.

Joe:eek:

shdotz

On the Ice
Tara

I wonder who Tara Lapinski is.

I see who she pretends to be.

I like that black dress; perhaps her hair could be swept back similar to what Jane Pauley used to do with her long hair, or Princess Grace. I think that type of hair style would fit nicely.

Notice that a lot of the photos shows her with her chin down and eyes kinda slanted, looking demurely to the right or left.

I've never been a fan of Tara's for many reasons. I remember one statement she made when she went pro. Asked why she was going pro, she advised that she wanted to compete with higher competition (something like that) and compete against Kristi Yamaguchi (sp?); well, she never did. IN the competitions I watched, Tara was the better skater - she had no competition.
So much for that.

I'd like to see a more mature Tara - a genuine, realistic Tara come forth and show interest in others for a change.

We never know why people are as the are, but if we listen and watch we can pretty well tell. I do wish the best for her.

sh

Oreo

On the Ice
Check out the picture of Tara on the back page of the Star (September 9 issue). This outfit should lay to rest any question about Tara's fashion sense. The Star calls her dress a "terrifying body scrunchie." Yikes!! Where does she find these clothes?:eek:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tara made her name in figure skating and probably will not be able to continue as a skater due to arthritis in the hip she injured practicing those 3L/3Ls.

She does indeed want to continue in the limelight by switching to an acting career. What is unfortunate is that she doesn't have much in the way of acting talent. I have seen her in many of her TV appearances, including her latest role on "Seventh Heaven" and I haven't seen a great deal of improvement in her acting abilities. She has learned to speak better, but she is no threat in the acting department.

Sadly, if she is truly unable to skate any more, she will find it more difficult to get acting roles. Her skating gives her name recognition, but as her skating career fades away, the cachet will fade away too.

As for her taste in clothing, after years of glitz and glitter in SOI, it is not surprising that she prefers the flashy to the tasteful. The skin part, well, Tara still has a pre-teen figure, so there is very little showing even when there is a lot showing.

I wish her a lot of luck. It has to be hard to give up what has been one's bread and butter for the past 5 years.

Tara looks sharp in that blue costume.

About Tara and others wanting to stay in the limelight after their "fifteen minutes of fame," I think this is all part of the Olympic Gold Medal mystique. Yes, winning the top prize is a wonderful accomplishment. But life goes on. There are no guarentees. I admire most the people who can keep such an accomplishment in perspective. Two examples:

Kristi Yamaguchi won a medal, but rather than spending the rest of her life looking backward at it, she plunged forward into a rewarding career as a professional entertainer, taking her skating to ever new heights.

Olympic Gold Medalist Alexei Urmanov learned to take the good with the bad, both before and after his triumph. He continued to work hard at his profession, dispite many setbacks, and also perservered as a patriot and as a husband and father.

I appreciate athletes like these, who seem to be grounded in reality, more than I do those who let one 4 minute skate define their whole lives.

Mathman

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Tara is a classic example of "Be careful what you wish for." She got her wish, she won an Olympic Gold Medal and became a star, but she paid a dear, physical price for it with her hip. Now her skating possibilities are limited, and I don't think she understands that her "go for it" attitude might not bring her quick success in acting like it did when she skated. I agree that with her "skating persona" fading out, some of her celebrity appeal will fade, too, and that can't help her in Hollywood. As I've said before, while she is a natural skater, she is no natural actress and hasn't made much of an impression in acting from what I can see except amongst her most ardent fans. I haven't seen any info about her taking any acting classes or doing anything to really work toward improving her acting skills--she seems to be relying on her "star power" to get her in the door. It will interesting to see where she is in her life when the next Olympics roles around.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tara HAS been taking acting lessons over the past year or so. The only thing that has improved is her overall speech. She used to 'clutter'---jumble words together, and speak too fast and in spurts. She is able to read a line now so that you can understand what she is saying.

The bad news is that the acting part isn't really any better. She just doesn't have the basic talent and all the lessons and classes in the world won't make her into a creditable actress.

It's sort of like Britney Spears yearning to be an opera singer. It ain't gonna happen.

IDLERACER

Medalist
I have only seen two episodes of 7th Heaven (the two she was on...I believe they are rerunning them this week). For the record, from what I've observed, she is easily the best actor on the show, (which believe me, is extremely faint praise). As long as this program remains on the air, she'll definitely have steady employment. After all, they've already got an unconvincing minister, an unconvincing cop, an unconvincing fireman, an unconvincing doctor, and unconvincing seminary student, and even an unconvincing dog, so why shouldn't they also have an unconvincing whore? Please note that every single one of these people would make very convincing clothing catalogue models (see picture below).

[url]http://www.abs-cbn.com/studio23/gifs-shows/7thheaven1.jpg[/URL]

IDLERACER

Medalist
Why those dirty scoundrels! It was there a second ago! Click on the little green smiley and tell me if you see anyone who resembles a real human being and not a department store mannequin:

:D

berthes ghost

Final Flight
For a moment, I mistook Mary for Tara! It must have been the blue outfit. LOL

Shall I assume the dork behind Lucy is her cop husband? When did Ruby's hair go straight?

Anywho, speaking of Tara looking good in dark blue, apparently it's her favorite color. I recently read a quote by Lauren Sheean where she was always trying to get Tara to try other colors (Lalique pink costume for example) but Tara always vetoed and went back to dark blue. Funny. I had read the same thing about Joan Crawford years ago.

If you look at Tara's Tara, you'll notice that every single room is decorated in the same shades of yellow and blue that her "heidi-goes-yodeling" SP costume was. Interesting.