Julia Sebestyn speaks about skating | Golden Skate

Julia Sebestyn speaks about skating

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Dear me. In one way,it's too bad she doesn't read skating boards. Then she'd know that being called "Granny" isn't because she's old. It's short for "Granny Hair". However, I'm not sure knowing that would make her happier or sadder...

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've always loved watching her jump! Her jumps are so high! Very reminiscent of Midori Ito and Nicole Bobek . . . her amplitude gives her jumps a spectacular effect when she does them well.

I wish Julia lots of luck! :thumbsup:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Quotation: "Also, it is very important to have a good technical controller. If they don't like you, you can lose many points."

This is probably the saddest part of COP to me. Like there's just as much subjectivity as ever, but few acknowledge it.

Nice interview, she's so poised and thoughtful sounding.

Question: How is the "J" pronounced in Hungary? Is it like an English j, or an English "h" sound (as it would be in some Germanic languages, so her name would be pronounced "Hulia"), or is it a "y" sound (Yulia)? Thanks!

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
^Thanks! For some reason, "Julia" and "Yulia" are very musical sounding to me, but "Hulia" sounds terrible. I'm glad it is "Yulia"!

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I know that it was her hair that inspired the "Granny" name, but I've always considered her an old-fashioned skater, with many of the virtues that skaters had back in the day: clean, powerful jumping technique on most of her jumps and finished positions in her spins. She's always been one of my favorites.