The gymnastics thread | Page 5 | Golden Skate

The gymnastics thread

Proof that gymnastics now has even dumber scoring than skating:
Not so sure Doris, Figure Skating gives out wrist slaps for the most part but Gymnastics really hits hard.

The worst sport for breaking a tie is Soccer (Fusbol or whatever you want to all it).

Medusa

Record Breaker
The worst sport for breaking a tie is Soccer (Fusbol or whatever you want to all it).

It's called football - I think most people love the penalty shoot out (or at least most people in Germany, the English tend to screw it up every time :laugh:) - it's so exciting.

I think that both gymnastics and figure skating shouldn't try to break these ties. It wouldn't hurt anyone to award two golds (or two national titles).

ChrisH

On the Ice
Oops, I had Un Jong Hong 3rd on highest average vault score prior to the event final (ahead of Alicia and Oksana), but then forgot about it. With Shawn Johnson not competiting and Fei Cheng's fall, the gold went to Hong almost by default. The vaulting was not as good as one would expect for a final. Hong had steps on both of her landings. I think that if Johnson had competed, she would have won the gold medal. :banging:

The procedure for tie breaking is absolutely crazy nuts-one of the tie breakers is averaging the 3 lowest judges, which overvalues the very lowest judge, allowing a great opening for corruption (not that this happened here. This is just a really dumb tie breaker. You shouldn't want to overvalue either the highest or the lowest score in a tie breaker, I would think.
Well, I guess what it means is that if you are an individual judge and you want to tip the scales to your favorite, it is better to dump on the other girl than to inflate your girl's score.

Maybe there is actually a tiny bit of reason to this. You know who you want to help, but you might not know who you have to hold down.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
About Oksana Chusovitina, I find it kind of embarrassing that the only medals we get, in Gymnastics and Figure Skating, are won by skaters who we "bought" from other countries (I mean, Savchenko too!).
Why don't you look at it another way. Germany "bought" Chusovitina by saving her son's life. Would you rather your country spend resources on training gymnasts who can win medals, or on doctors who can save lives?

A few days ago, NPR ran a story where Indians were talking about what an embarrassment it is to have such a poor athletic performance in comparison to China next door. I couldn't help feeling that the results to correlate inversely with things such as democracy and the quality of living...

n*ice mom

Spectator
Does anyone know where I can find a list of the floor exercise music for each Olympic competitor?

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
Ähm, didn't Liukin tell in an interview that (oops, found it: NBC article, look at question number 6) Sasha's short was her inspiration?

About Oksana Chusovitina, I find it kind of embarrassing that the only medals we get, in Gymnastics and Figure Skating, are won by skaters who we "bought" from other countries (I mean, Savchenko too!). Ah well...

Yeah, I KNOW that Sasha's music was Nastia's inspiration, but it is an entirely different arrangement. I don't know who performed Nastia's music or Sasha's, but I like the version that Nastia uses a lot better. Yes, it is still "Dark Eyes" but hers is more pleasant to listen to than Sasha's IMHO.

There were Men in Gymnastics, too!

I particularly like the French guy with his innovated moves and giving them all that strength on the watchamacallit ropes.

The Chinese were good but nothing innovative. All the tricks you've seen before.

Johar

Medalist
Does anyone know where I can find a list of the floor exercise music for each Olympic competitor?

Try You Tube. Often someone in the "Comments" will know the musician or arrangement.

I really like Jiang Yuyuan's Floor music.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
So happy for Shawn Johnson. She really deserved to come away with a gold medal at these olympics and finally justice was done on the balance beam. :love:

beep_beep

Medalist
In the FIG main site there's a section with the gymnasts biographies. Most of them have their musics listed, but sometimes it is from previous years...

Last edited:

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
The procedure for tie breaking is absolutely crazy nuts-one of the tie breakers is averaging the 3 lowest judges, which overvalues the very lowest judge, allowing a great opening for corruption (not that this happened here. This is just a really dumb tie breaker. You shouldn't want to overvalue either the highest or the lowest score in a tie breaker, I would think.

I did find it kind of weird, but at least it beats giving out two golds!

bekalc

Record Breaker
Oh please, Michelle Malkin. :rolleye: Her retoric tends to grate on my nerves. The fact that she uses such an offensive term like ChiCom through out the article just kills her credibility here. My advice to Malkin, Bella and Martha and anyone else: just let like it go, our team was obviously not at their best that night. winning the silver metal is nothing to be upset about. We should be proud of our team, they did the best they could. Actually Pavlova was very good but I thought it was Semonova who should have won the bronze, yes, I agree that the chinese were overscored on the beam. The score that Liukin recieved on her vault was atrocious.

Semonova should not have won bronze. The Chinese girl won the bronze quite fairly.

Semenova was hurt because she only did a Y1.5 and she had only a 5.8 A score on floor. The Chinese girl did a DTY with beautiful form, and had a 6.2 A score on floor. Semenova's low start values killed her. She rightfully scored higher than Yang, on beam, but Yang out scored her rightfully on every other apparatus.

Plus Yang wasn't that overscored on beam. She lost a whole point on her B score.. Yang has lovely extension/lines and technique. Everything else except for her wobbles/some connections was spot on. She has amazing technique on things like her twists etc which eliminate other deductions. How much would you take for a wobble? normally it's about a tenth. 15.7 out of a 6.7 A score may have been a bit high, but it shouldn't have been that much lower than a tenth or two.

The point is though without the wobbles, Yang would probably be scoring 16 plus on beam because she's so gorgeous on the event and has such lovely extension and lines. Yang did lose quiet a few points on beam for her wobbles.

The point? Yang beat Ksensia by seven tenths. Your not going to seriously argue that Yang deserved to lose 1.7 points on her beam routine because she wobbled a few times? Cheng Fei and Alicia didn't get that for FALLING.

Last edited:

Ginask8s

On the Ice
So happy for Shawn Johnson. She really deserved to come away with a gold medal at these olympics and finally justice was done on the balance beam. :love:

I feel like both Nastia and Shawn walked away with what they came for. I was so happy for Shawn who was really judged pretty hard at these olympics. And lets not forget about Horton. He rocked the high bar! What a way to end the Olympics!!!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to the ladies of Team USA, especially to Nastia and Shawn. Also, Congrats to the ladies of Team China. Great competition between two teams who showed us excellence, grace, good sportsmanship and perseverance under pressure. WOW!!.

Johar

Medalist
Too bad Anna Pavlova had a horrible time. She is so much better than how she performed.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Here is where I’m forced to show my ignorance of even the basic aspects of the sport. :biggrin:

Listening to all the talk of how Alicia was like a mentor / advisor / older sister to the other American girls, I was under the impression that these girls were some kind of a “team”, like a baseball team or a hockey team. But I’ve been doing a little reading, and it seems like that’s not the case. It seems like the best 6 girls in the United States were assembled just for the Olympics. They are not really part of a permanent "team". Is this correct?

Here is where I’m forced to show my ignorance of even the basic aspects of the sport. :biggrin:

Listening to all the talk of how Alicia was like a mentor / advisor / older sister to the other American girls, I was under the impression that these girls were some kind of a “team”, like a baseball team or a hockey team. But I’ve been doing a little reading, and it seems like that’s not the case. It seems like the best 6 girls in the United States were assembled just for the Olympics. They are not really part of a permanent "team". Is this correct?
Yes, I think so.

It's like when the U.S. sent the "team" of Kimmie, Ashley and Bebe to Worlds last year.

But I think they do have some training sessions together before the Olys. They are more "team-like" than in figure skating because different gymnasts are selected to go on different aparatuses, and they can win a team medal by adding up the scores of all the girls. So one girl might be chosen for the team because she is an expert on, say, the vault, even though that might mean leaving a better all around girl off the team.

You are correct, they are not! And Figure Skating when they gathered up Teams for Sunday afternoons a few years back, they were different each Sunday. :sheesh:

I think some Sports do not lend themselves to the Team spirit, although I believe there is one contest in golf that does take it seriously.

My team, of course, is the NY Mets who I am super nervous about this time of the year. They tend to go into a losing streak in August. I've been to Shea a few times but the new one stadium (being built) is looking more and more like Camden Yards in Baltimore.